• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Barstow to Vegas 2017 Planning Thread

Here is 2013 Barstow to Vegas only.

Green is the easy route. Red is the hard route. Mauve/green is the ADV route.

I'm afraid that my 2013 Palmdale to Barstow route starts at the secret dacha in OC and cannot be shared. ;-)

Attachments

• LAB2VTracks.gpx
    843.3 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Yes, barring the unforeseen, I am planning to go for sure. Hoping i can pay close enough attn to the registration count to snag #87. If so I will be officially registered. If I miss my getting my favorite number, then I probably won't register until last minute. Just in case something gets in the way of my going.

It looks like you're only 3 away!

Also, if anyone is looking for a riding partner or there's a small group I could jump in that would be cool. I'm planning on the harder routes.:rider:

Joe

I'm also looking for someone or group to ride with/in. This is my first desert run. I'm riding a 17 ktm 500. Been riding in the dirt for almost 10 years now, consider myself to be novice rider. I'm interested in trying the hard routes, but I'm not very experienced at rock climbing. Not sure if there is a lot of that type of riding out there. Can't wait for thanksgiving!

I'm also looking for someone or group to ride with/in. This is my first desert run. I'm riding a 17 ktm 500. Been riding in the dirt for almost 10 years now, consider myself to be novice rider. I'm interested in trying the hard routes, but I'm not very experienced at rock climbing. Not sure if there is a lot of that type of riding out there. Can't wait for thanksgiving!

Sounds good. PM to come

Joe

I'm interested in trying the hard routes, but I'm not very experienced at rock climbing. Not sure if there is a lot of that type of riding out there.

You may want to Google "LAB2V Red Rocks" for video and photos of some of the hard routes.

Riders can always switch between routes and riding groups. Just be sure to tell your riding buddies that you're moving on so they don't waste time searching for you.

I'll likely be doing an "easy easy" ride again this year. Taking the easy ways and only going fast enough to not need a headlight. The more I think about it the more I'm considering the DR200 just for the laughs, but then I would have to drag two bikes out there. :shrug::rider:

Does anyone have any information on the "Adventure Route" for LAB2AV? Have they done and Adventure Route before? I'm planning on going, but will be taking my KTM SA 1290.

There were lots of large adventure bikes last year, and most took the easier routes without much isdue
A few seasoned riders always do the hard way on those big bikes too. Not for me brother!

So I need 1 person to quickly go sign up. Then I can jump in right behind you and get my #87 official
entry sticker. I just know I am going to get busy working on tbe ranch and forget to check until my number has already been purchased.

Still on the fence for joining this year but thought about a new logistics option this morning. Best suited for a plated dirt bike especially a two stroke that you don't want to do any LA area pavement with.

Park your haul rig in Barstow. If you stayed a night at a hotel chances are you could leave your rig there for a couple days. Then easy day ride to the Palmdale start by riding 95%+ dirt. Then after the two day event into LV another easy day ride to Barstow again riding 95%+ dirt. Would be very difficult to ride LA to Palmdale in a single day all dirt and a multi day ride you would be packing more on your bike and person than most would want to. By an easy day ride I am talking seat time not the route. You could make that as interesting/varied as you wanted.

_

Planning on being at Ocotillo a few days before LAB2V. Ride the sand wash. Went to Chapparal years ago. I remember they had a big room with an amazing amount of tires. Worth the trip. Thanks for bringing that up.

Well it looks like it's not going to work out for me after all. I do have a room reserved at the Barstow Ramada with two beds. If anyone is interested I will try to coordinate releasing the room so that another rider can call and reserve it immediately. PM me in the next few days if interested.

Well it looks like it's not going to work out for me after all. I do have a room reserved at the Barstow Ramada with two beds. If anyone is interested I will try to coordinate releasing the room so that another rider can call and reserve it immediately. PM me in the next few days if interested.
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Hooray! We are finally into the count down for this one. Only 6 short weeks from now we will be throwing and stowing our bikes & riding gear in the hauler, and headed west out to the SoCal desert! Can't wait to do this ride again!!! This year we have more Texas riders going too! Well, at least we have more riders in TX this year "saying" they are going. But then we all know how that good old Texas bragg is sometimes...
Better start putting your cold weather riding gear together. Think multiple layers, even with the gloves! Plan to ride in sub freezing temps, snow, rain, and 60 plus degree full desert sunshine. Sort out your storage bags on the bike for all gear, spares, and tools you plan to carry. Don't overlook the need for plenty of water when out in the desert. Any mishap could potentially have you out there on your own for many hours. Carry an inexpensive space blanket some where in your gear! You need to load up said bags, and vigorously test ride with them so you know they can be trusted to remain in place while you ride across endless rough terrain, and 6 straight miles of continuous sand whoops amidst a thundering pack of other riders. You do NOT want to lose all your most precious and needed gear out there in the desert boonies! Add any final touches to your bike now. Then if you are seriously thinking of doing this, you better get out and ride some dirt on your fully loaded for bear bike. Ride for long periods of time. Figure out if you need to reset your sag and fork stiffness to compensate for all the extra weight, and be ready for riding in the inevitable deep sand. Learn your balance on the loaded bike while you also are carrying full hydration in your already over stuffed back pack. Figure out now if you are carrying too much stuff to feasibly ride well. Do these things now, BEFORE you set out on a pair of first light to nearly dark 200 plus mile days of Mojave desert expedition riding. Remember you are riding in SoCal, expect the hard ways to live up to their name. Practice on your rocks and sand riding! Work on your all day in the saddle stamina. Then go practice up more on riding over nice big rocks! See ya there...

Hooray! We are finally into the count down for this one. Only 6 short weeks from now we will be throwing and stowing our bikes & riding gear in the hauler, and headed west out to the SoCal desert! Can't wait to do this ride again!!! This year we have more Texas riders going too! Well, at least we have more riders in TX this year "saying" they are going. But then we all know how that good old Texas bragg is sometimes...
Better start putting your cold weather riding gear together. Think multiple layers, even with the gloves! Plan to ride in sub freezing temps, snow, rain, and 60 plus degree full desert sunshine. Sort out your storage bags on the bike for all gear, spares, and tools you plan to carry. Don't overlook the need for plenty of water when out in the desert. Any mishap could potentially have you out there on your own for many hours. Carry an inexpensive space blanket some where in your gear! You need to load up said bags, and vigorously test ride with them so you know they can be trusted to remain in place while you ride across endless rough terrain, and 6 straight miles of continuous sand whoops amidst a thundering pack of other riders. You do NOT want to lose all your most precious and needed gear out there in the desert boonies! Add any final touches to your bike now. Then if you are seriously thinking of doing this, you better get out and ride some dirt on your fully loaded for bear bike. Ride for long periods of time. Figure out if you need to reset your sag and fork stiffness to compensate for all the extra weight, and be ready for riding in the inevitable deep sand. Learn your balance on the loaded bike while you also are carrying full hydration in your already over stuffed back pack. Figure out now if you are carrying too much stuff to feasibly ride well. Do these things now, BEFORE you set out on a pair of first light to nearly dark 200 plus mile days of Mojave desert expedition riding. Remember you are riding in SoCal, expect the hard ways to live up to their name. Practice on your rocks and sand riding! Work on your all day in the saddle stamina. Then go practice up more on riding over nice big rocks! See ya there...
Dang. 6-weeks sounds a lot closer than saying late November!! You're getting me all excited!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Gang, hate to say this but freaking work just hijacked my time for this ride, so I have to back out. I have hotel rooms booked each night so let me know if anybody wants them before I just let them go.

Arrgggg

Back