• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beginner - following the interesting details assignment

Reaction score
I have only had my camera for about a month and am just learning how to use ISO, F stops, and Shutter Speed. Here are two shots from today where I was trying to get something with "interesting details".

~ Jennifer

Attachments

• thermometer2.jpg
    thermometer2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 304
I have only had my camera for about a month and am just learning how to use ISO, F stops, and Shutter Speed. Here are two shots from today where I was trying to get something with "interesting details".

~ Jennifer

Next two pictures ...

Attachments

• top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 291
  • pinecone.jpg
    pinecone.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 283
The first one (?liquid density thermometer?) is a really good start to what I think could be a super image. For me, the top of the bottle really doesn't do much to enhance the image so that needs to go either with a re-shoot or a crop. A crop would still have that 'shooting down on the subject' kind of look though. But wow - those colored vessels inside the water really make me curious to try and shoot that.

Maybe consider some sort of back light of the vessel and focus on the inside colors in fluid? For a back light concept, think of setting it in a window sill with sunlight coming through, or on a table outside with the sun behind it. Or maybe an LED flashlight shining on it. Get those colors and inside contents to really "pop" with color in that water. And get down at the objects level (or a trick is shoot it on something taller so you don't have to bend down!)

The top is cool. Just from a mechanical perspective, they are interesting items, and I like how you focused on the brighter part towards the front. There's just enough DOF to know what else is part of the top too. And you did well IMO by placing it on a aged surface instead of a smooth one. Adds to the 'character'.

The pinecone? Not doing much for me. Again, the angle of shooting down at the object is a turn-off for me. If you just have to shoot that thing, try getting even with it and fill the entire frame with it. That would certainly make it a tad bit more interesting for me at least.

You're off to a good start!

Out of the 3, I like the pine cone. I like recurring patterns though. I thought the first one would be the most interesting but it was kinda flat to me.

Check out digital-photography-school.com and get on their email list. They send out a weekly email with different articles and photo examples.

I agree with Scott, except like Sharkey, I like the pine cone too ;-) I have a thing for patterns.

The pine cone is my favorite from the technical aspect. I like that the top is sharp and the focus falls off as it goes down and gets wider. It leads the eye nicely.

The top is good. Part of me wants the shiney part to be in focus too though. I'd be tempted to try it again and play with higher f-stops and longer shutter speeds to see if I could get more of it in focus. Of focus on the brass part and see how that looks. I'll do that a lot, playing with the focus point and depth of field. When you get them on the computer flip back and forth and your eye will tell you which one grabs your attention. That's the one to choose.

Looks like you are on your way though. Excellent start.

At first I tried to get the entire thermometer in the pictures, but couldn’t decide where to place it so that the background was not distracting. Outside in the sunlight would be interesting. I also tried shooting straight on so that you could see the entire thermometer, but didn’t like the way it looked. I will keep playing.

Thanks, I took two pictures of the top. One had the writing of the craftsman in view, but the color variation was not there. I liked the side with the drilled holes and variation in wood color.

Pine cone from different angle attached … I took this one at the same time … but didn’t post.

The first one (?liquid density thermometer?) is a really good start to what I think could be a super image. For me, the top of the bottle really doesn't do much to enhance the image so that needs to go either with a re-shoot or a crop. A crop would still have that 'shooting down on the subject' kind of look though. But wow - those colored vessels inside the water really make me curious to try and shoot that.

Maybe consider some sort of back light of the vessel and focus on the inside colors in fluid? For a back light concept, think of setting it in a window sill with sunlight coming through, or on a table outside with the sun behind it. Or maybe an LED flashlight shining on it. Get those colors and inside contents to really "pop" with color in that water. And get down at the objects level (or a trick is shoot it on something taller so you don't have to bend down!)

The top is cool. Just from a mechanical perspective, they are interesting items, and I like how you focused on the brighter part towards the front. There's just enough DOF to know what else is part of the top too. And you did well IMO by placing it on a aged surface instead of a smooth one. Adds to the 'character'.

The pinecone? Not doing much for me. Again, the angle of shooting down at the object is a turn-off for me. If you just have to shoot that thing, try getting even with it and fill the entire frame with it. That would certainly make it a tad bit more interesting for me at least.

You're off to a good start!

Attachments

• pinecone2.jpg
    pinecone2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 267
Out of the 3, I like the pine cone. I like recurring patterns though. I thought the first one would be the most interesting but it was kinda flat to me.

Check out digital-photography-school.com and get on their email list. They send out a weekly email with different articles and photo examples.

Thanks, I am getting their e-mails and have also been watching the Olympus Anywhere Classroom Videos. I also took one class on Udemy and am almost finished with the second. All good info ... but putting into practice is the challenge :-)

Scott coming out and helping me think about / practice understanding light has been the biggest help!

Last edited:
The pine cone is my favorite from the technical aspect. I like that the top is sharp and the focus falls off as it goes down and gets wider. It leads the eye nicely.

The top is good. Part of me wants the shiney part to be in focus too though. I'd be tempted to try it again and play with higher f-stops and longer shutter speeds to see if I could get more of it in focus. Of focus on the brass part and see how that looks. I'll do that a lot, playing with the focus point and depth of field. When you get them on the computer flip back and forth and your eye will tell you which one grabs your attention. That's the one to choose.

Looks like you are on your way though. Excellent start.

Great suggestions!

More on that pinecone.... :sun:

I'd be curious to see what this looks like.... Put the pinecone on a flat surface of some sort and make sure it's standing as straight as possible. Then, you stand directly on top of it while focusing on the very center top point area. Try different DOF's to get just the tip top, the tip top and mid-way down and the tip top and as much DOF as possible. Keep ONLY the pinecone in the frame, ie: don't let the frame contents spill outside of the pinecone. Might take a square crop in the end too. :ponder:

Side shot of pine cone does nothing for me. Funny how such a simple perspective change makes such a big difference.

Here are a LOT of free videos by Mark Wallace at AdoramaTV. Most of them are 8-15 minutes long. They cover a wide variety of topics from basics to advanced. I really enjoyed them and learned a lot. I intend to rewatch them in the very near future since I just bought a new camera.

Season One
http://www.adorama.com/alc/0013712/article/AdoramaTV-Season-1

Season Two
http://www.adorama.com/alc/0013713/article/AdoramaTV-Season-2

Here is the general link to Adorama TV:
http://www.adorama.com/alc/category/AdoramaTV

Here are some follow up shots from today ... :photo:

I have an Olympus M5 II with a 14-150 mm lens. The aperture is 4 - 5.6. I don't seem to get the DOF I want without being away from my subject and using the zoom.

So ... follow up:
Thermometer shots outside, two different angles / backgrounds.
Pinecone from the top (found out I can control the amount of flash with the flash that came with the camera).
Top with the gold/bronze tip as the focal point.

Attachments

• pinecone_a_1-18-2016.jpg
    pinecone_a_1-18-2016.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 275
  • thermometer_b_1-18-2016.jpg
    thermometer_b_1-18-2016.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 271
  • thermometer_a_1-18-2016.jpg
    thermometer_a_1-18-2016.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 262
  • top_a_1-18-2016.jpg
    top_a_1-18-2016.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 267
I also took the camera along to trumpet lessons this afternoon. The angle was difficult as the music stand was in front, and again, to get the aperture I am aiming for I have to be back and zoom in.

Light coming in the window and a light on the piano behind ...

In one photo you can see his instructor's trumpet coming in to the photo.

Attachments

• Mason.jpg
    Mason.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 280
  • Mason2.jpg
    Mason2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 264
:tab There are a bunch of different apps that can be downloaded for your iPhone/Android that will let you enter the mm of the lens, the f stop, and distance to the subject, that will then show you what your depth of field will be in front and behind the focus point. I use one on my iPhone to get an idea of what settings I want to use and where I need to be standing to get the shot I want. Mine was free and so not real sophisticated. There are some that you pay for that have many more options.

I use TrueDoF-Intro (free).

Last edited:
Back