• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bastrop, Tx Dual Sport Rider

RollingJ

You can be a 0 or a
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Sims
Hello everyone! I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself.

I ride an 89 NX250, mostly around town and in the dirt. I was a MC mechanic in my youth, but sold the bikes and changed professions when I started having kids. I have been working the cable/satellite industry for the last 15 years. Last year I convinced my wife (by obtaining a very generous insurance policy) to let me get another bike, so here I am. I don't get to travel very often, as the lovely lady likes having me home at night, but I do thrash the trails as often as I can.

If anyone is local to the Austin area, I will be hosting a group trail ride on 1/22/11 in Bastrop, Tx to share the trails around here. We will meet up around 9am and ride for 2-3 hours.

There is a great loop of 'roads' that were cut out of The Lost Pines for a subdivision and never maintained. They are in horrible shape, which makes them perfect for what I love! There are a bunch of water crossings/mud puddles (if there has been rain), hills and dips, rocky double track, two short tough hillclimbs full of babyheads, a few small jumps, and lines galore through it all. All the tough stuff can be bypassed except for a flat slushy section 40ft long on the main trail under the power lines.

I hope to meet up with ya'll!

Joel
IMG_5724.jpg

Hi Joel.

I am 12 miles from you. Welcome to the site.
sent you a pm

BTW........love that bike!!!

Last edited:
Another one from Bastrop. Now if I can get my DT project going.

:welcome:

Those little NX's are some quite capable machines if you are willing to get "creative" when tackling the rough stuff. A buddy of mine brought his up to Bulcher with us and went everywhere that the true dirt bike crowd went. We had to pick his bike up and over some of the rocks for fear of smacking the motor, but the bike kept on going.

My bike is old enough to drink liquor, but runs like a top. It is **** hard to find parts, and the tire sizes (19/16) give me no options for good dot knobbies. Trailwings are just about it. Stock gearing makes it **** near impossible to lift the front tire, but I don't want to give up top speed right now.

The plastic skid plate that came on these was a joke. Mine was missing anyway. There is no aftermarket for a bike sold for only 3 years in the US 20 years ago, so a proper skid plate will need to be fabbed.

However, it takes the nasty stuff in stride, and falls very gently!

If you want another one, my buddy might be selling is fairly soon. I can ask him today and see if he wants to get rid of it.

No thanks. I love the bike, but the next one needs more power and the ability to get better tires.

Now that is a good first post! :clap:

I might try to make that if the wife will let me sneak out two weekends in a row.

Hi Joel, welcome to the site.

I have to come on the ride, it's so close to home. I live right off Upper Elgin River Rd. and 969.

9am sounds good but where?

C'mon Coolhand and CBAT, you'll be home before 1pm.

John

edit: I see the new post with the ride details, see you there.
Ride details here

Last edited:
I just now saw the post, or I would have ridden Tahitian trails with you guys. I live in Tahitian Village and ride some of the trails/roads you talked about. But, I have a HEAVY Triumph Scrambler that is a bit much for some of these trails. I would like to get in touch with Bastrop area riders interested in the state park road and the gravel roads around here. Go ahead and shoot me an e-mail if you like.

smligon@att.net

Welcome to TWT and back to bikes. Seems there was several of us that moved away from bikes when we started having kids but have found our way back.

Back