• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best-Mex: New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Tuesday night (9jun), folks may want to consider visiting and possibly staying at this place. Pretty unique sounding; an old lava tube, the geology of which creates a cave where the temperature never rises above 31F, rain and snow melt freeze on the floor and icicles hang from the ceiling. You can also hike to the rim of the volcano crater.

I talked with Mary at the Ice Cave today. I gave her our group name (Two Wheeled Texans) and told her folks might be calling to make reservations.

Tent sites are $15. There are 2 cabins. One has a queen size bed, $40. The other has a queen and a futon and rents for $50. Neither has indoor plumbing. There is a "wash house" with one toilet, a sink and a shower. Be aware; the hot water heater is "not hooked up" but she said the tap water is "warmish".

There is a museum and gift shop but no restaurant. Ancient Way Cafe is nearby, but is currently closed. I called, but just got a recording. I'm hoping they might be willing to open up to feed a group. I'll try contacting them again. Ancient Way also rents a couple of cabins. They also have tent sites, but no tent camping during the Rona.

JUST 18 DAYS TO DEPARTURE, FOLKS!

For Tuesday night (9jun), folks may want to consider visiting and possibly staying at this place. Pretty unique sounding; an old lava tube, the geology of which creates a cave where the temperature never rises above 31F, rain and snow melt freeze on the floor and icicles hang from the ceiling. You can also hike to the rim of the volcano crater.

I talked with Mary at the Ice Cave today. I gave her our group name (Two Wheeled Texans) and told her folks might be calling to make reservations.

Tent sites are $15. There are 2 cabins. One has a queen size bed, $40. The other has a queen and a futon and rents for $50. Neither has indoor plumbing. There is a "wash house" with one toilet, a sink and a shower. Be aware; the hot water heater is "not hooked up" but she said the tap water is "warmish".

There is a museum and gift shop but no restaurant. Ancient Way Cafe is nearby, but is currently closed. I called, but just got a recording. I'm hoping they might be willing to open up to feed a group. I'll try contacting them again. Ancient Way also rents a couple of cabins. They also have tent sites, but no tent camping during the Rona.

JUST 18 DAYS TO DEPARTURE, FOLKS!
keep us posted if you find out anything about food. would be a very nice place to camp if we can eat somewhere close and don't have to go into Grants

Am I reading this right, that there can be no fire even on a stove. so if we are camping we will eat at a restaurant or cold.
No, one of the last lines on the page under exemptions reads:

"Federal, state and local officers, members of an organized rescue team or firefighting force, and any others authorized by permit are exempt from the closure order.

Other exemptions include:
Stoves and lanterns fueled by propane or other liquefied petroleum fuels that meet manufacturer’s safety specifications and have on/off switches."

But, no campfires. :-(

Is anybody riding from Houston or San Antonio instead of trailering to NM? I’m going to start from Flatonia (halfway between Houston and San Antonio) on Thursday and start the NMBDR on Friday in Dell City. Camp in Weed, NM on Friday night and arrive in Ruidoso on Saturday. Anybody interested?

So I was adding camping options to the tracks. Every forest service campsite and state park website says the campgrounds are closed. Some have reference to a legal decree that is somewhat vague including listing of potential fines. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd728296.pdf It seems to be in effect till June 30. It is a little discouraging to me. Because of this I am still dragging my feet on a firm commitment to go. I know, just don't camp. Just sharing so we are informed and possibly have alternate plans.

So I was adding camping options to the tracks. Every forest service campsite and state park website says the campgrounds are closed. Some have reference to a legal decree that is somewhat vague including listing of potential fines. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd728296.pdf It seems to be in effect till June 30. It is a little discouraging to me. Because of this I am still dragging my feet on a firm commitment to go. I know, just don't camp. Just sharing so we are informed and possibly have alternate plans.
they are gonna have to fine us! just amazing to me that you can parade all day through Walmart or Home Depot with all the kids in tow but you can't practice social distancing by camping alone in the FREAKING FOREST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are gonna have to fine us! just amazing to me that you can parade all day through Walmart or Home Depot with all the kids in tow but you can't practice social distancing by camping alone in the FREAKING FOREST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I got to say is the panic is fake, wake up everyone.

Two questions:

1) Is anybody planning to continue north on the NMBDR into Colorado?
2) Does anybody know of a route (off highway) that would connect the end of the NMBDR (Antonito, CO) on to the TAT headed north?

Thanks,

Bill

Two questions:

1) Is anybody planning to continue north on the NMBDR into Colorado?
2) Does anybody know of a route (off highway) that would connect the end of the NMBDR (Antonito, CO) on to the TAT headed north?

Thanks,

Bill
i wish the loop we are doing was more north and less south. more challenging the closer you get to Colorado!

bob and chuck.jpg

Me and Chuck Blair in Mexico.

That's my 2013 KTM 500exc that Chuck found a short in the headlight wiring and fixed on the fly. In two weeks that bike will be in New Mexico (again, last time on Richard's CDR ride), and just know that Chuck rides with me every ride in spirit.

I wouldn't be surprised by anything the New Mexico gov. decides to do about this virus. Its irrational. I understand they closed the biggest lake in the state (Elephant Butte) this weekend because they didn't want El Pasoans (yes El Pasoans are Texans too) to visit. Texans keep that state from bankruptcy.

Have fun and post pics.

PSA for you wild and Wooley nm Bdr travelers....

When ever I go on a long trip, like my upcoming Idaho BDR, I always buy travel insurance.

I use world nomads. Here is my 2 week quote for Idaho in June

eee052d21eb71961d802534301b6bf2b.jpg

It covers

48942288f598ee3ce1d95ad5eddb26b1.jpg

Plus $1000 toward damaged or stolen gear.

It is recommended by Jesus

e02e3941fe9978b465ee85e21f3c4691.jpg

Hey there Kevin. Another possibly cheaper option if you have an InReach is Search & Rescue (starts at ~$20-25/yr) &/or MediVac (starts at ~$175-200/yr) coverage.

Here’s a link to their options:

Cheers - Curtis

I agree I always use travel insurance. I use AIG Travel guard for me and my father it is about $78 for a 1&1/2 week trip for the 2 of us. You have to call to get it set up correctly. If you do it online you end up paying for a lot you don’t need in a travel policy. I do have a inReach and should look at that.

d71c9efdede1ec7d6c403984a2848897.jpg

31a0a383f471728c3251ac4e66aee027.jpg

26bc9ffb91ec1f131796b52ba9d6acc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back