• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Barstow to Vegas 2017 Planning Thread

I don't see why not, sent you an email.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Texas Desert Racing Assoc is putting on a race with a moto class. 100mi for $100. Desert style race in Notrees, Tx. 25 mile laps so fuel wont be a problem for even small tanked bikes. I had a blast at Texana and I'm going to this one. Should be good prep for LAB2V unless I break myself...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Texas Desert Racing Assoc is putting on a race with a moto class. 100mi for $100. Desert style race in Notrees, Tx. 25 mile laps so fuel wont be a problem for even small tanked bikes. I had a blast at Texana and I'm going to this one. Should be good prep for LAB2V unless I break myself...

27-28 October. Best place for info is their Facebook page

Paid up and almost all set!! Just few more minors details on the bike. Can’t wait!
Planning to do hard to medium route

I’m signed up for this year, hotels reserved, trip planned for the most part. Anyone know where to get some cool Texas decals for the bike? I seen a handful of people on the signup list from all over Texas. Hope to see some of you guys on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something to show my Texas pride but be cool to have something that looks like it was designed for a bike. I have a CRF450x and wanted to put something on the side panels. I think it was one of the past LAB2V that I seen it and liked it. Couldn’t find anything online. I might ride down to this graphics shop and see what they can do. Just wondering if anyone has seen anything on here.

Something to show my Texas pride but be cool to have something that looks like it was designed for a bike. I have a CRF450x and wanted to put something on the side panels. I think it was one of the past LAB2V that I seen it and liked it. Couldn’t find anything online. I might ride down to this graphics shop and see what they can do. Just wondering if anyone has seen anything on here.

7520d984570764986dadd4a3a0a2ba67.jpg

OK we are finally getting close to go time. Looking forward to seeing lots of you Texas riders there this year. I will try to remember to bring along my TWT banner, and have it out at the sign in parking area behind the shop. So we can all meet up and see who made it. Planning to be at Palmdale cycles sign in before daylight. Hoping to leave out around 1st light. Look for the rest of us Texans if you do make it over there nice & early. Expect the check in line to be stupidly long and slow if you get there after daylight. You will be at the back of the ride from the get go, so if you have any flats or mechanical issues along the way you will likely come in after dark, or have to skip some of the route to make up time. Unless you are a really quick desert rider, a first light departure is advised on both days. Give yourself time to have an incident or two, or stop for a photo here or there, and still finish the whole course. Be sure you have basic cold weather survival gear, water, and lighting on you. Getting picked up at dark by the sag crew is not an exact science, or by any means guaranteed. It is not too dificult to end up behind the last sag riders, and be totally on your own out there on the trail as complete darkness sets in. That desert gets brutal cold overnight! Is anyone stuck without a ride over or bike transport. I usually go over early because I have family there, and like to hit some desert riding area before hand to refresh myself on extreme sand riding. I usually power drive across, and only grab a cat nap or two at rest areas. Don't like to burn multiple days getting there. Will be staying north of San Diego before hand at my sons house.

All good advice.
I am undecided as to marathoning the drive to Vegas or doing dispersed camping north of Flagstaff for a night.

It gets cold quick in the dez, so it behoves you to have a lighter and space blanket at a minimum.

I will be taking two days to ride from LV to Palmdale. I did it in one day last time which is completely doable, but leaves less no time to sight see on the way. Yall are welcome to camp with me on the way from LV to Palmdale. Right now thinking about heading for the mtns around Big Bear, but may go more north from Barstow to stay in the desert and stay lower/warmer.

I cant wait! Going to rig a harness to make my 450x street legal and rewind my stator for more power this and the following weekend.

Last edited:
It gets cold quick in the dez, so it behoves you to have a lighter and space blanket at a minimum.

Great point Matt. I completely spaced on talking about a space blanket & a lighter. Both of these life saving items take up almost zero space in your pack, cost very little, and weigh only a few ounces. They can literally be the difference between succumbing to the cold or not. Be sure these items are with you. 2 years ago we stayed with a downed rider who had snapped his leg in a remote part of the course. It took the sag crew in Jeeps many hours to reach us. All the while the injured rider was laying immobilized on the cool desert floor. By the time we saw the sag crew arrive, the sun was just starting to set, and frigid coldness was rapidly returning. Had we not been able to keep a space blanket around the injured rider all afternoon, he might well have had some further issues. At the very least he certainly would have been cold and in a lot more discomfort. Be sure you carry these survival essentials! If you dont need it, someone else may.

Great point Matt. I completely spaced on talking about a space blanket & a lighter. Both of these life saving items take up almost zero space in your pack, cost very little, and weigh only a few ounces. They can literally be the difference between succumbing to the cold or not. Be sure these items are with you. 2 years ago we stayed with a downed rider who had snapped his leg in a remote part of the course. It took the sag crew in Jeeps many hours to reach us. All the while the injured rider was laying immobilized on the cool desert floor. By the time we saw the sag crew arrive, the sun was just starting to set, and frigid coldness was rapidly returning. Had we not been able to keep a space blanket around the injured rider all afternoon, he might well have had some further issues. At the very least he certainly would have been cold and in a lot more discomfort. Be sure you carry these survival essentials! If you dont need it, someone else may.
I also carry a tourniquet, combat gauze (never use clotting powder!) and a pressure bandage and a couple pairs of gloves. Outside of hospital, there is little you can do beyond stopping bleeding.

A CAT and the rest will fit in a pocket or on the handle bars. I find the volume and cost well worth it.

In case you're not following LAB2LV's facebook page, you may want to look at their video on the Hard Route Option. Maybe it's tounge-in-cheek. Then again...

Gonna miss you guys this year. Although I'm not sure why since you're all faster than me and finish a couple of hours before I do. :rofl:

Have a good ride and be safe.

Meriden

In case you're not following LAB2LV's facebook page, you may want to look at their video on the Hard Route Option. Maybe it's tounge-in-cheek. Then again...

Gonna miss you guys this year. Although I'm not sure why since you're all faster than me and finish a couple of hours before I do. :rofl:

Have a good ride and be safe.

Meriden
Seeing as that's Jarvis, I HOPE its in jest. (Unless Jarvis is there in which case it would be AWESOME)

Well this sucks. I woke up on Wednesday with a little stomach pains. As the day progressed it got worse. Finally went to the ER and they told me I had appendicitis and would have to have my appendix removed the next morning by surgery. I asked the doc at the ER if I would be good for the ride and he said yeah, you should be back on your feet in no time. No the same story I got from the OR doc. Needless to say, I wont be participating this year sadly. I dont ride much anymore, but been getting my bike ready all year by doing little upgrades here and there. I was already registered and had hotels lines up and the whole trip planned. Hopefully I can get a refund on registration or get a rain check for next year. You guys that are going have fun, hopefully I can make it the following year.
e6777fb33e741aed0d0ab6c0b1a88f8a.jpg

Last edited:
That is a tough break. Identical situation happened to wildernessrider back in 2013. Had an emergency appendectomy almost same November date as you too. He was still able to ride and did. I would trust his doctor and your ER doctor and do it. Also your OR doctor loses credibility with that attrocious spelling, embarassing. Lol

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Thats a bummer man. Do what it take to get well. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Last edited:
For who ever is still going can we get a "Here" and how to recognize you?

I'll be on a 2007 CRF450X (TX plate) with a black and red helmet and a orange Leatt jersey.

I'm leaving Sunday camping that night.
Staying at the orleans Monday night.
Two nights of rough sleeping in the woods then a motel6 in Palmdale on Thanksgiving.

Two nights of rough sleeping in the woods then a motel6 in Palmdale on Thanksgiving.

Where you planning to bivouac on Tues and Wed? I'll be out riding and scouting the mountains in Angeles and San Bernadino National Forests those days, maybe we'll bump into each other.

Where you planning to bivouac on Tues and Wed? I'll be out riding and scouting the mountains in Angeles and San Bernadino National Forests those days, maybe we'll bump into each other.

I've scouted with Sat-view on Google Maps and found what look like good spots.

Tuesday:
https://goo.gl/maps/BX9iQHXjX5A2

Wed:
https://goo.gl/maps/NbhwqMHhZGv

I'm VERY open for suggestions.

Stealth/dispersed camping is a lot of fun. I'm just taking a pad, sleeping bag and a pair of mylar bivies. The weather should be really nice and if it isnt I'll get a motel.

For who ever is still going can we get a "Here" and how to recognize you?

I'll be on a 2007 CRF450X (TX plate) with a black and red helmet and a orange Leatt jersey.

Here! I'll be on a KTM 500. I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn in Palmdale. Steven(2wheelsdown) and I are planning on riding El Mirage Dry Lake Off-Highway Recreation Area on Thanksgiving. Get an OHV sticker and join us.

Oh, I am starting out on an old rear tire so I am going to order one from Chaparral Motorsports and pick it up Tuesday evening. That's my only real destination until Thursday in Palmdale.

Oh, I am starting out on an old rear tire so I am going to order one from Chaparral Motorsports and pick it up Tuesday evening. That's my only real destination until Thursday in Palmdale.

Well, now I am getting a damper cartridge for my fork at Chaparral... glad I found it now, rather than later.

And so it begins... I am pulling out of a Gas Station at an undisclosed area of Austin, Texas and am now enroute to LAB2V 2017!!!

Back