• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best Dual Sport Motorcycle

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Cycle World gathered four dual sport bikes - Beta 430 RR, KTM 500 EXC, Husqvarna FE450, and the Honda CRF450L - and compared them to each other. The report is posted here and is worth a read, especially if you are in the market for a dual sport motorcycle.

For those who don't want to read the entire thing, here's the summary:

"While each of the dual sport motorcycles in this shootout has its strengths and weaknesses, at the end of the three-day test, the rankings were clear. The 2019 Honda CRF450L is an impressive machine, especially in its first year on the market, but it’s held back by its weight, short powerband, and stiff clutch. For these reasons, it finished fourth in this very competitive shootout.

The 2019 Husqvarna FE 450 performed well in most situations, most notably when traction was hard to come by, but it lacked the low-end grunt and overall suspension performance of the two front-runners, which put it on the final podium position in this comparison test. The 2019 Beta 430 RR-S fought tooth and nail for the top spot, but its slight nervousness at speed and overly aggressive power delivery slotted it into the runner-up spot.

The best dual sport of the rigorous three-day test was the 2019 KTM 500 EXC-F. The orange machine checked all of the boxes in the wide variety of terrain Moab had to offer and, at the end of the day, was the preferred choice among test riders."

I woulda liked to see them put a little more effort to get a ktm 450, or let the husky 501 and beta 500 play.

I believe it was EVERIDE on YouTube talking about the best dual sport. I don’t know how it turns out but his rating theory is interesting. 1 to 10 road bike is a two stroke dirt bike/1 goldwing/10. 1 to 10 best off-road bike, gold wing/1, two stroke dirt bike/10. So I guess most folk on this site are basically looking for a 5.

Last edited:
I’d say the ktm 500 is an 8 off road and a 3 on road, so maybe the math makes it a 5. :rofl:

I woulda liked to see them put a little more effort to get a ktm 450, or let the husky 501 and beta 500 play.

I believe it was EVERIDE on YouTube talking about the best dual sport. I don’t know how it turns out but his rating theory is interesting. 1 to 10 road bike is a two stroke dirt bike/1 goldwing/10. 1 to 10 best off-road bike, gold wing/1, two stroke dirt bike/10. So I guess most folk on this site are basically looking for a 5.
:scratch:

Somehow...This Honda CRF450L Off-Road Race Bike Is Street Legal
What's more fun than ripping trails? Riding to those trails on your street-legal dirt bike.

this is your rally car with a license plate. The 450L's wet weight, with full fuel and fluids, is only 289 pounds, courtesy of trick components like a titanium fuel tank and lithium battery. The 450L also has a forged alloy sidestand, so you don't have to dump it on the ground or lean it against a tree when you stop to take a break. That's where the convenient features end because this bike is pretty hard core.

After 3 days of Rubber Chicken Rally in NM, I was amazed how well my '19 Beta 390-ultimate omb (old man bike) worked-if I had been on my old off road modified RM250 I wouldn't have been able to ride 350 miles on pavement, forest roads and "road" in high desert at my age and fitness level. Amazed at how easy it was to ride, saved me several times when I made a mistake in difficult sections.

Bought a 19 500EXC-F from Munn Racing for $10,300 OTD and 0.9% financing.

Ordered a Seat Concepts comfort seat, bar risers, Probend guards and awaiting a 3.1 gallon Acerbis tank.
All in order to make it more streetable.

Attachments

• 20190929_121640.jpg
    20190929_121640.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 236
  • 20191006_094013.jpg
    20191006_094013.jpg
    710.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 20191029_153841.jpg
    20191029_153841.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 229
Working on a similar project. 450 EXC. Already have
upgraded Ceat seat and larger fuel tank. Just ordered less agressive Shinko 700s for dual usage. Need some better mirrors and soft bags and I'm ready to go! Will get a skid plate eventually.

Oh yeah...talked with Bajaworx about a windscreen. They think the CRF450L one they make might work.

Last edited:
Working on a similar project. 450 EXC. Already have
upgraded Ceat seat and larger fuel tank. Just ordered less agressive Shinko 700s for dual usage. Need some better mirrors and soft bags and I'm ready to go! Will get a skid plate eventually.View attachment 246960

View attachment 246961

Oh yeah...talked with Bajaworx about a windscreen. They think the CRF450L one they make might work.
Woah, you got a dirt scooter?

You know I'm having a ride day Sunday right???

Woah, you got a dirt scooter?

You know I'm having a ride day Sunday right???
Yes I saw that! I'm almost ready!! Can't come this weekend, but... atleast I have the proper tools now!

I been trying to turn the Scrambler into a pseudo dirt bike, now I'll do the opposite and turn this into a pseudo adv bike!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes I saw that! I'm almost ready!! Can't come this weekend, but... atleast I have the proper tools now!

I been trying to turn the Scrambler into a pseudo dirt bike, now I'll do the opposite and turn this into a pseudo adv bike!!![emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
Sweet

Back