• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best Advice you have received that improved your riding

Don't trust a gps to give an accurate depiction of where a road goes if you are unsure based on visual cues... It could cost you your life. Better to slow down until you can be certain based on facts on the ground.

Everyone has been telling me to watch "The Office" & in the episode i finally did watch Carrell drove his rental car into a lake when his gps told him to.

Rules
1) Ride like the other guy w/do the worst possible thing
2) Leave your attitude @ the door
many more, but they're mostly here already.

So...? How about it?

What really made an impression on you in a way that really improved your riding skills?

Look where you want to go, not at what you’re scared of hitting, running off trail etc,
and
when in doubt roll on the throttle- slower is definitely not always safer or easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always late apex.

It surprises me how rarely I see people late apexing when street riding. I believe it's one of the most crucial techniques needed for survival.

This plus looking where I'm going, and properly judging corners, made me go faster.

Always late apex.

It surprises me how rarely I see people late apexing when street riding. I believe it's one of the most crucial techniques needed for survival.

This plus looking where I'm going, and properly judging corners, made me go faster.

I would venture to guess that the VAST majority of riders have no clue what you mean by late apex. I would have to agree that learning this had a BIG impact on my riding, for the better.

Several:

1. Dirt/trail/hill climbs: "When in doubt, wring it out."
    In the context of climbing aggressive terrain, the loss of speed causes of control. Feel yourself falling or losing control - hang on and power-out. During my younger days, all my buddies parrotted this.
  2. "Push down on the inside handlebar like you're preparing for a corner in the dirt." While second nature on dirt, it was not so second nature after an extended period of not riding much and certainly not on large heavy street bikes. It was a much welcomed reminder that I practiced creating second nature habit in street riding.
  3. "Look ahead down the road a bit to where you want to end-up." Super advice, but easier to practice for me when put in this simple language.

Still true after 11 years... :lol2: Look where you want to go. Eliminate target fixation.
Your shadow points at people that can't see you in the sun.

The late apex brought back memories. I'm not sure who told me that about street riding but it is definitely the safer way to street ride.

However, the number one thing for me was from Randle T Bain, "You don't wear ear plugs?" Totally change my overall riding experience for the better. Yes, it took a few rides to get used to them, but after that I felt naked without them.

However, the number one thing for me was from Randle T Bain, "You don't wear ear plugs?" Totally change my overall riding experience for the better. Yes, it took a few rides to get used to them, but after that I felt naked without them.

Oh yeah. I started that real early on in my riding career. Very glad I did. Likewise, if one of them is loose or not in right, I have to stop ASAP and get it fixed or it will drive me nuts. I also use a SENA 20S in my helmet. Using the ear plugs actually makes it easier to hear it. On long rides, the ear plugs do a LOT to reduce fatigue. I never would have expected that, but it is very true!

I always used to be a little more tentative in downhill corners than uphill ones. A good buddy told me to keep higher RPMs (lower gears) going downhill. Made a huge difference for me.
Dave.

Back