• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beam Me Up... (The Beemer Thread)

This is an inspiring thread, all those GSs..... but we need to have non-Adventure riders well represented at Starbucks :trust:.

[/URL]

OK, Now I have to prove there is more to BMW then GS, boxers, and 6 cylinders (not that there is anything wrong with those bikes). Of course, this is probably my fault, as I still don't frequent Starbucks... :roll:

11 months on my 2015 K1300S, only 1 trip to good roads in Arkansas, and one to the Hill Country, but I'm still over 10k miles as I can't stop riding it most every day. This is a wonderful machine! Such a shame the model has been discontinued, replaced with, well, nothing comparable in my mind.

IMG_20150117_135414_zps60c6f99e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After Various Beemers R100T, (Hannigan Fairing) Several R1100S's an R1200ST, and an R1200GSA, they all were a Hoot to ride and maintain but nothing makes me giggle like this bike....:trust:
a 2015 Motus MST

IMG_1607 - Copy.jpg

New%20Ride_zps4mxqdcr5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well, the Madstad and the Piaas are on and working as I'd hoped. The weather's finally getting rider friendly.

My bigger (front wheeled) brother. Nice looking Dakar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm having fun emptying my bank account "Davidising" it.:eek2:

I may as well add another GS to the mix, it is a 2012 low GS. I did a Saddle Sore last month with it. I should have my new 2 3/8 shorter shocks for it next week and I should have all my extra wiring moved to the right side by then.

Next on my to do list is add a 5 gallon fuel cell and run the fuel line down the left side :rider:

This is a great bike and is very comfy for me. I have had a K1200GT and a F650 Dakar in the past.

Santa Babe let me open a present early today. Yay me!
871d5202033a52b138c45087f28e883f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I got tired of unstrapping my tailbag to take it in the room with me at night. Solved the problem by making an aluminum rack that used the pillion mount and strapped my tailbag to that.

IMG_0311%201023_zpsh8tmfytr.jpg

IMG_0313%201023_zpst7em4ckm.jpg

IMG_0314%201023_zpsgoq2c8hn.jpg

Cool,. Sadly nothing for my poor orphan...

BTW, dropped the RT in the drive the other day and broke the mirror swivel. So I called Mancuso with the part number and it should be in this week. Pretty good when parts for a 16 year old motorcycle are only a week away.

m

I can get you Kildalas info if you want it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hi All, Long time no post for me, but I've never been overly consistent on forums.

I've been riding a 2006 Honda VFR800 for about 5 years now and I'm now looking for something more comfortable for two-up riding so that I can include the wife, who happens to love riding with me. The Viffer is just too **** cramped for the two of us, and it's not overly comfortable for solo riding over long distances anyway.

After several months of reading reviews, looking at current bikes, looking at older bikes, changing my mind several times, and pulling some hair out... I finally decided (mostly, sort of) on a 2005 - 2009 BMW R 1200 RT (whatever 'gen' that is). More specifically, I'm considering 2006 - 2008 models, since they tend to fall into my budget.

Anyone have any thoughts on that? Any experience with the RT? For instance, I've read that the 2006 RT uses servo assisted braking, but it sounds like it really isn't anything to be concerned about.

I found 2 bikes up here in the DFW area, both just under $7k. The 2006 has just under 19k miles, while the 2007 has around 41k miles. Seems like the 2006 would be a better buy.

I had also been thinking about a Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200, but I don't think I'm going to find one of the current gen bikes within my budget (which is around $7500).

I think I have the answers I was looking for. The general consensus is to look for a well maintained bike, whether it be '06, '07, '08, etc. If all things are equal, go for a '08 (later production model) or an '09, since BMW had sorted out some issues by then.

I was surprised to discover that the '08 has a considerably smaller gas tank than the prior year model. It looks like BMW managed to improve the fuel economy, so I suppose the goal was to drop some weight from the bike. I kind of like the idea of the larger tank, but if the fuel economy numbers are correct for the 2 bikes, it seems there is not a huge delta in terms of distance between stops (276 vs. 349). Anything over 200, in terms of range, seems pretty reasonable, unless of course you are really out in the sticks.

I think I have the answers I was looking for. The general consensus is to look for a well maintained bike. If all things are equal, go for a '08 (later production model) or an '09, since BMW had sorted out some issues by then.

With my limited knowledge of BMW RT's, I agree completely. BMW repairs can be expensive. So paying for a lesser depreciated '09 with excellent maintenance and fewer issues is probably the cheapest way to go in the long run. BMW's are addictive.

Last edited:
is anyone attending the bmw riders association rally in harrison, ar oct. 1-4?

No. I joined RA when I got my 1st Beemer (K100RS) and read the first of their "ON" propaganda pubs that I received; the rest went in the trash when I got a round tuit and I did not renew my membership - too much like H.O.G. (of which I am a Life Member, and their monthly Pat-Myself-On-The-Back-For-Buying-A-Harley Advertisements go straight into the trash, too).

B O R I N G!

With my limited knowledge of BMW RT's, I agree completely. BMW repairs can be expensive. So paying for a lesser depreciated '09 with excellent maintenance and fewer issues is probably the cheapest way to go in the long run. BMW's are additive.

Wife keeps asking when I will buy a new GS. I tell her that my 05 is still going strong and I don't want the complexity of the newer bikes. I keep the maintenance up on it, fix the major things that break and ride the crap out of it. Not afraid to get it dirty either. I might not be as brave with the new waterhead.

Good morning all,

My name is Stefan (aka Ratelbadger) and I am a bi polar bike owner. I own a KLR 650 AND a K1100RS currently.

Now that I have "confessed" my illness to the group, can I get a little advice about a BMW repair that I need to attempt: leaking front fork seals on the '95 K1100RS?

I saw a slight drip/wet spot on the fork below the seal cap and I think that it is time to replace the seals. I tried that "seal" tool that "cleans out the sweep area" on the fork but it does not look like it helped. I also want to put fork gaiters on the forks as even my KLR has them lol

The question is, should I just rebuild the whole fork and not just the seal?

I am somewhat handy working on things mechanical so I am hoping this is workable considering the videos I have seen.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for "understanding" my bi polar motorcycle addiction lol

Regards,
Stefan (aka Ratelbadger)

... I am a bi polar bike owner. I own a KLR 650 AND a K1100RS currently.

Shoot! Wait'll you really get infected!

... I also want to put fork gaiters on the forks as even my KLR has them lol

The question is, should I just rebuild the whole fork and not just the seal?

If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it!

I am somewhat handy working on things mechanical so I am hoping this is workable considering the videos I have seen.

Check the "ibmwr" Tech Pages and you'll likely find exactly what you're looking for => Click H E R E

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for "understanding" my bi polar motorcycle addiction lol

Regards,
Stefan (aka Ratelbadger)
:rider:

Stopped by the new BMW/Indian dealership this morning. It's behind the Hooters on the northbound side of I-45. Nice folks who appear to have their act together. Waiting on their final hoops to jump thru city wise. Service department waiting on their diagnostic machine, then they should be ready. Too many toys and temptations. Liking the GSA a lot but woof! 23K and I still need to add bags! Come on mega millions or power ball.

Stopped by the new BMW/Indian dealership this morning. It's behind the Hooters on the northbound side of I-45. Nice folks who appear to have their act together. Waiting on their final hoops to jump thru city wise. Service department waiting on their diagnostic machine, then they should be ready. Too many toys and temptations. Liking the GSA a lot but woof! 23K and I still need to add bags! Come on mega millions or power ball.

Just learned today about the new dealership in the Woodlands. This makes it the 4th one in the greater Houston area. Do not think many other cities have so many dealers...

Back