• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beemer bringing light to a sucky day

Reaction score
I wanted to write a snippit about a special motorcycle that has always made me smile. My uncle, the gentlemen in the pictures, has had this 1986 BMW R100RS for a little over 10 years. He bought it, not running, from a guy down the street for $1,500. I've drooled over it ever since. Over the years he has slowly tinkered with it, mainly getting the carbs set just right. I was there the first day he got it running and wow! I knew this bike was special.

Over the years, I've jokingly asked him to let me ride it, knowing he will say no, I'm not ready. But this year was different, he asked me. A group of family was sitting around in my grandmother's house, and I see him poke his head in the front door and discreetly motion for me to come outside. Deep inside, I knew exactly what was happening, I knew what this moment was. I walked outside, and there she was, parked on the curb, looking like a queen. You see, earlier that
day, we had laid my grandmother to rest. Hence the funeral clothes I hadn't had time to change out of yet.

My uncle knew that if there was anything that could lift my spirits that day, the Beemer would. I love all motorcycles, but I LOVE that R100. I got to escape reality for a brief couple trips around the block. My smile could hardly be contained and my eyes were all but forced shut by my ever-rising cheeks.

Vintage/classic BMWs are always cool.
I figure if I can manage to keep mine long enough, it will ascend to classic (just 6 more years to get a "classic" plate)
Thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry for your loss

Beautiful bike.

Sorry for your loss but also WOW what a SMILE!
Mission accomplished for your uncle I'd say, I think that 'feel good' went a long way for both of you.

I love when the pics at the top of the forum (desktop browser version) link back to cool stories like this!

Yep, and I missed this one and many others, some pretty old but still great reads.
The pics can be powerful clickbait.

I love when the pics at the top of the forum (desktop browser version) link back to cool stories like this!
I agree. I look at a lot of those pics and come across some really cool threads.

@t-cab12, sounds like your uncle really gets you and was able to help you at a very sad time, and I am sure he got a kick out of it too.

Back