• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond Epic 3 motorcycle ride and rally - Sep 4-6, 2010 Clarksville, AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Beyond EPIC 3
Motorcycle Ride & Rally
September 4 - 6, 2010 (Labor Day Weekend)

Twisty Adventure in the mountains of Northwest Arkansas​

A Labor Day weekend rally open to all riders. Not dual sport specific.

Download the registration form here

Beyond epic?
A few years back I was perusing a motorcycle magazine when I came across a ride report about central Texas. The guy who wrote the story had flown into Austin, rented a Harley, and he and his son who lived in Austin and owned a cruiser headed 20 miles west of Austin to Mansfield Dam. Upon reaching Mansfield Dam and snapping a few pictures, the writer declared their ride to be "already epic".

Wow! Already epic after just 20 miles of urban, paved, road riding? I didn't realize how little it takes for a ride to reach epic proportions.

If 20 miles of urban highway riding is epic, then a multi-day Ozark Mountain rally surely qualifies as Beyond EPIC!

So, load up the bike and let's hit the road. I can't promise a magazine will write an article about our tour but we're going to have an adventure they would surely call Beyond EPIC.

The Plan: Meet up on Saturday morning, 8 a.m., Sep 4, 2010, in the parking lot of the Day's Inn, Clarksville, AR. Ride all day Saturday and Sunday. Head home on Monday.

Ride HQ: Day's Inn
Interstate 40, exit 55
Clarksville, AR
479-754-8555

Riders Meeting: Saturday and Sunday mornings, 8 a.m., Day's Inn parking lot

Sleeping: The Day's Inn is where we will meet each morning for the riders meeting. There are lots of other hotel choices in Clarksville in case the Day's Inn is full.

What should you ride? Your street legal motorcycle. The paved roads in the area are to die for. The dual sport riding is also reported to be excellent. So, whether your ride paved, non-paved, or both, this rally is for you.

Where should you ride? Anywhere you want. There are more twisty paved roads in northwest Arkansas than you can ride in a month. The paved road riding here is so good riders come from all over just to ride the area. Grab a map and have a look for yourself - twisty roads are everywhere. And dual sport bikes excel on these kinds of roads. This area is also home of a national forest with hundreds of miles of dirt roads. Many, many dual sport riders love the riding here. The forest service sells a great map of the forest service roads so if you are planning on riding dirt you might contact them and order a map in advance.

Download the registration form here

Registration is just $20 and includes a commemorative t-shirt.

If you are going to attend please do me the courtesy of registering.

All t-shirts will be delivered at the event and you must attend in order to receive a t-shirt.

Registration ends Monday, Aug 23, 2010. Registrations must be postmarked on or before Aug 23rd to ensure sufficient time to receive and process your registration and add your t-shirt to the order. Registrations postmarked after Aug 23rd won’t get a t-shirt. There may be a few extra t-shirts available for pur-chase at the event but no guarantees are made.

Public List of Attendees:
Woodbutcher
Subcomm
Izz
Robert Krull
Carla Cay Krull
Big A
MChappy
Norbx40
Rick M
ajvanderlee
Mati
outlaw guy
ol buddy
cdc
Red Brown
Baja Boo

Last edited:
Re: Beyond Epic 3 motorcycle ride and rally - Sep 4-10, 2010 Clarksville, AR

Count me in!

Beating Jerry "in" for a change!

Which bike to take? So many decisions.........

Who are you people and are you reliable?

I am in , I need another Arkansas ride .

Yeah, it had me scared a little there. I was only planning on a weekend, not 6 days.:lol2:

Serious question:

R1200 for the twistie roads?
KLR for the trails?

Haul both bikes on a trailer and do both?

Need to get a sense of who is doing what from the collective

If I take the BMW I could easily just ride up there. I also have no problem trailering either.

I'm torn with the same decision. I'm leaning towards more pavement right now. Since I'm planning on not using any vacation, I'm looking at a late arrival Friday night. That will me trailering/trucking whichever bike I take.

Rusty here is an option: I trailer up to your place and we haul the BMWs and do a two day road exploration of NW Arkansas...my truck/split gas

Rusty here is an option: I trailer up to your place and we haul the BMWs and do a two day road exploration of NW Arkansas...my truck/split gas

Works for me. Hopefully I don't slow you down much on the pavement. Plus, I have to haul the t-shirts.

Here is another option :
Pick up Rusty in Austin
Pick up Rick M and Big A in Belton
Take Rick M and Big A to Colorado with your truck and your gas
Take Rusty to Arkansas
Turn around and come back to Colorado and pick Rick M and Big A up in time for us to be back to work because we dont want to be late . If you have to drive all night we dont mind as long as we can sleep ...
Thanks Rick M :rofl:

mmm, Colorado. Only 3 more weeks to go before I head out. Wait, it's only two weeks and a day :clap:

Ditto on the 2 bike trailering.
I will use the f 650 for the amazing trip on hwy 16 over to Clinton. Then pick up 9 for the trip to Mountain View and the Fifty Six area in order
to stop at the best camp ground /rec area in Arkansas (Blanchard Springs Caverns ) to spread the remains of a loved one as promised. Have to make a water crossing to get to this campground. Some spectacular riding around the area, both on and off road.
A nice 200 mile loop from Clarksville.

WR for the off road stuff the next day or two, or 3.........

What percentage of the trip will be paved versus dirt? Thanks for organizing this. Mike

It will be what ever you want. Some folks will be looking for as much dirt as possible and others just looking for twisty pavement. Others in between. Unlike the other Texas Adventure company rides where there is a separate Ride Guide with defined routes available for purchase, this one will be done more with some potential roads to explore and we will try to get like minded and similar skill riders together in small groups (3-5). Experience has shown us that mother nature likes to mess with any fixed routes for Arkansas. Too many rivers rise or trees fall or bridges wash out. So we keep this as a low registration fee, not much more than the cost of the shirt and we all try to have fun.

We'll compare notes after the first day of riding and see what people found that was rideable and what wasn't. That will help plan the second day of riding.

I may have missed this Richard so forgive me if I did.

FYI, I called the Days Inn to check rooms. I was given a room rate of $64 for 2 queen beds. While talking to the lady she told me that if "We" get 4 rooms or more then it is $46 a night. I told here that it was a group of riders from Texas and she told me that there was a group offer for "Us". I reserved two rooms for $46 a night. I think a single was $42 a night.

Just thought I would pass it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back