• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond EPIC 4: Sep 2-5, 2011, The Ozarks

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
The 4th annual Beyond EPIC rally is Labor Day weekend, Friday - Monday, Sep 2-5, 2011 in Clarksville, AR.

Registration is now open

The Beyond EPIC rally is open to all.

The Ozarks: The riding in the Ozarks of northwest Arkansas is superb. The area is home to about a dozen designated scenic highways and byways, making it a prime destination for riders from all over. It's certainly the best pavement riding between the Smokies and the Rockies. A trip here just to ride pavement is a great trip indeed.

The pavement boys aren't the only ones having fun though; the dual sport riding in the area is very good too. The Ozark National Forest has over 1000 miles of unpaved forest service roads just waiting for you to explore. New dual sport routes have been scouted out for this year's event so the dual sport crowd will have multiple, proven routes to choose from.

The Plan: The rally is based in Clarksville, AR. Clarksville is located on the southern edge of the Ozark Mountains and has plenty of hotels, restaurants, and other services.

Check in on Friday evening, 5pm - 7 pm Sep 2, 2011, in the parking lot of the Day's Inn, Clarksville, AR. Ride all day Saturday and Sunday. Party at the Crossroads Sports Bar on Sunday night. Head home on Monday.

Ride HQ: Day's Inn
2600 W Main Street
(exit 55 from Interstate 40)
Clarksville, AR
479-754-8555

Riders Meeting: Saturday and Sunday mornings, 8 a.m., Day's Inn parking lot

Sleeping: The Day's Inn is ride headquarters and is also where we will meet each morning for the riders meeting. It's a big property and should accomodate most or all of the group. There are lots of other hotel choices in Clarksville in case the Day's Inn is full.

What should you ride? Your street legal motorcycle. The paved roads in the area are to die for. The dual sport riding is also excellent. So, whether your ride pavement, dirt, or both, this rally is for you.

An FYI for riders of the big adventure bikes (GS, Tiger, Strom, etc): The forest service dirt roads tend to be either class 1 or class 3. There is not much class 2 only riding. What this means is that most of the dirt roads in the area are very easy (i.e. kind of boring) or have more difficult sections(i.e. tough for the big adventure bikes). If you are planning on riding pavement only, your big adventure bike will be fine. If you want to get dirty just be aware that the more difficult sections of most non-class 1 forest service dirt roads can be a handfull on a big bike- not unrideable, just a bit tougher than, say, the roads in the Texas hill country or Big Bend National Park. For this reason I recommend 650 or smaller dual sport bikes for the dirt routes.

New for this year - Ozark Adventure ride guide: At past Beyond EPIC rallies riders have not had any real guidance as to where to ride, proven routes, or gps tracks to follow. I'm pleased to announce that I'm busy working on the first edition of the Ozark Adventure ride guide and will have it complete in time for the rally. This guide book will be similar to my other guide book and will include both pavement only and dual sport routes. Maps of the forest service roads are included with the guide, as are downloadable gpx files for all the routes. You can pre-order a guide with your registration. I will deliver the guides at registration. (If I get the guide completed early enough I will mail them in advance of the rally.)

Arriving early: I'm planning on trailering up on Thursday in order to get an extra day of riding on Friday. If two days of riding aren't enough for you, feel free to join me on Friday.

Last edited:
I'm in! :flip:

1236213489_A3niC-L.jpg

you have an extra F in .pdff in your link to registration Richard.

And i am tentavively in, pending finding a riding buddy or two to ride with.

Actually, that was my fault. The link incorrect and I missed a letter on my cut and paste when I "fixed" it.

In! This year I'm riding the wing over. Jerry, are you still planning on riding over? Maybe we can meeting up somewhere enroute.

Hopefully my rotator cuff would have all healed up by then, I hate getting old!!!

I think I will swing by for this one again. I sure had a fun time last year riding with Rusty and friends.

RB

if you'all will have me, I'm in. Wife just gave me permission (well, I took "If you want to leave me over a holiday weekend, go right ahead!" as permission.....)

BLue '98 Trophy 1200

Neil

CONFIRMED ROOM - wanna share??

Hi again, all.

I just confirmed my room reservation at the

Days Inn Clarksville
2600 West Main Street
Clarksville, AR 72830 US
Phone: 479-754-8555
Fax:479-754-2045

Arrive Thursday 1 September, depart Monday 5 September.

The reservation is cancellable / changeable. In case I end up leaving Thursday and staying somewhere else along the way, so as to arrive Friday (but not late).

Current intentions are to leave HOUSTON on THURSDAY AM, to arrive in Clarksville on Thursday.

Would love to ride with someone(s) from Houston, and even meet up with someone(s) along the way.

The part someone may care about:

I reserved a room with two (2) queen beds. Non-Smoking. I snore, but do keep clean, and don't have any intention of getting drunk and trashing the room.

1/2 the room will be $118 total.

Email me directly at nchristie(at)alum.rpi.edu - I do not often visit this site.

Stay safe,

Neil

PM'd you. Trailering. I've got to work a half day that Friday so it has to be the trailer because I'm not getting up early to work, then riding that many hours just to get there at midnight. Even thought the last part is interstate, that just doesn't appeal to me.

Back