• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bam Bam to Gas Gas,.......maybe

Reaction score
First Name
David
Rumors abound....

Sheesh, if ya can't ride a Yamaha, its probably time to do a deep personal skill set evaluation.

Sheesh, if ya can't ride a Yamaha, its probably time to do a deep personal skill set evaluation.
A lot of good riders have had trouble on the Yamaha 450.

Webb, Millsaps, Grant, Brayton, Barcia, etc

All guys who have done great on other bikes that struggled on the Yamaha. Webb left Yamaha and won a sx title.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Only the 450 though. Yamaha's 250 dominates. I do think they have improved the 450 though, from the time Webb left. I think Barcia is part of the issue, otherwise he would not have to settle for a 3rd tier or worse KTM ride in the form of Gas Gas.

Only the 450 though. Yamaha's 250 dominates. I do think they have improved the 450 though, from the time Webb left. I think Barcia is part of the issue, otherwise he would not have to settle for a 3rd tier or worse KTM ride in the form of Gas Gas.
Barcia does leave a lot to be desired.

But I wouldn't call it a 3rd tier ride, KTM will dump as much money into gas gas that they spend on Rockstar husky. They wanted gas gas so they could have yet another army of bikes to put up front.

Barcia does leave a lot to be desired.

But I wouldn't call it a 3rd tier ride, KTM will dump as much money into gas gas that they spend on Rockstar husky. They wanted gas gas so they could have yet another army of bikes to put up front.

Maybe so. Husky is different the way I see it. Gas Gas is already not going to have as many different models available for purchase here in the USA, and looking at how they are spec'd--wheels, brakes, etc. tells a lot.

Maybe so. Husky is different the way I see it. Gas Gas is already not going to have as many different models available for purchase here in the USA, and looking at how they are spec'd--wheels, brakes, etc. tells a lot.
Those are the production bikes. Tld gas gas, just as when it was tld KTM is a factory effort, so expect the bikes to be set up accordingly

Those are the production bikes. Tld gas gas, just as when it was tld KTM is a factory effort, so expect the bikes to be set up accordingly

Then if they are set up like KTM factory bikes, why would they "set on" a rider like Barcia? So they can get an occasional podium, if it is a mud race? Or an occasional top 5 if enough riders crash out?

Then if they are set up like KTM factory bikes, why would they "set on" a rider like Barcia? So they can get an occasional podium, if it is a mud race? Or an occasional top 5 if enough riders crash out?
Because under the right circumstances barcia can and has won sx and mx races. So if he is on a red KTM, which to most guys is a better bike, why wouldn't his results improve?

Ah, the world of racing is infinitely debatable and such a cool mix of tech and human attributes. I enjoy reading yall's opinions. I wish there would be a difference when I rode a KTM vs. a Yamaha. It would suggest my skills are not always the limiting factor :-)

Between KTM, Husky and GG they are going to get some serious Exposure. Thats what they want. Wondering if Bam Bam is going to be training with Baker?
I'd like to see a KTM engine in a GG trials bike. The current GG engines are OK but not smooth like the KTM.

Between KTM, Husky and GG they are going to get some serious Exposure. Thats what they want. Wondering if Bam Bam is going to be training with Baker?
I'd like to see a KTM engine in a GG trials bike. The current GG engines are OK but not smooth like the KTM.
I highly doubt that we will see him at bakers

A lot of good riders have had trouble on the Yamaha 450.

Webb, Millsaps, Grant, Brayton, Barcia, etc

All guys who have done great on other bikes that struggled on the Yamaha. Webb left Yamaha and won a sx title.

yuppp that’s me ... love the first and second generation Yz450. 2010+ you must be a super strong and a good rider. Fast yes, but top heavy and ill turning. Yamaha won the Supercross title in 2004, 2007, 2008 and 2009 That says a lot.

Now the kiss of death for poor Mookie, signing with Star Yamaha to ride SX. Did he not check with his big brother first?

Speaking of the 2009 yzf 450, I remember Charlie Mullins flying on one at a National Enduro our club hosted. That dude was crazy fast on that generation of Yamaha.

Back