• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bastrop Trails Regular Saturday Ride

You nailed it. A proficient rider on a GS may be just fine, however, this was my first time truly "off road" on mine. It was hot, I was ill-dressed and ill-prepared for the ride. Maybe if I'd been wearing proper off-road gear I would have fared better but I was wearing street over-pants, street jacket, street boots and street helmet. The only thing off-road with me and the bike were the Shinko knobbie tires. :doh:

Thus, the search was on and then I found my '96 XR400. Now I just gotta get it street-legal so I can join the fun. :clap: :thumb:

I don't know about your title situation but I just plated my fourth XR. All I ever do is add a brake light. Switch from Rocky Mtn(Tusk), one xtra wire and a friendly inspector type guy. I do add one foldable rview mirror for looks. You will need liab ins for the insp guy. You know, the friendly one you already have a relationship with. ;-)

Here's a tire offer for the Bastrop gang, if no one wants one, I'll move it into the Sale area:

I bought 4 120 rear tires (all DOT) with a 5% coupon, hoping they'd send me a 10% or better coupon with the large order. I only really wanted to test a 120 width on my 450, to see if it would quicken my turning in the single track. So....if anyone wants a 120 tire, here's the 4. The Michelin's the cheapest, it appears to be the shortest, and the widest, looks almost like a 130 or 140 tire. I've used the Pirelli XCMH in the 140 size and it's a great tire, wears kinda fast tho. I've used the D606 in the 130 size before and it really is the king of dual sport knobbies, for me at least. I'd really like to give the Metzler Unicross a go, it's a really good-looking tire, but if someone wants it, I need to get my wife off my back more than I need a tire, I'll just use whatever tire is left over for my experiment, which was my intent. I can bring a tire or 2 to Bastrop, whenever we have a ride, just not next weekend.

Send me a PM or post up if you want one. Prices are what I paid and firm, if no ones wants one, I'll use them all eventually.

DOTtires4.jpg

Any of these still available? Then I'll check and see if they fit my scooter!

I will be riding the very muddy Bastrop trails this Saturday if anyone want to join me.

Gonna be wet!! :eek: A couple of us are going out to DVMX to get some air time. Hopefully it won't be too wet, but post up pictures anyway! :photo: sam

Most of the trails drain really quickly and the traction is superb.

However, some the mud holes are legendary.

Very pretty! I'm sort of partial to the Texas flag, though.

Here's the trick to not staying too dirty.

Ride through lots of water.

Me too, I went overkill there I think.

Agreed looks very nice, almost too nice for a DS.
It's only overkill if it keeps you from riding it when and where you want to. If even a small grain of truth to your statement below then maybe you did go too far.

Maybe. Don't want her all dirty with a new face lift.

I suggest you add some scratches and dirt immediately. After the first time just hose off the bike and no polishing and waxing allowed. Then you'll have a daily rider you can put to any use.

_

I'm meeting Jake at the trailhead at 9am.

Post up if you are joining us. If you don't know where it is, pm me.

I finally got the Berg running right but I have to got to Skull Creek for a clean up day tomorrow so maybe next week. :rider:

I was going to head over to SHNF, but with the recent rains, its a loooong drive to get wet and muddy... If work is slow tonight I am going to head over in the morning! :)

Hope to see you, Jeff. I'll hope for a slow night for you.

To say that I was amped up today would be a little bit of an understatement.

I had slapped on a old set of new MX tires. The front still had every nipple. I had made some serious clicker adjustments that needed to be tested, and the traction was killer.

I did a fast lap before we met up. Feeling it for sure. It was just Jake and I, and we commenced to boogieing...

We did about 25 trail miles in about 2 hours. We rode trails backwards and forward. I tied together some crazy random route that kept us moving and we got a taste of just about everything out there.

Today, I was just plain throwing the bike at the biggest and baddest ruts and bumps, with the right wrist twisted. The washouts at 2:14 in the vid below, right after I make the pass, got my heart going to say the least! Sorry if I cut you off, Jake.

I love riding with Jake. We ride at a similar pace. You blast a nice fast section, turn around, and there he is. If he is leading, he sets a quick pace that keeps the heart rate up.

Here's today's little vid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9xisYxcVNM"]The Jake and Joel Show - YouTube[/ame]

Lynne and I stopped by about 8:45 this am in a cage, had business in Austin. Sorry we missed y'all, a little early I guess. I did show her the trail head and she promises to return with me and the bikes. Later...

great vid. wish i would have been here. just got back into town after being gone since june 27th (no riding since). me .... needum .... to .... ride.....

Come ride Saturday, Paul.

I will be blasting around the trails again this Saturday, but you can try to keep up...

9am at the Trailhead. I should be good and warmed up by them.

Anybody's welcome, but this one isn't a beginner ride. I plan on keeping moving.

MotoTex and JT joined me today. We rode about 2 hours and I tried to keep us moving. It's always a pleasure riding with these guys.

I tipped over once on a tricky log crossing, but I didn't stall it!

Since I was leading I didn't get much on video.

MotoTex thought I was trying to pass him so he threw some sand in my face. I was just trying to make good video.

R-man knows this spot.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vVxo-jvVYM"]Sandblasted - YouTube[/ame]

Back