• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bastrop Trails Regular Saturday Ride

Re: Bastrop Trails Random and Irregular Ride

Good synopsis.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424027587.720327.jpg

As with any accident I usually ask for permission before posting. With Respect CJs permission here are some pix and a quick video of both Ryan's and Ricks's get offs. I got a hold of Rick and his Wife Kathy through Jeff's help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 205
In about 8 minutes our day unfortunately went bad quickly. Fortunately all will be well I'm time. Rick and his Wife Kathy thank all of you for taking such great care of Rick and for getting him to safety.

Here's a quick vid of the start of the ride up to the get off.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RpUO14ui3jU#"]KLR 650 Bastrop rider down - YouTube[/ame]

Wow two simultaneous crashes. I was fixated on the first crash with injury and almost missed the second one at base of Slippery Hill. Was that 4jranch?

_

What, No respect?:eek2:

No not this time..:rider:
Looked like a blue bike and you have been seen in hi vis jacket before.

Keep them feet up on the pegs guys much safer there and they don't work too good on stopping the bike anyways.

_

Looked like a blue bike and you have been seen in hi vis jacket before.

Keep them feet up on the pegs guys much safer there and they don't work too good on stopping the bike anyways.

_

Absolutely.. Also when you are on your way to meet the dirt, depending on the circumstances of the fall of course, keep your hands on the grips and let those expensive bars and barkbusters work for you..

Bummer guys, heal up fast Rick.

Bastrop claims another. :giveup: My buddy busted his elbow this time last year in there. I haven't been nearly as many times as some of y'all but I can for sure say that the landscape in there keeps changing and new ruts pop up and disappear all over.

Stay safe.

Hi guys,

I'm doing okay – seeing the orthopedic doctor tomorrow. I'll be surprised if I don't need surgery.

Every time I think about Saturday the first thing that comes to mind is how coolheaded, skillful, and careful or you guys were who got me out of there. I keep telling friends about a group of people who I had never met treating me like family.

Attachments

• image-2221036686.jpg
    image-2221036686.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 161
PS I've been trying to give up on that "stick your leg out to get stability" thing. This'll teach me a lesson!!

PS I've been trying to give up on that "stick your leg out to get stability" thing. This'll teach me a lesson!!

It can be a hard lesson to learn (as if you didn't already know that!). I consider myself fairly skilled off road, and occasionally I still have to remind myself not to do it.

One thing I was told when I was younger - if you feel like putting your foot down for stability, stand on the pegs and go a little faster. It may be terrible advice, but I believe it worked OK for me.

It can be a hard lesson to learn (as if you didn't already know that!). I consider myself fairly skilled off road, and occasionally I still have to remind myself not to do it. One thing I was told when I was younger - if you feel like putting your foot down for stability, stand on the pegs and go a little faster. It may be terrible advice, but I believe it worked OK for me.

Yep. Stay on the pegs and add momentum and gyro effect of wheels. Crash & Burn...Live & Learn

About 5 years ago I was hauling around Bastrop on my NX250, my 'back to riding after raising kids' bike, so I was apt to make a rookie mistake or two.

I was riding by myself and took a fall on the gas line trail. I touched the front brake leaned over at about 20mph. I high-sided and we took a good tumble. I laid there for a bit before I got up. I had broken my thumb, separated my shoulder, and had knocked the wind clean out of me. I don't know if I lost consciousness or not, but I do know that it was quite a while before I even looked at the bike.

The bars of the bike were tweaked and the brake levers twisted. The left peg was gone. The headlight and cowl were trash and the brake light was busted. The forks were twisted. Of course the ignition was on so the battery was drained.

You are never really very far from help out there, but you feel awfully alone at a time like that.

I was able to twist the fork back into shape, put most of the broken parts in my tailbag (which I had found thrown into the woods) and push start the bike. It took four or five agonizing tries, but I was able to get her started and ride her home.

Rick, you had the wonderful fortune to break yourself off in some excellent company, some guys I would ride anywhere with.

I'm sorry it went down that way, but you appear to have handled the injury very well, and at least it wasn't the knee.

Welcome to the family!

Yep. Stay on the pegs and add momentum and gyro effect of wheels. Crash & Burn...Live & Learn
"gyro effect"?
The guy wasn't going 5mph! You new guys with big bikes, Bastrop is the wrong environment to learn how to ride on dirt, period! I'm sorry for the guy's get off and subsequent injury but after watching the vid, that situation was completely avoidable. At that speed, an experienced 'dirt' rider would've been on his feet before the bike ever hit the ground!
Look, I'm not trying to be Mr Know It All here but trust me, learn to ride dirt on a small 'dirt' bike! You'll learn to negotiate ruts, stumps, water, gravel..etc. with relative ease. Give yourself a fighting chance before you attempt it on a 500lb+ bike.

Back