• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best-Mex: New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m watching this very closely. Was supposed to be south of the border at the time, but my how things change. If I do make Best-Mex, I can lead a group of 3-4. I’ll be on a 650L and like to ride at a fairly swift pace with minimal stops. I should know more in a couple of weeks.

Riding buddies and I did this last October! it was awesome. We started in Carlsbad and went counter clockwise to west of T&C before time got us. Went south then across Whitesands back over to Carlsbad. Took us 7 days because we took our time.
Remember to layer your clothes when planning. We went from warm dust storm to freezing, snow, hail and rain in 4 hour period. Sunscreen, water and snacks are a must!
Richard organizes great rides so join in if you can you won't regret it!

Not trying to hijack the thread but here is one view you will see!

That is a beautiful site, getting excited about the trip. Nice choice of ride :)

I would've loved to do this ride but have a commitment the starting weekend I can't get out of. Can't wait to follow along and take notes for when I get a chance to do it.

Where in Ruidoso, NM do folks park their trucks and trailers? Assuming a 690 would do the job for this trip.

Where in Ruidoso, NM do folks park their trucks and trailers? Assuming a 690 would do the job for this trip.

I'm going to ask the hotel if I can leave my truck/trailer there. If they say no, we will search around until we locate a suitable and safe location.

Looks like my riding partner is going to bail on this trip. I have all the rooms set up, double occupancy. Planning on trailering my KTM690 there. Anyone interested in joining along. Pay half gas and rooms. Let me know. Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gina and i are planning on this one. We'll camp. I'm getting excited about this one.

are you still planning on going, and camping, do you have a group, I am planning on camping, and looking for people to ride with

What is the bike selections of those of you going in this trip.? I know the NMBDR is big bike friendly but many prefer to go fast vs touring {enjoying the view) is Gina using her VStrom?

My June scheduled trip 'may' cancel. If that happens I'll see if I can rassle up some buds to do the ride. If I went I'd probably do it on the 690. Seems like the perfect 'tweener bike for distance and some technical stuff.

Any idea of what the head count is on this ride so far?

are you still planning on going, and camping, do you have a group, I am planning on camping, and looking for people to ride with
Hi Lane, we are still planning to camp. If you join us, we'll have 5 in the group and may have to call it full.
Currently we are planning to hotel in Ruidoso the first and last night and maybe one more night during the week. I have to study maps a bit more to figure out the details.

My June scheduled trip 'may' cancel. If that happens I'll see if I can rassle up some buds to do the ride. If I went I'd probably do it on the 690. Seems like the perfect 'tweener bike for distance and some technical stuff.

the 690 is the perfect bike for this ride.

What is the bike selections of those of you going in this trip.? I know the NMBDR is big bike friendly but many prefer to go fast vs touring {enjoying the view) is Gina using her VStrom?

No way Jose!

It'll be the Beastie Boy for this trip. However, I do not set speed records on dirt.

Bart,
I don't think there is a total head count being tallied. Rich suggests people organize into their own groups and run the route as they see fit.

Hi Lane, we are still planning to camp. If you join us, we'll have 5 in the group and may have to call it full.
Currently we are planning to hotel in Ruidoso the first and last night and maybe one more night during the week. I have to study maps a bit more to figure out the details.

PM sent

Looking at the route on page 1 and referencing the NMROADS site there are a few places the NMBDR may need to reroute if the Pueblos on reservation land remain closed to non-resident traffic.

I'm late to the dance and am mulling this trip over. Looks like it would be a fun ride if the timing and logistics come together for me. (thanks JT for mentioning it)

I am riding the 1090. Won’t be camping will be hoteling it each night. Hope to try and connect with the campers for
Cocktail hour in the evenings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bart,
I don't think there is a total head count being tallied. Rich suggests people organize into their own groups and run the route as they see fit.

That is correct. I do not have a head count since I am not running a registration for this ride.

Thanks Gina and Rich. I knew it was informal but was just curious. I guess you'll know when you get there. :-)

Ok, we're in. There will be 4 of us in our group.

Will be hoteling and camping. Will definitely be staying at the Quality Inn in Riudoso on the 6th and 12th and leave a truck and trailer there (hopefully). Would like suggestions from the group on which towns they'd recommend we camp in vs hotel in? Probably will camp 2 or 3 nights.

This trip looks great. I would love to go with a group but my leg won’t be ready by then.
Another time for me.
I wish you all a great time and look forward to pics and trip reports!

I just updated the first post in this thread with a change. Instead of staying at the Frisco Lodging Co. in Reserve, NM we will be staying at the Hidden Springs Inn, 6 miles west of Reserve. I am suggesting everyone else stay there too. The owner, Jenn, is allowing camping for those who want to camp. She is also providing an evening meal and alcohol (for those who want a meal and/or alcohol).

Hidden Springs Inn
2134 Hwy 180, Reserve, NM
40 acres of land, 2 ponds
camping $10, includes use of a shower
meal - $20 - steak and sides (you will cook your own steak on the grill when you arrive) - email Jenn at jennswen30@gmail.com to let her know you will be eating so she buys enough steak and prepares enough sides. Pay her upon arrival.
alcohol - email Jenn at jennswen30@gmail.com and place your order, she will have your drinks when you arrive. Pay her upon arrival.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back