• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bastrop Trails Regular Saturday Ride

RollingJ

Forum Supporter
Bastrop Trails Random and Irregular Ride

It's time to make it official. If I can't make it someone else will.

Bastrop Trails Random and Irregular Ride
Some random day unless otherwise noted.
Meet at the Sac-n-Pac at the corner of 21/95 in Bastrop, Texas. [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=901+Texas+95,+Bastrop,+TX&aq=&sll=30.116325,-97.338009&sspn=0.082114,0.169086&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=901+Texas+95,+Bastrop,+Texas+78602&z=16"]Map[/ame]
We roll out at 9am, I stop before 12. Feel free to plan longer rides from there.
PM me for maps, directions, and rules.
DO NOT POST DIRECTIONS ON THE OPEN INTERNET! PMS OR WORD OF MOUTH ONLY!

It will be rare that no one shows, but it is a good idea to post your intentions here to make sure.
From now on, the Slippery Hill will not be the first thing we hit!
If you need to trailer, you can park on the trailhead or at the soccer fields. Again PM me.

Last edited:
Would like to make this someday on our KLRs. Sounds like some parts may be difficult on that big of a bike. Are there easier routes around some of the tougher spots?

Todd

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Waugh
Would like to make this someday on our KLRs. Sounds like some parts may be difficult on that big of a bike. Are there easier routes around some of the tougher spots?

Todd
It's a whole load of tracks, you can easily bypass any section that is too difficult.. I personally reach my limit after about an hour, I like to go and visit places, but these trails are great fun for an hour or maybe two!! I would think that riding them every weekend would soon become boring, but that's just me.. I definitely want to do another Rman ride, that was just brilliant!!

Gary

Last edited:

RollingJ

Forum Supporter
I ride out there most Saturdays, so I figured I should just post a standard meet spot and time. I also know there will be weekends I can't make it others can. I don't like to ride dirt by myself, at least not too aggressively, and I don't have the chance to travel very often....

... so there you go.

Riding the same lines does get a little old, but by reversing direction and forcing different lines, it's not too bad. The powerline trail has multiple options on every hill. I must admit, I do enjoy it a lot more when I can follow someone who doesn't know where they are going.

You can add two more for this Saturday (6/4). My buddy will bring his KLR and I will bring either my DR250 or street legal CRF450X.

Is this ride too much for the KLR?

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Waugh
Another street legal CRF450X!! I'm not unique :eek2:

The KLR would be fine, they are sand trails with lots of loose gravel..

Gary

At the back of the pack and out of the dust
As for difficulty, I've seen guys riding these trails on everything from a 250s to an 800. There are technical sections where experienced riders will be challenged and sections where novice riders can play for a few hours pretty much risk free.

RollingJ

Forum Supporter
As for difficulty, I've seen guys riding these trails on everything from a 250s to an 800. There are technical sections where experienced riders will be challenged and sections where novice riders can play for a few hours pretty much risk free.
A few years ago I took my S-10 down one of them while following my gps...

So where do we meet up?
I'm riding a street legal KTM XCRW but would need to know where the trail head is to figure out where to unload the bike from my truck.

RollingJ

Forum Supporter
It had to happen. I post up a re-occurring event and my office sends me out of town.

I will be out on the trails this weekend, June 4, but will be out of town for the next two Saturdays, June 11 and 18.

It's not like I own the place, so please ride without me, but dang.

Apparently there are TV emergencies up in Dallas my services are required to handle. I'm hoping my office will let me stuff the bike in the van so I can ride a little while I'm up there, but it is doubtful.

JT

Forum Supporter
I'll be there tomorrow morning, I hope to see some others. :mrgreen:

First Name
Tad
Last Name
Eubank
Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I'll be there but I'm not sure just how much off-roading I'll be doing. My armored road jacket and armored over-pants don't flow a heckuva lotta air. But I'll be happy to putter around and see how dirty I can get without breaking something or dehydrating. :eek2:

And yes, I'll be armed with a hydration pack. :thumb:

Add two more to the list. We are leaning to the dual sport side (DR and KLR).

See y'all in the morning.:rider:

First Name
Tad
Last Name
Eubank
Whooo hooo! I'm the first one back. :clap:

Normally, being first is a good thing but being the first to bail on the ride isn't.

Let's just say this was an eye-opening experience that highlighted both strengths and weaknesses of both rider and ride.

But it was 100% a blast (minus the little get-off that I'm sure Joel will share a little later).

Thanks, Joel. I will be back. :thumb: :rider:

RollingJ

Forum Supporter
Jthompson finishing the Slippery Hill with style. Even though he smelled like rat snake excrement.

BexarWolf giving it a go. Don't sweat it man. I'm glad you came out. This is why I'm not doing this hill first anymore.

A bad video of Knobbly finding a new line. For the record, he rode back down and ripped it right back up.

Besides myself and the above, we also had in attendance Webnel, Dedsmurf, and one more who I didn't catch the handle of. Seven riders was a good number to keep up with.

Beside the heat, if was a lot of fun, no one got hurt, and no mechanical trouble befell us. Score!

I would have had more video, but it seems I turned on my camera as I put it in my bag. I have 1 1/2 hours of the inside of by bag, just in case it's stolen.

Have fun the next few weeks. I'll be busting my tail up in Dallas.

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
That trail system was a little more fun than I expected and a great place for dual sports. It was good to see John again and meet some new folks. Minus the heat today it was all good. I’d like to add-on some of the gravel roads in the area next time. However, next time might be after the heat wave for me, though. After a re-fill of ice and poweraid in the camelbak I took the roads less traveled back to New Braunfels. Thanks for posting up the ride Joel.

First Name
Tad
Last Name
Eubank
I want to thank dedsmurf and the other unidentified rider (I was brain-dead at the moment) for righting my napping bike and getting it back down the hill. My legs were like noodles and I had a hard enough time just walking back down. I took my sit-of-shame while the others went off and I tried to gather my faculties.

It was an awesome morning full of education for me. I felt more comfortable out there than I expected but didn't last as long as I wanted. I obviously need to re-think my off-road wardrobe for sure. Street jacket/pants and helmet are not conducive to enduring those trails. :doh:

Great day on Saturday. Thanks to all for finding this little gem and leading the way. The trip to the river should not be missed. Nothing like 6 guys popping out of the woods next to a golf course and having folks wave at you!

My buddy on the KLR is a new rider. He can't wait to head to places like Big Bend and Junction now that he has tackled real trails.

Thanks again all.:rider:

RollingJ

Forum Supporter
I'll be back for this weeks Bastrop ride. I think I will ride the Park Road and the dirt roads around Smithville and Paige before hitting the Trails.

Let me know if there is interest.

First Name
Michael
Love the video's. Makes me feel a little better about myself. I'll get back out there in about 6-8 weeks after my leg heals. Broke it on the James River Route last weekend. No worries tho, the Bike is fine...

First Name
Michael
KLR sorry to hear about the leg. Where did you go down? Last time I was out that way I managed the road and river crossing only to crash at another low water crossing.
That's exactly what happened to me! Made it across the james and ate it on a deceptively innocent looking crossing. But the bike is ok so all is well...

jqueen

Forum Supporter
First Name
Justin
Looks like I'll be coming out as well - it'll be the first time I went off-road with other people in a long long time, looking forward to it.

I'll be back for this weeks Bastrop ride. I think I will ride the Park Road and the dirt roads around Smithville and Paige before hitting the Trails.

Let me know if there is interest.
Are you thinking about changing it up a bit? I am considering riding up from Houston and making an adventure out of it. What are you thinking?

First Name
Greg
Last Name
Needham
I'm planning on riding the trails early Sunday if anyone wants to meet me. Hoping to hit the trail head around 8 or 9am.

I would like to ride around the main area, then head down the tracks and up to the sand area and tackle some of the trails. I was there solo last weekend and didn't attempt much because I was alone. If I have someone riding with me, I might take a shot at some of the more challenging routes.

Some photos here.

I met jthompson as I was leaving. Couldn't ride with him as I had to hit the road, but it was nice chatting with him. And thanks to bastropjoel for the info and great riding area.

RollingJ

Forum Supporter
Here's my take on tomorrow. I am open to suggestions, as long as you agree with me.

At 9 I want to ride the park road to Smithville, twisty pavement at about 35-45mph and enjoy the ride. Turn around at Smithville and head back the park road for a mile or so and the do the dirt roads. Take Old Antioch to Gotier Trace, turn Right, Left on Saint Delights, L on Antioch, and follow it back to Gotier Trace and end up back at the Bastrop side of the park. This is a 40 or so mile loop 50/50 nice pavement and nice dirt/gravel. It takes about an hour.

Quench Thirst.

Then ride the trails for a couple hours.

How does that sound?

I really want to ride tomorrow, but I don't think the DR250 (or my butt) can handle 300 round-trip miles of slab. I really need a truck....

Have a great time tomorrow and I will see you again soon.:rider:

In the original Jaws, one of the best lines is, "We're gonna need a bigger boat." Well, I am gonna need a bigger bike. A KLR 650 of KTM 690 seems to be calling my name.

I am going to work on my back-road route to Surf Side and Galveston from Houston. Maybe I will work in some dirt....

jqueen

Forum Supporter
First Name
Justin
Knobbly - I'm pretty sure I'm hauling my DR650 up there from Sugar Land tomorrow - late notice, but if you wanted to meet up, we could probably figure it out.

I can definitely make it out to Sugarland. If this works for you, just give me an address and a time. Much appreciated.:-P

At the back of the pack and out of the dust
Here's my take on tomorrow. I am open to suggestions, as long as you agree with me.

At 9 I want to ride the park road to Smithville, twisty pavement at about 35-45mph and enjoy the ride. Turn around at Smithville and head back the park road for a mile or so and the do the dirt roads. Take Old Antioch to Gotier Trace, turn Right, Left on Saint Delights, L on Antioch, and follow it back to Gotier Trace and end up back at the Bastrop side of the park. This is a 40 or so mile loop 50/50 nice pavement and nice dirt/gravel. It takes about an hour.

Quench Thirst.

Then ride the trails for a couple hours.

How does that sound?

I have not been on St Delights since the last time we rode it. That is a nice stretch. BTW I'm finding some good stuff to the south near Gonzales. I'll catch y'all next weekend. I'm off to Oscar tomorrow.

JMZ

First Name
John M.
Last Name
Zavadil
BTW I'm finding some good stuff to the south near Gonzales.

Hopefully I will be legal by next weekend :yawn: Stop by when you come this way . That goes for all of yall. Call if you need help if something happens around here. My dads a tv repairman , hes got an awesome set of tools.:rofl::rofl::rofl: