• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions

LDB

Reaction score
First Name
Leo
I'm sure some of these will sound dumb to some people but this may be my first scooter rodeo so I want to learn as much ahead of time as possible. These all are directed toward the Honda Silverwing.

When the engine is running is the SW in gear at all times?

Is there any way to select a "neutral"? I presume not or there'd be no need for the sidestand cutoff.

Is it possible to lock the brakes like a parking brake?

When the engine is off is the SW in gear like a regular motorcycle that's off and in 1st (or whichever) gear?

Is the storage area big enough for a ff helmet?

For someone who's hero was the tortoise not the hare, who sticks to the speed limit and gets passed by some of the cars from stoplights is 50mpg realistic?

I'm sure some of these will sound dumb to some people but this may be my first scooter rodeo so I want to learn as much ahead of time as possible. These all are directed toward the Honda Silverwing.

When the engine is running is the SW in gear at all times?

Is there any way to select a "neutral"? I presume not or there'd be no need for the sidestand cutoff.

Is it possible to lock the brakes like a parking brake?

When the engine is off is the SW in gear like a regular motorcycle that's off and in 1st (or whichever) gear?

Is the storage area big enough for a ff helmet?

For someone who's hero was the tortoise not the hare, who sticks to the speed limit and gets passed by some of the cars from stoplights is 50mpg realistic?

I have a Suzuki Burgman but they are basically the same scoot; my comments are as follows:

Yes, the bike is in gear at all times, but the centrifugal clutch does not engage. When the engine is idle and the bike's road speed drops below 7-10mph, the clutch disengages. This can be felt on a downgrade- the bike will lurch forward as the clutch releases and the engine load is removed.

There is no neutral; when the centrifugal clutch is disengaged it is in 'neutral.'

Yes, there is a parking brake that triggers the rear brake.

When the engine is off it is in 'neutral' (it actually has the clutch disengaged.)

The storage area is huge and can fit an XL FF helmet or two 3/4 helmets.

I ride like a bat out of Hades and my average MPG on Ingrid is 60-62+.

Yes, there is a parking brake that triggers the rear brake.

Just wondering, does the Burg rest on the rear tire when on the centerstand?
I've worked on a friend's Vino and I think it doesn't, but of course a parking brake like that would be fully functional when resting on the sidestand.

Just wondering, does the Burg rest on the rear tire when on the centerstand?
I've worked on a friend's Vino and I think it doesn't, but of course a parking brake like that would be fully functional when resting on the sidestand.

No, if you centerstand it the rear wheel does not touch the ground, but you've effectively immobilized the bike with the centerstand. I'd just not suggest doing it with the bike pointed down a steep hill. ;)

Back