• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Backroads with Gravel Guy

Reaction score
Mark asked me if I wanted to go "just south of Shiloh" to see some purple flowers he thought might be nice to photograph. Sure! Any chance to practice and improve my photography. Grab some coffee, the camera, and off we go!

We saw some hogs right up by the road, but the noise of the truck had them hightailing it out of there by the time I was able to get out and try for a shot.

Hogs1_5-1-2016-L.jpg

I had seen some scissor tails down the road, they won't let me get close enough with the lens I have.

scissortail3_5-1-2016-L.jpg
scissortail2_5-1-2016-L.jpg

So, I took some pictures of flowers instead.

thistle2_5-1-2016-L.jpg

As I was getting back in the truck the dew on a dandelion and the grass caught my eye.

dandelion_5-1-2016-L.jpg
dew_5-1-2016-L.jpg

It looks like a toy in the pictures, but this crane is huge!

dragline_crane5-1-2016-L.jpg

Along a gravel road were some cute calves.

calf1_5-1-2016-L.jpg
calf2_5-1-2016-L.jpg
calf2a_5-1-2016-L.jpg
(color or black and white?)

Oh, here are the flowers ... where was Shiloh again? Not even sure where we are now.

bluesage1_5-1-2016-L.jpg
bee1_5-1-2016-L.jpg
bee3_5-1-2016-L.jpg
bee2_5-1-2016-L.jpg

The clouds were rolling in.

bluesage3_5-1-2016-L.jpg

And more wildflowers by the road.

flower3_5-1-2016-L.jpg
flowers4_5-1-2016-L.jpg

More cows, I was looking for a really young calf but didn't see one today.

cow_5-1-2016-L.jpg
calf4_5-1-2016-L.jpg

And, still chasing birds.

scissortail4_5-1-2016-L.jpg

Thought the goats might be interesting, hmmm :doh:

goat_5-1-2016-L.jpg

Enjoyed the morning....and a slow pace of noticing nature and piddling down county roads....

Looks like you're having fun with the camera!

If only the Brahma cross with the ear cut had BOTH full ears in the shots, that would have been my favorite of the batch.

Keep at it. You're progression is obvious for where you were just a few short months ago. :clap:

Looks like you're having fun with the camera!

If only the Brahma cross with the ear cut had BOTH full ears in the shots, that would have been my favorite of the batch.

Keep at it. You're progression is obvious for where you were just a few short months ago. :clap:

More like this? I accidentally got a blade of grass in front of his nose and didn't like the flies on his back. Silly, I know.

Attachments

• calf_c_5-1-2016.jpg
    calf_c_5-1-2016.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 267
I hadn't noticed the fly's so they are probably insignificant. Besides, cows have flys on 'em all the time, right?

As for the blade of grass, I'd try to use a brush and simply paint over the lighter grass area and drop the exposure to match the rest of the cow. So you can tell the B&W was my favorite of the set.

On a related note, heifer #8 (11/24/2015) rocks! :deal:

Pictures of flowers, bees, birds, calfs and not one of the Gravel Guy!

Nice shots...

These were taken on our property, couldn't resist exploring in the rain :-)

raindrops1_5-8-2016-L.jpg

All the mushrooms I took pictures of last week are gone. Found these on an old stump.

Mushrooms2_5-8-2016-L.jpg

I dislike the grasshoppers but followed this one as he was climbing a stalk of grass. Looks like he is waving at me ...

grasshopper_5-8-2016-L.jpg

Enjoying a quiet Mother's Day :zen:

Am I the only one that doesn't see an aperture setting when viewing the EXIF info for these files?

My hover over plug in doesn't show aperture on images from smugmug. In fact, none of my plug ins show it for smugmug, even my own pics. However, if I click on the image it takes you to smugmug and you can click the info button in the lower right. f3.2

It was a trick., I assure you. The wife's comment back then when I showed her the picture. " I've never seen a turtle with a red crown " .

Back