• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beta Demo Day Houston area

I wasn't thinking as a highway bike or AT or big bike replacement. Was asking because you mentioned how smooth it was. The reason I bought the ktm 625 was to have a lighter bike that I could load on my truck, so I don't have to ride across Houston to meet up for the gravel rides. So it will do for awhile, but still looking for something in the vein of a 690/701. Probably will just get one of those eventually.

For hauling to the usual adventure rides, it's recommend something like a DR650, 690, or 701. I really wouldn't suggest an Enduro bike, though many might. I wouldn't want to sit on one for 6+ hours in a day.

Honestly, though I was initially against them due to the experience I had with my '04 Vstrom 1000, I'm pretty solidly in favor of modern adventure bikes. They're comfortable to ride all day, will do freeways easily and in reasonable comfort, and, if you buy the right ones, are very capable on dirt and gravel roads. Really more than that, but that's where I feel they're at home. Africa Twin, Tenere 700, 790, 890, 950, 990, 1090, Tiger 800, Tiger 900, 800GS, 850GS. Really any of them with a 21" front tire and appropriate suspension and geometry. Preferably not too horribly heavy either.

If you're hauling it the woods, I'd 390 over 690 all day.

For riding in the woods, I'd agree completely. He's talking about our usual CR and FM road adventure rides.

For hauling to the usual adventure rides, it's recommend something like a DR650, 690, or 701. I really wouldn't suggest an Enduro bike, though many might. I wouldn't want to sit on one for 6+ hours in a day.

Honestly, though I was initially against them due to the experience I had with my '04 Vstrom 1000, I'm pretty solidly in favor of modern adventure bikes. They're comfortable to ride all day, will do freeways easily and in reasonable comfort, and, if you buy the right ones, are very capable on dirt and gravel roads. Really more than that, but that's where I feel they're at home. Africa Twin, Tenere 700, 790, 890, 950, 990, 1090, Tiger 800, Tiger 900, 800GS, 850GS. Really any of them with a 21" front tire and appropriate suspension and geometry. Preferably not too horribly heavy either.

For riding in the woods, I'd agree completely. He's talking about our usual CR and FM road adventure rides.
I agree with your points for sure. The 1190 was great for our rides and really way more machine than I need. However, I hate riding 1.5 hours just to meet up with everyone. Then I have that same 1.5 to get home. When I'm on the cruiser it's a different kinda ride and I stop frequently. So to me a good compromise was haul with pickup to the meet up point. Katy, Sealy, Magnolia etc....Need something 400lbs or less...I'm hoping for ktm 490 or maybe someone else will make a mini adv....Mini AT would be cool...

Back