• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best area to ride immediate Houston Area

Reaction score
Got a friend in town for a day. Would like to get out and ride some good scenic area... probably best if within 2 hrs of Houston...Sam Houston? Anuhuac? What's good?

Which side of town are you starting from? I would not want to drag someone unfamiliar with H-town thru the thick of it on a moto.
If west/southwest side, I'd head down toward Brazoria county. Maybe take the Blue Water Highway back up Galveston Island and return on SH6.
If east side, go up towards Dayton/Liberty. It's wooded but check for flooded roads near the Trinity River basin. You can do Anahuac and High Island/Bolivar/Galveston via Ferry too. Great look at the coastal landscape. But the roads lack any 'features'.

Heading west from Katy you can take racer road 359 & 1458 out of Brookshire. Note that the LEOS know that 1458 is called racer road too, so no racing. From that area find 1094 in Sealy and head to New Ulm and the Frelsburg twisties on 1291. Then into Fayetteville for lunch at Orsaks or Joes. Pivo's Ice House in Lone Oak is supposed to have good burgers, but I can't vouch for it. Yankee's Tavern in Roans Prairie is popular with the biker crowd and has decent food considering it's a bar. 3090 between Brenham and 244 is pretty interesting. I don't know the area well, but if I were leaving from NW Harris county I'd just ride north and west on the FMs as they suited my fancy and I found the place. There can be some bicycle traffic out there, but there are some good roads around Magnolia.

If you decide to go southwest stay off of Alternate 90. There are a lot of gravel trucks that use that road.

There is some great riding in the forest in the NE. Maybe one of the guys up there will chime in.

Heading west from Katy you can take racer road 359 & 1458 out of Brookshire. Note that the LEOS know that 1458 is called racer road too, so no racing. From that area find 1094 in Sealy and head to New Ulm and the Frelsburg twisties on 1291. Then into Fayetteville for lunch at Orsaks or Joes. Pivo's Ice House in Lone Oak is supposed to have good burgers, but I can't vouch for it. Yankee's Tavern in Roans Prairie is popular with the biker crowd and has decent food considering it's a bar. 3090 between Brenham and 244 is pretty interesting. I don't know the area well, but if I were leaving from NW Harris county I'd just ride north and west on the FMs as they suited my fancy and I found the place. There can be some bicycle traffic out there, but there are some good roads around Magnolia.
Yup, lots of fun roads out there with good scenery.
I do a loop going south from Brooksire on 1489 to Simonton, then west on 1093, north 1458 all the way to Pattison. North on FM 359 to a little road called Adams Flat over to Wilson road. This brings me to 529 and I go home from there.

As said, there are a few roads south of New Ulm (Bostik, New Mintz/Weishuhn) that are fun.
FM 949 east of Cat Springs is also a fun little road.

I also found a nice road south of Hempstead/west of Bellville called FM 331. Nothing spectacular scenery wise, but has a few very high speed curves on it, good road conditions and little traffic.

Now you don't mention if your looking for street or offroad/dual sport. All this above is street.

Yup, lots of fun roads out there with good scenery.
I do a loop going south from Brooksire on 1489 to Simonton, then west on 1093, north 1458 all the way to Pattison. North on FM 359 to a little road called Adams Flat over to Wilson road. This brings me to 529 and I go home from there.

As said, there are a few roads south of New Ulm (Bostik, New Mintz/Weishuhn) that are fun.
FM 949 east of Cat Springs is also a fun little road.

I also found a nice road south of Hempstead/west of Bellville called FM 331. Nothing spectacular scenery wise, but has a few very high speed curves on it, good road conditions and little traffic.

Now you don't mention if your looking for street or offroad/dual sport. All this above is street.
No super technical stuff, I'm on a V-Strom 650...but got skid, plate and Shinkos so as ready as a Strom can be...so dirt and gravel mostly

Some of these folks mentioned roads in the area south of Brenham that we were talkin bout earlier....down to Frelsburg... New Ulm.. Cat Spring...not too far from Sugarland for a nice ride

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

I know there was a dirt road just north east of Ulm, long and twisty IIRC.

OK, between New Ulm and Nelson are several dirt roads (Skalak and New Bereman road)

Last edited:
There is gravel scattered over Austin, Fayette, Waller, Lavaca and Gonzales counties. Less when you're in the Austin Chalk since the oil money paid to pave everything. Any gravel road north of I10 is going to be Grade 1 with the exceptions of a couple of water crossings. The biggest issue will be the golf ball sized rocks on recent resurfacing. South of I10 is a little more sandy, but nothing that guys on big GS bikes don't ride. Roadthing used to ride his Harley Road King on the gravel in Austin county and JMZ has put all of the gravel south of I10 under his Strom. (And north of I10, and west of 35...)

If you want to get wet take Kilmer road north from 1291 just east of Fayetteville and follow it to Cummins creek. Maps don't show the low water crossing, but it is there. Note that recent rains may have made it a little treacherous, so get off and look first. Lots of gravel between New Ulm, Fayetteville and Industry.

blupupher is probably talking about Zimmerscheidt road and those connecting it. Dungens Mill (gravel) and Brunes Mill (paved) are fun roads in the area.

If you want to try something more adventurous, take County 14, 15, and 16 and Gandy Bend from Hallettesville down through Mulesprings to Morales (great burgers) and then head north on 284 again. Much of the area south of Hallettesville is open range so watch for wildlife and cattle. Last time I was through there work on the Eagle Ford had improved some of the roads.

One note. If you are south of I10 and east of Lavaca county in the Eagle Lake area you're going to be in the rice fields. There are a lot of unmarked private roads out there without gates. Most of the farmers are friendly, especially so if you ride reasonable speeds. DO NOT TRUST GARMIN out there.

" Zimmerscheidt road and those connecting it. Dungens Mill (gravel) and Brunes Mill (paved) are fun roads in the area." Neat roads but some nice houses that might not like bikes, lol! I'd keep the dust down.

The oak tree cafe a few miles west of Royers is much better and not a foo foo food place and affordable .

The Oaks is now Punky's kitchen. I'm not sure if it is the same people, though they were trying to sell it for ages. Can't speak for the food yet.

Despite having a place in Fayette county for a couple of decades, I've never been to Royers.

The best place to eat in Round Top is probably going to be The Garden Company. Don't plan on getting in during peak hours without a reservation.

Back