• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bastrop Trails Regular Saturday Ride

That trail system was a little more fun than I expected and a great place for dual sports. It was good to see John again and meet some new folks. Minus the heat today it was all good. I’d like to add-on some of the gravel roads in the area next time. However, next time might be after the heat wave for me, though. After a re-fill of ice and poweraid in the camelbak I took the roads less traveled back to New Braunfels. Thanks for posting up the ride Joel.

I want to thank dedsmurf and the other unidentified rider (I was brain-dead at the moment) for righting my napping bike and getting it back down the hill. My legs were like noodles and I had a hard enough time just walking back down. I took my sit-of-shame while the others went off and I tried to gather my faculties.

It was an awesome morning full of education for me. I felt more comfortable out there than I expected but didn't last as long as I wanted. I obviously need to re-think my off-road wardrobe for sure. Street jacket/pants and helmet are not conducive to enduring those trails. :doh:

Great day on Saturday. Thanks to all for finding this little gem and leading the way. The trip to the river should not be missed. Nothing like 6 guys popping out of the woods next to a golf course and having folks wave at you!

My buddy on the KLR is a new rider. He can't wait to head to places like Big Bend and Junction now that he has tackled real trails.

Thanks again all.:rider:

If you find a pair of camo sunglasses at the trailhead...........eh, keep 'em. I already replaced them. :thumb: :cool2:

I'll be back for this weeks Bastrop ride. I think I will ride the Park Road and the dirt roads around Smithville and Paige before hitting the Trails.

Let me know if there is interest.

Love the video's. Makes me feel a little better about myself. I'll get back out there in about 6-8 weeks after my leg heals. Broke it on the James River Route last weekend. No worries tho, the Bike is fine...

KLR sorry to hear about the leg. Where did you go down? Last time I was out that way I managed the road and river crossing only to crash at another low water crossing.

That's exactly what happened to me! Made it across the james and ate it on a deceptively innocent looking crossing. But the bike is ok so all is well...

Looks like I'll be coming out as well - it'll be the first time I went off-road with other people in a long long time, looking forward to it.

I'll be back for this weeks Bastrop ride. I think I will ride the Park Road and the dirt roads around Smithville and Paige before hitting the Trails.

Let me know if there is interest.

Are you thinking about changing it up a bit? I am considering riding up from Houston and making an adventure out of it. What are you thinking?

I'm planning on riding the trails early Sunday if anyone wants to meet me. Hoping to hit the trail head around 8 or 9am.

I would like to ride around the main area, then head down the tracks and up to the sand area and tackle some of the trails. I was there solo last weekend and didn't attempt much because I was alone. If I have someone riding with me, I might take a shot at some of the more challenging routes.

Some photos here.

I met jthompson as I was leaving. Couldn't ride with him as I had to hit the road, but it was nice chatting with him. And thanks to bastropjoel for the info and great riding area.

Here's my take on tomorrow. I am open to suggestions, as long as you agree with me.

At 9 I want to ride the park road to Smithville, twisty pavement at about 35-45mph and enjoy the ride. Turn around at Smithville and head back the park road for a mile or so and the do the dirt roads. Take Old Antioch to Gotier Trace, turn Right, Left on Saint Delights, L on Antioch, and follow it back to Gotier Trace and end up back at the Bastrop side of the park. This is a 40 or so mile loop 50/50 nice pavement and nice dirt/gravel. It takes about an hour.

Quench Thirst.

Then ride the trails for a couple hours.

How does that sound?

I really want to ride tomorrow, but I don't think the DR250 (or my butt) can handle 300 round-trip miles of slab. I really need a truck....

Have a great time tomorrow and I will see you again soon.:rider:

In the original Jaws, one of the best lines is, "We're gonna need a bigger boat." Well, I am gonna need a bigger bike. A KLR 650 of KTM 690 seems to be calling my name.

I am going to work on my back-road route to Surf Side and Galveston from Houston. Maybe I will work in some dirt....

Knobbly - I'm pretty sure I'm hauling my DR650 up there from Sugar Land tomorrow - late notice, but if you wanted to meet up, we could probably figure it out.

I can definitely make it out to Sugarland. If this works for you, just give me an address and a time. Much appreciated.:-P

Here's my take on tomorrow. I am open to suggestions, as long as you agree with me.

At 9 I want to ride the park road to Smithville, twisty pavement at about 35-45mph and enjoy the ride. Turn around at Smithville and head back the park road for a mile or so and the do the dirt roads. Take Old Antioch to Gotier Trace, turn Right, Left on Saint Delights, L on Antioch, and follow it back to Gotier Trace and end up back at the Bastrop side of the park. This is a 40 or so mile loop 50/50 nice pavement and nice dirt/gravel. It takes about an hour.

Quench Thirst.

Then ride the trails for a couple hours.

How does that sound?

I have not been on St Delights since the last time we rode it. That is a nice stretch. BTW I'm finding some good stuff to the south near Gonzales. I'll catch y'all next weekend. I'm off to Oscar tomorrow.

BTW I'm finding some good stuff to the south near Gonzales.

Hopefully I will be legal by next weekend :yawn: Stop by when you come this way . That goes for all of yall. Call if you need help if something happens around here. My dads a tv repairman , hes got an awesome set of tools.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back