• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bambi Took Me Out!

I saw about 57 dead squirrels on the road in the DFW area today. We live in unprecedented times!

Last evening, while trolling my semi-country neighborhood (Spring Branch) at 14mph, a young deer strolled out across the street. If I had not slowed to near stopped, I would have smacked right into her side. It's as if she thought, "Oh cool, I can see thanks to this nice motorcyclist lighting up the road for me. I will go there now."

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

When out riding Hill Country roads or through forested areas, sighting a deer near the road put me in instant panic stop mode, I'd at least slow waaay down.

This BC comic strip today sort of summed up the total mindlessness of deer:

Venison - You Are What You Eat.JPG

Last evening, while trolling my semi-country neighborhood (Spring Branch) at 14mph, a young deer strolled out across the street. If I had not slowed to near stopped, I would have smacked right into her side. It's as if she thought, "Oh cool, I can see thanks to this nice motorcyclist lighting up the road for me. I will go there now."
While on a certified ride attempt a couple of years ago I was north of Flaming Gorge UT at about 10 pm and there were eyes lighting up in every corner I went through. I slowed to about 50 until I came around one corner and Bambi was standing still in my lane. I came to a stop about ten feet from her and waited. She finally moseyed off to the side and I continued on my way, but at about 35 - 40 mph and quit the ride once I reached Rock Springs WY.

I've ridden at night in Elk / Deer country in AZ, NM, CO, UT, and TX and that stretch of highway was by far the most saturated with deer and elk that I've even seen.

I lost track of what year it was but the same thing happened to me a week or so before Thanksgiving on my way to work. It was fairly cold so I had on a lot of layers but still ended up with a broken shoulder blade, a few ribs and was knocked out for a short while. Not enough of a concussion to not remember where I was but nothing after "O ****" and then someone asking what happened. It was a long time before I could bend down and stand back up without feeling dizzy. If it wasn't for ATGATT, I would be toast.
I only had Liability, med coverage and comprehensive insurance. Bambi is a Comp coverage, not collision.
I hope you heal well and as soon as possible.

While on a certified ride attempt a couple of years ago I was north of Flaming Gorge UT at about 10 pm and there were eyes lighting up in every corner I went through. I slowed to about 50 until I came around one corner and Bambi was standing still in my lane. I came to a stop about ten feet from her and waited. She finally moseyed off to the side and I continued on my way, but at about 35 - 40 mph and quit the ride once I reached Rock Springs WY.

I've ridden at night in Elk / Deer country in AZ, NM, CO, UT, and TX and that stretch of highway was by far the most saturated with deer and elk that I've even seen.

I had a similar experience on Az 191 North of the mine riding with Rsquared and Jfink a few years back. It was a nice balmy 28 F and dark. I had the BIG lights added to the GS so I could see and there were deer standing in the road around many of those blind corners. I was a bit "tense" until we reached the lodge at Hannegan Meadow.

I had a similar experience on Az 191 North of the mine riding with Rsquared and Jfink a few years back. It was a nice balmy 28 F and dark. I had the BIG lights added to the GS so I could see and there were deer standing in the road around many of those blind corners. I was a bit "tense" until we reached the lodge at Hannegan Meadow.
I went through there on the same ride I mentioned above. I started from Douglas so that I would hit the Devil's Highway right at sunrise so I didn't have to navigate the curves and watch for forest critters at the same time. It didn't matter, I had one come down the side of the hill and cross right in front of me. I was hard on the brakes and just barely missed him.

Pics of the bike. I have surgery scheduled for Wednesday.

Attachments

• 6CEEFEB3-44C2-4BFA-BCE0-F4103B591BED.png
    6CEEFEB3-44C2-4BFA-BCE0-F4103B591BED.png
    954.5 KB · Views: 168
  • ED422B8D-AED1-4431-98D3-16D4B5D075FF.png
    ED422B8D-AED1-4431-98D3-16D4B5D075FF.png
    912.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 6288E424-5C8A-4115-BB62-C07EB6EB425E.png
    6288E424-5C8A-4115-BB62-C07EB6EB425E.png
    935.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 0495D2C2-8DD4-43C7-A332-91FF14327109.png
    0495D2C2-8DD4-43C7-A332-91FF14327109.png
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 174
Well, if your insurance coverage and company are decent, then I see that as good news. You can heal up, then buy a new ride and have confidence its in tip-top shape.

Yeah but I bet that pissed off woman who drove him home will have something to say about a new bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back