• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best-Mex: New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used the Weather.com app on my phone and punched in several cities along our route. I can look a them all together throughout the day and get a snapshot of what the ranges might be next week. You have 4 more days to gather data.

That's what I've been doing too!

Finally finished test loading the new MoskoMoto Reckless 80 and it is none too large. Why is it the space required always grows to exceed the space available. Appears to be about 50 pounds of "stuff" and I am not even camping. Think I had better take some time to check the suspension sag.

Still no final answer on the type of gear I am going to ride with, I am going to take both the MX and Adventure gear and make the final decision on-site at the hotel tomorrow.

Wonder what I am forgetting...

Y'all have an awesome ride! Be safe (well, you know...) and take lots of pix along the journey. :rider:

I've made the executive decision to ride in my Adventure gear. It's SUPER heavy but vented and provides the widest range of protection from weather and terrain. I really wanted to ride in my MX gear but I've been around too many people who had offs that either resulted in an injury that could've been prevented, or were saved from an injury because of their gear.

I HATE being a grown-up.

For those still debating gear options, packing up, etc - we started an abbreviated version of the trip from Ruidoso NM this morning. It was 70 and gorgeous at sunup and we had a nice ride through the pine forests north of town. As we descended into the Valley of Fires area, it got hotter than heck. Our 100mile trek south toward T&C was dusty, sandy in sections, and a dry 114deg. There’s next to no shade along this section.

We had terrific Tex-Mex in T&C at Tony’s and after dinner the temps had dropped to 103. Nothing like salty chips & fresh salsa to replenish the body’s salts after a desert ride! We setup camp along the Rio Grande about a mile south of town and rinsed off the dust with a dip into the crisp river water. For anyone looking to camp, state parks in NM remain for day use only (no camping), so we found some public land with riverfront sites just south of the town. East of Hwy 187 where the river makes its first s-curve away from the highway.

Ten minutes later - around 8pm - we welcomed a rainbow, then a brief thunderstorm & breezes stiff enough to raise whitecaps on the water. Temps dropped with the storm, and we sat outside & watched an incredible lightning show. At 11:30pm, it’s still 82 degrees - even after the storms.

Dress & hydrate accordingly before you undertake this section from Ruidoso to T/C. And make sure to fill up in Carrizozo - it may well read FULL on the fuel gauge in that town despite having just completed 40mi of forest gravel/dirt roads, but it will be empty as you approach Truth or Consequences. Top up to a full tank at that final option before the southward scorcher to T/C.

Ride on.

Thanks for the timely input Reagan. Keep the info coming!

How many are you... You, Shai, Shai’s +1 and ?. Sorry we’ll miss seeing y’all.

After loading up, taking a short check-out ride & then weighing my load I‘ve concluded that my 1290 is FAR better for a week long camping trip than my 500! I’m on the 500 for this trip and not convinced that I want to be lugging that load 🤔

Dinner and Riders Meeting, tonight, 7 pm local time, K-Bob’s Steakhouse, Ruidoso

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riders,

Hotel management has asked us to park all trucks and trailers in front of the hotel, in the lower parking lot.

Somebody mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I wanted to confirm for others in case anyone else is planning on camping in T/C. There are some decent spots along the Rio Grande as you head south on 187. We had waterfront spots and this view at sunset. Entrance was a dirt road directly off the highway less than a mile from the AllSup’s convenience store in Williamsburg.
abfb69e2bb80e38bf3d857dfe5b06a3e.jpg

Dinner tonight at 6 PM inside the Adobe Café. Breakfast tomorrow 7AM - 8 AM inside the Adobe Café.

Riders,

The map shows two gas stops for tomorrow. The southern one is in Luna, New Mexico and the northern one is in Pinehill, New Mexico. I found out today from a local that the gas pump in Luna, New Mexico is closed permanently. I’m guessing it’s 175 miles to the Pinehill gas station. If you don’t have a 175 mile range then our local resource suggested detouring to Quemado, New Mexico and filling up there.

Trail Boss- How many riders approximately are with you? Tracking along with you on your adventure while I sit at home recovering.... :thumb: Please do provide some photos and or stories as time allows.

Hope y’all have a safe trip. Y’all are up for an amazing ride I sure loved the NMBDR I wish in souls have done it again. But I’ll be starting Utah on Tuesday.

I haven't watched the whole video, but it is the only one that I have been able to upload from the hotel It is a strange rear view off the 1090 rear fender of a part of Chloride Canyon. We had stopped to check on the flying Frenchmen :)

Ooh heck yeah! That's some righteous movin and groovin. Heard that rottweiler growl a bit and the shock working out on couple jumps. Killing me dude!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back