• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Barrancas Del Cobre - 2016

Reaction score
First Name
David
AKA: Copper Canyon

It's just tentative right now, but Becky and I are planning on spending 7-10 days there this November on our dual sports. It could possibly shift to early December. We are okay riding by ourselves, but are also okay if others want to join in on the fun. It will be our first trip there on bikes.

Feel free to share advice or if you are interested.

Mucho Gracias

David

There's a really excellent map of the canyon system, I'll try to locate it for ya

You could do the classic Creel to Los Mochis ride in the back country then load the bikes on El Chepe and take the scenic train back to Creel (or Chihuahua)

It's going to be great!

There's a really excellent map of the canyon system, I'll try to locate it for ya

You could do the classic Creel to Los Mochis ride in the back country then load the bikes on El Chepe and take the scenic train back to Creel (or Chihuahua)

It's going to be great!

Thanks Bob. I appreciate your recommendations and advice. I doubt we will do the train, but you never know.

The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning towards doing the canyon, then take the ferry from Los Mochis over to LaPaz and ride up the peninsula. It sure would be nice to have a vehicle staged at the border in Cali. We shall see...

The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning towards doing the canyon, then take the ferry from Los Mochis over to LaPaz and ride up the peninsula. It sure would be nice to have a vehicle staged at the border in Cali. We shall see...

You do. It's called U-Haul ;-)

We are on the road.

Ms Tailwind at Ojinaga

image_zpsxzybtsox.jpg

The pipeline in the background is the Trans-pecos pipeline that is under construction. This picture was taken about 1/2 way between Oinajga and Chihuahua on 16. Major construction on this thing for hundreds of miles...

image_zpsh3e9rsyc.jpg

Okay, we ended up staying two nights in Chihuahua. We stayed at the Santa Regina in the heart of down town

image_zpsqsdexugv.jpg

Moto parking at hotel

image_zpsvgrq84qj.jpg

We are in Creel today. Mucho windy and cold. Headed to Batopilas manyana.

image_zpsax5iudxc.jpg

Last edited:
We are staying at Hotel Kachina in Creel. I highly recommend it. Gas heaters in each room and a fireplace in lobby. I just checked on the road to Batopilas to see if it was open. Reportedly, they are doing some construction where the road has washed out or slid off its base. The road is open, but I'm told there is a good chance of snow tonight. We are ready for some dirt.

Back