• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond Epic 3 motorcycle ride and rally - Sep 4-6, 2010 Clarksville, AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mati - Mati, that is good news. On a side note I had plans to be in Southlake today, but because of this ride, I decided to cancel the visit.
I am looking forward to meeting you as I admire your panoramic pictures!
Camilo Di.

Mati - Mati, that is good news. On a side note I had plans to be in Southlake today, but because of this ride, I decided to cancel the visit.
I am looking forward to meeting you as I admire your panoramic pictures!
Camilo Di.

Thanks Camilo. bring your camera along and some patience I'll teach you how to get those panoramas. not as hard as one might think.

So is everyone here planning on riding the trails? If so, how hard are the trails/forest roads? I have a KLR with 80% pavement/20% dirt tires while it sounds like everyone else is trailering up MX bikes...

Anyone doing pavement only or easy gravel roads?

Dahveed, I am riding easier stuff more than likely- '09 KLR with Dunlop 606's. I'm in Burleson.

I am a 100% pavement.
Allergic and scared of gravel :eek2:

CDC- I would be too if I rode an FJR! That's my dream bike-that's why I bought a KLR for the dirt. i have a Roadstar that I would like to sell to get an FJR or ST.

I've heard good things a plenty about the FJRs.

Ok, its good hearing from the non-4x4 trail guys. I've got a set of D606's in the garage I purchased for a Big Bend trip that got canceled. I was thinking of spooning them on for this trip, but I talked with someone else who was telling me about all the great paved roads up that way. So I think I'll just keep the bike as it and plan on staying on the paved or easier gravel roads - not that a KLR would ever be able to keep up with an FJR. Well, not at least with me piloting it.

I'll be doing pavement only on the GSA, but there will be plenty of folks doing the DS stuff and searching out the dirt. I'm sure you'll find that some only want to do light dirt while others are looking for knarly mud, rocks and stream crossings.

FJRs, STs or Concourse (sp) are great bikes and depending on the year, one may be better than the others, there's a long thread here about FJR vs Concourse, but in my case, I really like my bike.

Are there any maps you would suggest getting ? where can I get them from? Just in case non of the off-roaders don't have a GPS..

For pavement only, any road map will be a good resource. That plus the pamphlet Rusty linked to will direct you to some amazingly great twisties. Those that haven't ridden the pavement in northwest Arkansas are in for a wonderful treat - the twisties there are unlike anything in Texas (yes, even the famed 3 Twisted Sisters in the Texas hill country). In short, the pavement riding in Arkansas is worth the trip all by itself, even for the dual sport crowd.

For the dual sport crowd I recommend the "Ozark National Forest Arkansas" map printed by the National Forest Service. You can buy them at any of the forest service district offices in Arkansas (I got mine from the Pleasant Hill Ranger District office in Clarksville) or you can order them via mail from the forest service, or you can download them in .pdf format from the forest service web site.

I mounted my 606's this afternoon so I guess she is ready to go.

If anyone in the South Ft.Worth area needs to pair up and share gas expense, I have a trailer and tow vehicle and will leave early Friday morning.I'll be taking my KLR and have room for another one. I'm staying at the Days Inn in Clarksville.

Well I just found out that my bro in law can't make the trip. We were gonna leave Elgin Thursday and ride up to Sulphur Springs, spend the night with his mother in law, ride Friday from Sulphur Springs to Clarksville and then repeat the procedure on Mon/Tues unless we felt like being real men and riding straight back on Monday. :eek2: Anyone trailering up from Austin/Elgin area with room for a klr 650 and rider? I'm also considering just driving my truck and trailering up my klr and my son's xt 225. It would be great father and son time, but more expensive than sharing ride with someone, plus we would have to put new tires on his bike before Friday.(translate more money) Just thought I'd throw this out and see.

My plans have been changed also- I won't be making the trip to Arkansas after all.

Btw, I met some of ya'll at the Elgin Pie Run. Rode w/Justin, John, Dirt Bike Dave, Jerry (my bro n law) and my son Daly from Elgin to Bastrop and down a bunch of gravel roads eating dust from Justin and John until they left us. Then we made it back to City Cafe for lunch. It was a great time! Ya'll seem like a versatile bunch. :sun:

It's kinda late in the game....but looks like my weekend plans finally jelled. I'll be leaving either late Friday eve to ride halfway up...then Sat morn to get there around lunchtime,or just leave Sat morn early to get there mid afternoon. I don't expect a T shirt since I didn't register... (I've got a ton o tie-dye shirts anyway) Due to family circumstances,I was unsure of even making a trip this weekend. I've got a room lined up with another TWT rider already coming. Looks like it's gonna be an event.

Mr2mch,

Glad you will be able to attend. If you will check in with Rusty when you arrive he will get your registered. Have a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back