• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bastrop trails

Howdy Mr.klx, are you familiar with the Sam? (Sam Houston National Forest)

I've heard of that park but never been there. How is the trails there? I'm pretty sure its well kept and fun to ride! What is the cost for entry? I might make this one of my trips this week and I'll be riding up there not trailering.

I've heard of that park but never been there. How is the trails there? I'm pretty sure its well kept and fun to ride! What is the cost for entry? I might make this one of my trips this week and I'll be riding up there not trailering.
You'll need to get the annual off road sticker ($8) for your bike. Not sure what part of Hou you're in but some of the bike shops around town sell them, call around. Then there's an honor box fee at the trailheads, can't remember but I think it's like $5 per day. I highly recommend that you DO NOT RIDE ALONE out there!!! The trails go for miles and you can bank on getting hopelessly lost the 1st few times you go.:eek2::rofl: I also recommend not riding anything bigger than a 400 especially if you're new to off road riding.
Top your tank off, take lots of water and don't enter a trail without at least 2 hours of daylight left in the day. The trails are very sandy and muddy after a rain. Few rocks but lots of exposed tree roots.
Watch this forum for group rides heading out there and join up with other riders. Again DO NOT RIDE ALONE:shame:, ask Silverbullet why we don't ride the Sam alone!!:lol2:

Sorry for the hijack Joel.

I found another completely un-ridden trail/road out there today. That brings my super secret gem count to two.
My loose lips gave up the sand to Jthomson, but I don't think he has spilled the beans yet.

It's a small area, but the sand is deep. It's fun for a few laps.

I made it out to this area today. Only had a little time, but it was really good time...

I have a little Honda tlr 200 that would be right at home out there.

I was warned about the puddles. That was good advice. I bogged down in 12" of mud going around one... came to a stop in the mud, put down my foot. By the time It hit solid ground, the mud and muck was to my knee. :doh:

so, I'm quite proud that one of my very first posts here is to report that I got muddy. :rider:

Thanks yall. Hope to meet ya out there some day. And I promise to stay farther away from the puddles...:doh:

Anybody up for riding this Sun/Mon/Tues 23/24/25? Itching to get on the bike, its been a while!

Sunday for sure. What time can you make it out?

I'm leaving for work right now, but I will get back to you later this afternoon.

Anytime after 8 works for me... I'll be sure to load up the trunk tonight so I'm not late again!

how's the new bike treating you??

I can come out in the morning. Let me know where and when.

I have hardly ridden the bike, and this will be the shakedown run for the suspension.

Let's meet at 8 am in the parking lot for the soccer fields across from the Sac-n-Pac.

Bastrop, it will be nice to finally meet you.

Ok sounds good. I know the best place anywhere to get a breakfast taco if you are interested.

Edit: I'm up, i'm up.. heading out in 10 mins!

Was a very busy night tonight... Going to lay down for a little bit now.. I have every intention to be there, but If I am not there at 8, please don't wait up for me...

Last edited:
I'm off (to) get a doughnut and I'll be there waiting.

Last edited:
It has tons of power, and I love the steering dampener. It's TALL, so I have to be careful to lean uphill if I stop on a sideslope. The gearing is close to where I want it, and I need to learn to work the suspension. I think I need to increase the rebound dampening on the rear shock. I just about got kicked off hopping a log.

It is a different animal than the NX, that's for sure.

Tippy toes it is. I had the stock seat foam on so I could touch easier, but that's not going to fly for 450 miles. Tailbone management is the name of the game, so I put the tall foam back on when I got home. The tall foam is about 1 1/2 inches wider in the 'meat' of the seat and about 1 1/2 taller. I rode with Smeghead a while back and he comes nowhere near touching on his TALL KTM. He had to jump off at every stop. It won't be that bad for me, but it will be a learning experience.

The trees didn't give me much problem. It's just that I have to think technique! I need to work on my log hopping skills...

I'm going over her with a fine-toothed comb. I'm not used to the sound of her, so tomorrow I'll check the valves to make myself feel better.

I ordered the Aceribis rear aux tank for the 450 ride, so you can check it out and see if it would work for your TAT trip, Gary.

I would love to do NM, but I can't start thinking about the next ride until the 450 is behind me. My wife needs a break, and I will give her one. If momma's not happy...

Thanks Joel, but I already have a 6.6 gallon tank for my CRF, so don't need an axillary tank!! Glad to hear it's working out for you.

Gary

Back