• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: Battleship Texas

In one of the videos they said in 47' they ballasted her down with tons of brackish water and it rusted the guts out of her.
They filled it to position it, and then pumped it back out, but it was never correctly cleaned of the salt residue till the '88 retrofit.
It was being attacked from inside and out for 40 years. The biggest rust issue now is because of the torpedo blisters, the area they were covering did not get a full treatment on the exterior in '88

They filled it to position it, and then pumped it back out, but it was never correctly cleaned of the salt residue till the '88 retrofit.
It was being attacked from inside and out for 40 years. The biggest rust issue now is because of the torpedo blisters, the area they were covering did not get a full treatment on the exterior in '88

Fascinating.

Or if we have personnel for such a craft, not to mention battleships are outdated technology. That all said, Theodore Roosevelt created some of our most prized national parks, it wouldn’t have been conceptually out of reach to do the same with San Jacinto and the battleship Texas grounds. This is a choice we as Texans neglected, preserving the ship is good, but we as Texans could have done more including buying property from private interests to make sure our history was preserved and respected. Sorry folks, but the current park is next to a garbage dump. That’s on us.
out dated saved our bacon back in 2012!
HEHE

I got to see her this past weekend while on a boat tour during the TAMUG Family Weekend in Galveston. A few samples attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20221008_182756738.jpg
    PXL_20221008_182756738.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 111
  • PXL_20221008_182833105.jpg
    PXL_20221008_182833105.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20221008_184202335.jpg
    PXL_20221008_184202335.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 116
Wow - hard to believe she could even still float. I hope they do do a good job on the renovations.

They were showing and talking about those torpedo blisters on the last video. What a mess. They were also showing them water blasting out the foam.

They were showing and talking about those torpedo blisters on the last video. What a mess. They were also showing them water blasting out the foam.
Yeah, some of the metal supports in the blisters were just getting blasted away with the pressure washer.
Probably felt like crackers, just all brittle and crumbly rust.

Compartmentalization, it was designed to take hits from torpedoes and heavy artillery.

it's cool, but at some point, with steel vs salt water, don't you have to say, "Good night, ol' gal" and turn her into an offshore reef? I guess as long as people want to spend private money on it, go for it.

it's cool, but at some point, with steel vs salt water, don't you have to say, "Good night, ol' gal" and turn her into an offshore reef? I guess as long as people want to spend private money on it, go for it.

Too much awesome history to let it go.

I agree it’s an uphill battle, but maintaining any of this old stuff takes effort. Preserving old buildings and other sites also takes effort. But I think it’s important to maintain this stuff. More important to me than sending billions to Ukraine, or many of the other countless ways our government wastes money.

I got to see her this past weekend while on a boat tour during the TAMUG Family Weekend in Galveston. A few samples attached.
In my younger days I worked at Ingalls Shipyard in Pascagoula Ms. I had the opportunity to stand under a LHA Marine Corps Aircraft Carrier in drydock and held it up with just one finger. I wish I still had that picture.

Back