• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Barnwell Mountain

Anyone have a gps track of the motorcycle trails? I have a print-out of the map from the Barnwell Mountain web site but I assume it is only showing the jeep trails.

The map shows the MC trails, but to be honest the map is terrible.

We are working on collecting GPS data for the entire trail system and I am inputting same into a GIS map.

Once we have clean data ... spring hopefully ... we will have the data and the revised maps available on our forums.

The map shows the MC trails, but to be honest the map is terrible.

I only tracked about 16 miles out of 31 that we rode yesterday. (Bad batteries :headbang:) But it doesn't look like anything on the Barnwell map that came off the web site.

I only tracked about 16 miles out of 31 that we rode yesterday. (Bad batteries :headbang:) But it doesn't look like anything on the Barnwell map that came off the web site.

We are collecting new GPS data now.

Assuming you were using a Garmin GPS, can I get a copy of your data? Having too much data should not be an issue.

We are collecting new GPS data now.

Assuming you were using a Garmin GPS, can I get a copy of your data? Having too much data should not be an issue.

No problem. Yes, it is a Garmin. PM me your email address, and I'll send it tonight.

Tony:

After studying that route on my Garmin, I believe that I had the gps set so that the routing would follow the closest road. I should have turned that feature off. :doh: You'll notice that it appears we got on the main ridge but we didn't. We parked on the ridge across from the pavillion (to the West). The trail actually went South from there. Sorry. Just means I'll have to go back and do it all over again!! :rider:

Tony:

After studying that route on my Garmin, I believe that I had the gps set so that the routing would follow the closest road. I should have turned that feature off. :doh: You'll notice that it appears we got on the main ridge but we didn't. We parked on the ridge across from the pavillion (to the West). The trail actually went South from there. Sorry. Just means I'll have to go back and do it all over again!! :rider:

It appears that you found a lot of the trails on the NE side of the park ...

747600337_TiEpo-L.jpg

I overlaid your track and made it nice and fat so it could be seen.

Tony

Hey Tony anything I need to know before my bother and I head out there Friday. Are you going to be working on trails Fri, Sat, or Sun. We will be camping at Xterra Camp if you want to head down for a cold beverage.

Justin:

We will be working on X-Way where it intersects with Horse Shoe Gulch on the lower end. The other place we will be is along Linda Gail between Xterra Camp and the intersection nearest Clyde's Ravine.

Look for the tractor ...

I'll definitely stop by Xterra.

Richard said be sure and bring your bike and gear to EDRA. We'll show you the trail system. I am getting a new tire for the rear of both my 200 and 400.

I hope that I am not to slow for you out at EDRA. Look like I might have my Jeep and Dirt Bike at BMRA.

Some friends and I have been really curious about this place since I happened to ride by it last year on the sportbike. I'm really fond of hill climbing on the bike and there aren't a lot of places around here for that. There's just one possible issue. When I looked on the web site a long time ago (neither of the ones listed in the third post), it said there's a speed limit of 15 MPH. Now I wouldn't blast around at 50 MPH, but my two-stroke will foul a plug if I don't get on it every once in a while. Is this rule strictly enforced?

I'm pretty sure that's just for the main road that goes through the park.

Some friends and I have been really curious about this place since I happened to ride by it last year on the sportbike. I'm really fond of hill climbing on the bike and there aren't a lot of places around here for that. There's just one possible issue. When I looked on the web site a long time ago (neither of the ones listed in the third post), it said there's a speed limit of 15 MPH. Now I wouldn't blast around at 50 MPH, but my two-stroke will foul a plug if I don't get on it every once in a while. Is this rule strictly enforced?

The roads do have a speed limit. I believe the trails are at your discretion for the conditions. Keep in mind that most, if not all, trails are two directional. Some of the single tracks have a lot of blind turns and two bikes meeting at 50mph would be ugly.:eek2: I haven't heard of any enforcement on the trails but, people have been run off for using the main roads like an open stretch of Baja penisula.

Well that sounds like that might work then. Like I said, I wasn't planning on blasting around at 50 MPH, but every once in a while, I need to hammer on it a little up to 3rd or 4th gear (around 30 MPH) and heat up the spark plug or I'll be changing them often. I may have to check this place out.

I rode Barnwell area when I was connected with Lone Star Steel and James Barfield Ent...Back when the park and property was a rest area..It's about 7-8 miles from my house...If I pick up a Fat Old Fart approved dirt bike cheap I may get interested again..Back then I was riding a BSA GS 500...See I'm telling my age. :eek2:

The roads do have a speed limit. I believe the trails are at your discretion for the conditions. Keep in mind that most, if not all, trails are two directional. Some of the single tracks have a lot of blind turns and two bikes meeting at 50mph would be ugly.:eek2: I haven't heard of any enforcement on the trails but, people have been run off for using the main roads like an open stretch of Baja penisula.
Two-way trails?...I don't see how that works. I have never been to an OHV area except for Ocotillo Wells in SoCal, but at least it's wide open desert for the most part so you can see other traffic. Barnwell looks fairly wooded. How does traffic going both ways do so with any degree of safety? I've been a member out at the site of the Concho Enduro on the Texas enduro circuit since about 1980. We have about 80-90 miles of trail, but it all goes one-way. We reverse it every couple of years, but it always goes one-way. How do OHV places like Barnwell work with head-on traffic in the woods?

There isn't much traffic there. I went on a weekend and rode all day. I saw two other dirt bikes in the parking area, two sand rails, and 3 rock crawlers all day. There isn't room in most of the woods to go that fast anyway, it was mostly second gear for me.

While the two track ATV and Jeep trails are two way, the single track portions of the motorcycle trail at BMRA are one way (clockwise). Most single track sections have signs at the exits informing riders that by entering they are going the wrong way.

Speed limits are in effect on all roads. The MC single track trails have no limit.

Can anyone tell me what Barnwells' current pricing structure looks like?
Do you also know if there are any discount considerations available to families?

Thanx Budh just spent a half hour noodling thru their site.
Have driven by it many times enroute to go woods riding up in NW Arkansas. Had heard that it was some kind of off road colaberation project, but never happened to see anyone coming or going with bikes. Looks like I am way over due to check it out.
Just in time for some of our best Texas riding weather too. Think I will go have a look this next Sunday.

There is a small group of locals there arriving Sunday morning 8:00 - 9:00am. Most are done by 1:00 or 2:00pm. I'm usually at the pavilion in a red Ford pickup. Others are to the north of the pavilion near the covered picnic table. Any of those guys would be good to meet and point you in the right direction. Maps are available at the office.

Hey Bud, you were the fellow that helped me with my broken throttle cable aren't ya? Just a couple of Sundays ago?

Back