• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best-Mex: New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are camping every other day. Any suggestions on campsites or do most people just figure it out on the way?

Day 1, Sunday, June 7 - 195 miles, overnight in Truth or Consequences, NM
Day 3, Tuesday, June 9 - 218 miles, overnight in Grants, NM
Day 5, Thursday, June 11 - 103 miles, overnight in Bernalillo, NM

JT, what are you using for fuel bottles? I think I'm about 8 miles short of the longest stretch.
I've got a couple of 1.5 liter fuel bottles from a friend, no idea where he got these, but many manufacturers make similar bottles.
41qJPWGG9BL._AC_.jpg

Now just two of us going. Looking for a trailer. I have a truck but not enough room for both bikes in the truck. Anyone have a two bike trailer that is going. We can throw one in the bed and two on the trailer. Share driving and gas....... :)

We are camping every other day. Any suggestions on campsites or do most people just figure it out on the way?

Day 1, Sunday, June 7 - 195 miles, overnight in Truth or Consequences, NM
Day 3, Tuesday, June 9 - 218 miles, overnight in Grants, NM
Day 5, Thursday, June 11 - 103 miles, overnight in Bernalillo, NM
I too want to camp, but looking at New Mexico's travel restrictions we will need reservations. Also has anyone looked into where to park our trucks and trailers?

Now just two of us going. Looking for a trailer. I have a truck but not enough room for both bikes in the truck. Anyone have a two bike trailer that is going. We can throw one in the bed and two on the trailer. Share driving and gas....... :)

I assume this is the ride Jamie and you were referring to on FB. I thought it was just going to be three (two now). Ed, I do have a trailer. It is a Kendon two bike with the added center rail. I am thinking I would like to camp mostly if I considered joining you. Let me e-mail Richard for the tracks and evaluate the route for camping. Whether I go or not you boys can use my trailer if you would like.

I assume this is the ride Jamie and you were referring to on FB. I thought it was just going to be three (two now). Ed, I do have a trailer. It is a Kendon two bike with the added center rail. I am thinking I would like to camp mostly if I considered joining you. Let me e-mail Richard for the tracks and evaluate the route for camping. Whether I go or not you boys can use my trailer if you would like.
We plan to camp as well. Thanks......

JT, what are you using for fuel bottles? I think I'm about 8 miles short of the longest stretch.
just pee in it.....8)
I had posted on a separate thread about doing the NMBDR in Late May/Early June. Well, with Memorial Day, Covid and getting caught up with work I can’t make it happen in that time frame. I can make the 6/6 - 6/12 trip. I‘m looking for a group to tag along with and will be riding my 1090. Plan on camping unless weather says otherwise. Anybody have room in their group or need to start a new group?
buddy of mine (flipit on TWT) and I are going. Just the two of us for sure and possibly a third friend on a Tiger. Phil and I are riding small bikes. KTM & Husky. We are camping. You are more than welcome to hang with us. I have a GPX file that I have been working on with all the tracks and waypoints for camping, hotels, food,gas and sites to see. Happy to share that with you also. Dan

just pee in it.....8)

buddy of mine (flipit on TWT) and I are going. Just the two of us for sure and possibly a third friend on a Tiger. Phil and I are riding small bikes. KTM & Husky. We are camping. You are more than welcome to hang with us. I have a GPX file that I have been working on with all the tracks and waypoints for camping, hotels, food,gas and sites to see. Happy to share that with you also. Dan
I would like them please. Thanks.

Trail Boss,

Thanks for all you do for the Texas Adv community. A couple of us were thinking about joining you for the NMBDR, even though we've already ridden its southern half. The northern leg and the mountains up to the Colorado line are alluring.

However, the other ginormous GS rider and I are opting for a dual sport ride in West Texas - you know, west of the Hill Country but not as far west as Big Bend. You covered a lot of it in your report, "Three Day, 1100 mile Dual Sport Ride to West Texas", in which you recounted your intrepid trio's trip from Bandera to Sonora and back. I grew up out there, and the West of the Pecos is calling.

We'll re-ride Pandale Rd and environs, get lost in the Pecos and Devil's River areas, visit the abandoned and new bridges, etc. After a few days, head back through the western Hill Country that you've written about so well. Never tire of it.

Thanks again,

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I have a reservation for all the Hotels for the NW BDR trip, I was planning to have someone come along but they are no longer able to. If someone would like to share, please let me know.

Hey Guys, I have a reservation for all the Hotels for the NW BDR trip, I was planning to have someone come along but they are no longer able to. If someone would like to share, please let me know.
How much that will be to split it with you ?

The whole stay is 474.82. If we share the cost, your part will be $237 for the entire stay (7 nights).

HotelsRateAccommodations Free Parking /WIFI
Motel 6 Ruidoso
54.09​
2 Queen Beds
Comfort Inn And Suites
76.88​
1 King Bed/ Free Breakfast
Motel 6 Grants
57.68​
2 Double Beds
Hidden Springs Inn
107​
1 Queen bed and 1 single bed
Rodeway Inn
67.8​
2 Double Beds/Free Breakfast
Motel 6 Bernalillo
57.28​
2 Queen Beds
Motel 6 Ruidoso
54.09​
2 Queen Beds
Total
474.82​
Half the Cost is $237.

The whole stay is 474.82. If we share the cost, your part will be $237 for the entire stay (7 nights).

HotelsRateAccommodations Free Parking /WIFI
Motel 6 Ruidoso
54.09​
2 Queen Beds
Comfort Inn And Suites
76.88​
1 King Bed/ Free Breakfast
Motel 6 Grants
57.68​
2 Double Beds
Hidden Springs Inn
107​
1 Queen bed and 1 single bed
Rodeway Inn
67.8​
2 Double Beds/Free Breakfast
Motel 6 Bernalillo
57.28​
2 Queen Beds
Motel 6 Ruidoso
54.09​
2 Queen Beds
Total
474.82​
Half the Cost is $237.
I am in. Call me at (281) 798-9099 when ever you have a free time. how are you getting to Ruidoso?

That looks very interesting. This would be on day 5? I show that leg as being only 130 miles that day, we should be able to hop off of 4 onto 126, by Deer Canyon?

FOREST ROAD 376 IS GREAT. RUN IT NORTH TO SOUTH. A LITTLE LESS THAN A MILE INTO IT, TAKE A LEFT ON 604 AND STOP AT THE FIRST SHARP RIGHT HAND SWITCHBACK. THERE IS A OVERLOOK TO A BUNCH OF TENT ROCKS BELOW. ITS WORTH THE STOP.

Hi Ken, I thought that was one of the roads you recommended. I wish you could make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back