• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: Battleship Texas

Circia 1970's something I went over it in the floorboard of a Chrysler Newport after seeing what was coming.

I'm sure you know it is another 1.5hrs from San Jac Battleground over to Port Arthur.

taking the ferry from Bolivar into Galveston is usually not a problem and they are bike friendly. Leaving Galveston on the ferry can be quite a wait. Going to Galveston thru High Island is a nice ride.

taking the ferry from Bolivar into Galveston is usually not a problem and they are bike friendly. Leaving Galveston on the ferry can be quite a wait. Going to Galveston thru High Island is a nice ride.

I'm not sure what you mean by bike friendly, but you can't cut in line anymore. Ten or fifteen years ago you could, it made sense and they tried to fill the nooks and crannies of the ferry with bikes. I guess there were complaints and they stopped that practice, this according to one of the traffic cops there at the ferry back then.

By the way, the stop in Gonsales(z) (put that "z" on the end, don't listen to that JMZ character), to see the canon(s) is actually pretty interesting, if you haven't done it before. One of my favorite Texas phrases is "Come and Take It!" and for a brief stop, you can see the history. As JMZ mentioned though, do take 532 to 155 and then 2434. It is one of the best unknown alternatives to I-10 and 90 alt you will find. Also, if you coming through Seguin, 466 is good. There are NO good ways through Houston! You can use 102 from Columbus, to get down to Eagle Lake from I-10 to get back on 90 alt, but I would suggest just staying on I-10 and using the HOT lanes, bikes are legal.

I would be interested in this and will watch the tread for updates.

Anyone interested in the Hard Hat tour too?

I would be interested in this and will watch the tread for updates.

Anyone interested in the Hard Hat tour too?

That looks very interesting, just looks very strict on times and reservations. Not the easiest on a bike but we could make it happen. Might have to opt for the shorter tour. Being retired I’d like a weekdays trip to avoid traffic but I’m flexible. Let’s just avoid Labor Day

Early October there's a car show on the deck. Supposed to be the last one and I was sort of thinking I'd trailer the old army jeep down for a picture...

You do not want to make the hard hat tour till late fall , also it used to be possible to ride the beach to Port Arthur at low tide , I’ve done it on my Cagiva and 950 but it’s been over ten years ago . There was a stretch thru there that required extream focus , it could be pretty ugly at times .

You do not want to make the hard hat tour till late fall , also it used to be possible to ride the beach to Port Arthur at low tide , I’ve done it on my Cagiva and 950 but it’s been over ten years ago . There was a stretch thru there that required extream focus , it could be pretty ugly at times .
This answered my question. I see it is 20 miles from high island to sea rim park. Hurricane Jerry in 1989 resulted in closure. If I had the proper equipment (a certain yahama 2 wheeled vehicle) seems like a great place to escape about half way through.

I’m possibly in for this.

Actually, I’ve been intending to visit this site.

I planned for it to be the last stop of a route starting at Gonzalez. The Texas Runaway Scrape Route. The route that Sam Houston & the Texican army took after the Alamo & ended at the battle of San Jacinto took them 6 weeks. Modern GPS shows it to be a 6 hour ride.

Can you post the gpx file?

Public visits to the 107-year-old Battleship Texas near Houston will be limited during cataloging of thousands of artifacts on board amid plans for $35 million in ship repairs.

The Texas Parks & Wildlife Department on Friday announced, starting July 8, the vessel at the Battleship Texas State Historic Site in La Porte will close to visitors Monday through Thursday. The ship will be open Friday through Sunday.

Anyone currently holding July and August reservations, that were made prior to Wednesday, can visit as scheduled.

Department spokesman Stephanie Garcia says artifacts on board must be taken care of, for storage, before the ship goes into dry dock to fix the leaking hull.

Theres no defendant plans yet. We still have cloudcroft to do last week of this month before we are on to this. Stay tuned.
If we can't see the inside, Im sure we will still go see it. We just like to ride.

My favorite uncle told us the story of when he flew under that bridge, did a full loop and went under it again in a WWII fighter plane prior to departing overseas. The bridge was called the "Orange" bridge because that is the road to Orange Texas. It was also called the Rainbow bridge.

I'm up for it if I can get Mitch to come out and play. End of September is the NTNOA get together in Jefferson. Labor Day in the antique motorcycle swap meet in Davenport.
Going to be a busy month.

theres a duplicate thread going on this and they set date to be september 21

Few years back bikes went to the front of the Bolivar ferry boat. Don't forget it's a ferry boat so don't drop your wallet...

They got the water under control. Last year they were pumping 2,000 gallons a minute now they are down to 10 gallons a minute. They used spray foam to stop the leaks.
Next up will be dry docking in Galveston Texas January-April 2022.
Foam-Trial-4-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
Back