• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

best hot weather riding tips?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
Me too. Wait for cooler weather. :doh: :lol2:
I wish I knew when that was going to happen. Our LOW today was 94.

today.png

One thing that was brought up back in '16 is acclimating to the heat. Since I work outside more now I find that I'm definitely better prepared for it these days.

Getting your body used to the heat is a big help, for sure. I was out riding for ~7 hours yesterday starting around 0900 and finished up / was getting settle by 2100 with a few hours of meeting friends in the middle. No way would I have been able to pull off that riding, even with serious attention to hydration, back in April. Working outside in layers plus the bike rides has changed my metabolism/internal thermometer/whatever enough that I get cold at 80F inside the apartment.

I wish I knew when that was going to happen. Our LOW today was 94.

Dry heat!

It's been a few years since I've visited Vegas but I loved my morning runs along the strip. Sure it was warm but I was able to come back from a 2-mile run without my shirt being completely drenched.

Ride with friends who have fans And good food. Makes the temps much more tolerable 🥵

Attachments

• 3BD24683-C7E2-459C-9CA0-6D380C787A12.jpeg
    3BD24683-C7E2-459C-9CA0-6D380C787A12.jpeg
    560.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 43502CF2-2CAA-4F9C-BA59-284F2D7BB1E4.jpeg
    43502CF2-2CAA-4F9C-BA59-284F2D7BB1E4.jpeg
    591.9 KB · Views: 162
I rode about 90 miles yesterday morning leaving around 830 and it was nice. Rode back the long way starting at 3:00 pm and it was pretty hot . I had drank a couple of bottles of Gatorade before I left , had my Camelback on and I was covered with wicking clothes underneath from my klim jacket and pants from head to toe. I believe ventilation to the feet would help also . This was on my Tenere.

This is the temp in my office in the back of my service truck.
20 minutes in there and 100* feels good.
7c6ec16367ce7dd1ac3235954ae560c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

back when i was doing summer trips i would leave with a full belly and a full tank at the crack of dawn and get as many miles in as i could before 11am stop for an early lunch and put on the cooling vest before heading out again. stop every hour and rehydrate self and vest after that.

done for the day around 3-4 ish. rain and clouds would extend the day

you have to know your limitations and when to stop / rest / call it a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to start early so the heat builds as the day goes. I can ride all day if I start in the morning. I like to get up and get moving I usually have my coffee and a good breakfast taco, if your a big boy with a hearty appetite eat two I also try to consume a quart or so of water. I generally don't do lunch when it is hot. I don't understand stopping and eating a meal when it is hot. I might eat a few nuts or granola bar with a Gatorade in the afternoon. I always wear a drinking system in the heat and sip water frequently. I wear LD comfort or under-armor base layer. I adjust the vents in my gear as needed to balance air flow as to get some air without drying out. I like to keep moving so I don't disturb this dance. If i do stop i usually will try to find a shady spot with a breeze not an indoor spot with AC.

Regarding using hydration packs: If you haven't properly hydrated days or even a week before a long summer ride, most of the time the only thing that happens when sipping from the pack all day long is that the liquid just runs right through you instead of actually hydrating you. You can't hydrate on demand. You need to be properly hydrated in advance and all the time. Before I go on a 1 or 2 week trip, I work on hydrating myself fully for a solid week before I depart. The Camelbak simply supplements my body's need to hydrate, staying on top of the game. If all I'm doing is peeing it out...I'm dehydrated.

I always prefer to be geared up fully. As I'm not big on fairings on my bikes, 100+ degree heat at 80 mph for hours on end will only add to your core temperature. Being in a touring suit keeps my core at a constant temperature. Even if my core is slightly elevated, as long as I don't exceed 100, I can be pretty comfortable for 15 hours. The only negative is all the funny looks from people wondering how I can possibly not die inside my suit.

Under the suit, body conforming wicking long johns and nothing else. I make sure not to undress at a stop for lunch.

These 3 things is what works for me.

To those who ask in wonder about the black suit I'm wearing in the Summer (Motoport Air Mesh, no heat gain due to color) I explain how it is like wearing a shade tree, and that it insulates my body from direct exposure to sun and wind that would otherwise dry me out like jerky. If they still have blank stares I'll reference the traditional garb of those living in the Mid-East. Covered from head to toe. Then, explain they do this after centuries of adaptation for survival in that environment. So do I, only after a shorter learning curve.

Just dug out an Osprey Seral from my mountain bike gear and have fitted it across the handlebars by wrapping the waist belt around the mirror stalks. It will rest on the tank bag and slide easily when steering. Ought to work a treat and I won't have to go into contortions trying to get a pack on and off. It holds a 1.5 Liter bladder, and has space to pack a taco or two. More water in the top box.

Just picked up some of these.
a02d497ff70cea4fad6750c0264cb165.jpg

Bunch of salt and sugar and potassium and magnesium and calcium, also sodium glucose and sodium lactate.
Goes down surprisingly smooth gator aid generally bothers my stomach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Regarding using hydration packs: If you haven't properly hydrated days or even a week before a long summer ride, most of the time the only thing that happens when sipping from the pack all day long is that the liquid just runs right through you instead of actually hydrating you. You can't hydrate on demand. You need to be properly hydrated in advance and all the time. Before I go on a 1 or 2 week trip, I work on hydrating myself fully for a solid week before I depart. The Camelbak simply supplements my body's need to hydrate, staying on top of the game. If all I'm doing is peeing it out...I'm dehydrated..

You should stay properly hydrated 24/7/365 regardless. Then nothing special is required before a long hot ride. I'm not a camel with humps to fill at the last minute, only my camelback bladder to fill before kickstand up. Just because you pee alot doesn't mean you're dehydrated. Color of your urine is a better indicator. Clear to very pale yellow is your goal.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

A few of these would pack a lot easier,. I`ve taken quite a few of these when I was welding for a living and also sometimes for my job now.

Attachments

• elc.jpg
    elc.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 144
I keep either Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes Fizz or Nuun Sport tablets in the tank bag. They are made to drop into water to dissolve and make a drink, but I usually break a tab in half, put it on my tongue, then sip water a mouthful at a time from a hydration pack until it dissolves. Another thing from MTB that translates well to Summer on a motorcycle.

ELF_GRAPEFRUIT+13%20COUNT.jpg

I see someone’s been doing the recommended hand washing :D
its a dirty job and there is no sink in my truck. I have a two gallon pump up sprayer I use to wash my hands.
besides you eat dirt and bugs and you get a strong immune system and don't get sick.

I like to wear long sleeve lightweight merino wool shirts during the summer. They help with evaporative cooling and are anti-microbial which is good for long trip when you need to wear them for a couple days. I wear them under my mesh jacket or mesh armored shirt. I was riding through Tuscon on a recent trip and the temperature was 114, I opened my shield and the air hitting my face was like a blow dryer on high. When I closed my shield the air coming through the vents was dramatically cooler.

I wonder, since these threads happen at least yearly, if there’s a good place to pin a post with relevant links and information. Maybe set it up with different options for different budget levels?

Last edited:
I think next time I ride in the heat I'm going to try my Olympia pants with mesh in the thighs and maybe my Joe rocket to see if it helps.

Color of your urine is a better indicator. Clear to very pale yellow is your goal.
Not a good measure when you have lots of meds and vitamins to take. Mine is never clear. So I use frequency and volume as a gauge.

I like to wear long sleeve lightweight merino wool shirts during the summer. They help with evaporative cooling and are anti-microbial which is good for long trip when you need to wear them for a couple days. I wear them under my mesh jacket or mesh armored shirt. I was riding through Tuscon on a recent trip and the temperature was 114, I opened my shield and the air hitting my face was like a blow dryer on high. When I closed my shield the air coming through the vents was dramatically cooler.

Where do you buy those shirts?

Back