• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bastrop Trails Regular Saturday Ride

I'm riding Bastrop Saturday Sept 14. I'm going to park at the trailhead, but I'll be happy to roll over to Bucee's to meet up. I'll want to start riding by 9am, be done by 1pm and start the journey home.

I'm picking up a bike in Austin Friday afternoon, so I figured I'd bring the KTM along and get in a good ride at my old stomping grounds the next morning.

I hope to see a few old timers and maybe make a few new friends.

Cool. Where is the "trailhead" vs where we use to meet (soccer fields) ??

Cool. Where is the "trailhead" vs where we use to meet (soccer fields) ??
I've always called the big open area at the north edge of the gas line road the trailhead. You used to be able to pull back there on a gravel road directly off of 71. I have not been since all the construction, but I'll figure it out.

I would park at the soccer fields but they start the fall game schedule on Sept 7.

I'm riding Bastrop Saturday Sept 14. I'm going to park at the trailhead, but I'll be happy to roll over to Bucee's to meet up. I'll want to start riding by 9am, be done by 1pm and start the journey home.

I'm picking up a bike in Austin Friday afternoon, so I figured I'd bring the KTM along and get in a good ride at my old stomping grounds the next morning.

I hope to see a few old timers and maybe make a few new friends.
Dangit, I'll be in Mena at the RMR. Maybe next time...

:miffed:I'm not going to make this either! I hope you enjoy your visit to the old stomping grounds.

I made my last trip out there Saturday before I make my great migration north next week. Enjoy is while you can, there are rumors flying that the area is finally going to be developed. And yes, you can still pull off of 71 on Winding Pines.

Yall think an f650 be able to negotiate this route without being a sandbag to everyone else?

I made my last trip out there Saturday before I make my great migration north next week. Enjoy is while you can, there are rumors flying that the area is finally going to be developed. And yes, you can still pull off of 71 on Winding Pines.
Same rumor for over a decade now... When you see new signs and fences, then we'll know.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On the f650, most of the road sections can be done, depending on skill. There is a high likelihood of dropping the bike, even on some of the roads. As far as slowing us down, probably but that's not the end of the world. I'm guessing as the ride gets rougher you might end up peeling off. No shame in that.

It will be developed someday, and I will be sad. I rode here just about every weekend for a few years. I learned a lot.

If you are going to make this ride, please post again below so I know who to expect!

See you Saturday!

I cant see why I wouldn't be there . It'll be good to ride with you again.

Edit

I'm still in for tomorrow, family drama averted.

Last edited:
It's been a year since I've been out there and last time I put a hole in the radiator of my KLR. I'm not experienced at off road riding and am not fast on unpaved roads but I want to learn. I'll most likely head out that way in the morning and will keep my eyes peeled for others. I'll be at the Buc-ees around 8:00 am. At least my KLR has crash bars this time...... If anyone has the patience to teach an off road noob, I'll take any advice. I probably won't be out there for long as I'm out of shape and coming off injury and illness.

I'll be at Bucees at 8 as well.

Kilroy/jwaller... I havent done any significant off roading in 3 years, so I probably won't be able to keep up with Joel. Vinny and probably most of the others joining in, so I don;t mind riding with you guys if you join...

Anxiety over work contract issues has kept me up. I think I am finally exhausted enough to get to sleep...

I'm going to have a hard time getting up for this.. If its not too late at least I'll hop on the vstrom and go for a ride and say Hi! :)

Last edited:
You guys have a good ride...I'm currently out of town, or else I'd join in on the fun

Good news! I found the source of that hissing sound down by the cemetery
04b44cb469307893aaed473f5ab7902b.jpg
5b1e49cb3f25c653fa3d5353a36a09aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today kicked my butt. I can't wait to do it again. Thanks for showing me some of the routes "off the menu."

Well, that shop got me back on the road but it cost me more than I’d have liked. Think I’ll invest in either a center stand or some sort of other way to elevate the bike. That and maybe a Baja No Pinch tool for roadside repairs. And I guess I need to always keep spare tubes handy.

Well, that shop got me back on the road but it cost me more than I’d have liked. Think I’ll invest in either a center stand or some sort of other way to elevate the bike. That and maybe a Baja No Pinch tool for roadside repairs. And I guess I need to always keep spare tubes handy.

And flats just suck.

I'm going out to Bastrop tomorrow for my first ride out there. A few questions if ya'll have time:
1. How is parking at the park? Do I need to park somewhere else and ride in?
2. Cost to ride? How to pay?
3. I haven't googled the park. Plan to do that next. But is there any certain trails that are closed or I should for sure ride?

I plan to get there around 8-ish and ride to about 11. Have a burger in Bastrop and then ride around until 2pm.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Park across the street at Buc-Ees. It’s not a park but public land. No fees or anything like that. Apparently some rednecks like to go back there and dump their trash so be careful. Picked up a nail yesterday. Once you go under the highway and get across 71 from Buc-ees you’ll be in an industrial park. Drive into the industrial park. Look for the road with a cemetery to the left. Turn down that road. Pass the cemetery and you climb up a rock road into the heart of the trails.

Have fun

Back