• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best-Mex: New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree I always use travel insurance. I use AIG Travel guard for “me and my father” it is about $78 for a 1&1/2 week trip. You have to call to get it set up correctly. If you do it online you end up paying for a lot you don’t need in a travel policy. I do have a inReach and should look at that.

View attachment 264676
View attachment 264677
View attachment 264678

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t see Jesus recommending that policy [emoji23]

I also pay $20 month for my spot and it also has some roadside coverage and rescue coverage. I keep that year round.

I don’t see Jesus recommending that policy [emoji23]

I also pay $20 month for my spot and it also has some roadside coverage and rescue coverage. I keep that year round.

I’m a little sad that look me a minute. [emoji23]
Wile I’m taking up forum room I’ll add my YouTube it has a NMBDR playlist from a couple of years ago. The NMBDR is definitely your favorite BDR so far.

Thanks for posting the videos, Kory. What were the dates of your trip? The other videos I've seen of Chloride Canyon show a lot more water in the creek.

Thanks for posting the videos, Kory. What were the dates of your trip? The other videos I've seen of Chloride Canyon show a lot more water in the creek.

We started May 30th 2018 it was great weather the occasional evening shower and great temperatures.

Good news for those of us with a 3 gal tank. The General Store in San Antonio NM (a little less than half way in on the first day) is open and has gas. I called the store number and could never get anyone to answer so I called the water district office and got a girl on the line. She confirmed the store is open and there are two places for food in town and one has outdoor (dine in) seating. https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...cc0d4ecff1573!8m2!3d33.9179268!4d-106.8685221

The Owl Bar has always been a great place to get a Green Chili Cheeseburger.
Trivia: San Antonio, NM is the birthplace of Conrad Hilton, founder of the Hotel chain.
yes , she told me the owl bar was the place that added outdoor seating. see you there Sunday afternoon!

You guys making me hungry..... For food and for DIRT! Ready to roll!

me too.......We were suppose to go to MOAB in April for our yearly slick rock motorcycle adventure and the FREAKING GOV! shut it all down!!!!!!!! so ready for an adventure!

We had hoped that Elephant Butte SP would reopen June 1. I had a robo call yesterday from NM State Parks saying that the parks would not open until June 17. Back to the google search...

I was just in Cloudcroft. Every camp was open even dough it said they would be closed. Bathrooms were closed. Dont know about your area , just FYI.
Try the Hipcamp app. Might show something .

I was just in Cloudcroft. Every camp was open even dough it said they would be closed. Bathrooms were closed. Dont know about your area , just FYI.

Cloudcroft is National Park, Elephant Butte is State, I was told by a friend who fishes, that the state parks have the gates locked. If anyone knows someone who lives close and can verify that, it would be good to know.

They were open, but they had every other camp site roped off for social distancing. Showers were broken at silver CG, they said they were waiting for a part ???

They were open, but they had every other camp site roped off for social distancing. Showers were broken at silver CG, they said they were waiting for a part ???
Yet you can parade through Walmart or Home Depot with your entire tamily in tow! Real common sense
working here!

We had hoped that Elephant Butte SP would reopen June 1...
I wonder if this includes the dispersed camping up north on the lake shore? Lots of campgrounds popping up on google maps.

We had hoped that Elephant Butte SP would reopen June 1. I had a robo call yesterday from NM State Parks saying that the parks would not open until June 17. Back to the google search...

JT,

There is decent, what I believe to be, BLM land along Rio Grande in between T or C and Caballo reservoir. A Forest map would confirm if it is public. Look at dirt road on east side of river that goes south of town. I would not hesitate to tent camp there. The road has some fairly deep sand in some spots. Here is where you access. I would go south 4 or 5 miles down road where it greens up some. Another option.

Still trying to decide if I go with the adventure gear (heavy and can get hot) or more MX style with layering options (light and flexible)

Temps above 99 is an obvious answer, but there are going to be a lot of chilly mornings. Can't wait to get started :)

I’m layering. Merino wool t-shirt and double up on riding jerseys, then peel one off if you warm up. Also you can throw on your liner or raincoat to block wind.

I'm also trying to decide adventure vs MX, definitely don't want to take both. If I think about it from a hours per day spent in the cold vs hot, it screams MX, but I also HATE being cold. I guess what I'm trying to determine is if I can get away with my enduro jacket over my MX gear in the mornings and that be enough. Think it will be.

This is funny; JT and I have had the same duscussions. No one is a bigger cold weenie than me, but being too warm all day can wear ya out.

Gotta decide SOOOOOON!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back