• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond EPIC 4: Sep 2-5, 2011, The Ozarks

Richard, I got the maps and Ozark Adventure guide today- great job! Thanks.

Riders,

The owner of the Day's Inn called me tonight with a special request. His staff has mistakenly overbooked the non-smoking rooms by 1 and he is looking for a volunteer to move from a non-smoking room to a smoking room. He says he will clean the carpet, drapes, and bedspread prior to your arrival. If you have a reservation for a non-smoking room and are willing to volunteer to move to a smoking room please give the motel a call at 479-754-8555.

Hello, I'm a noob in these parts of the TWT forums. I have had several DS bikes in my riding career, but I haven't really ever done a group ride type of thing on them. I tend to do mostly long 80/20 touring and seek out every eye catching gravel road I can find, but typically solo.

I'm thinking about riding this event and I was wondering if anyone had any preference on camp sites (Sparda or Horsehead). I'm thinking of trucking it up to the camp grounds on Friday in time to get setup and then ride in for the Riders meeting.

What can I expect in way of group riding on the DS routes? Number of riders? Pace? Support? Really, just curious more than anything.

As a side note ( I attend a lot of street riding events in TN, NC and GA... Think Buelltoberfest. I often lead the moderate paced twisty bit routes. I have lead these rides on every bike in my stable, i.e. Goldwing, Uly and ST1300 with about 6-10 bikes in tow), but I have never done any group riding on the KLR off-road.

Typically with dual sport rides the riders gets pretty spread apart. The rule is that when you get to a turn you stop and wait for the bike behind you. Just find the other KLR guys and go with them and I'm sure your pace will be fine.

What can I expect in way of group riding on the DS routes? Number of riders? Pace? Support? Really, just curious more than anything.

Riders will naturally divide up into small groups of 4-10 riders per group. Groups are usually based on rider skills (equally skilled riders on similar bikes riding together) and the route the group wants to run (guys group up to do ride 1 together, others group up to do route 2 together, etc).

Pace for most groups is moderate, though the young guys and the skilled older guys, all on smaller dual sport bikes, will often form a "fast" group or two.

No formal "support" is provided, meaning no chase trucks or anything like that are planned. The groups do a great job of taking care of each other, though.

Thanks TypeSH and Trailboss,
It looks like I will be going it alone as my two ridding partners can't make it. I will shoot the registration to the paypal addy and throw enough in for a Guide to boot.

Keep an eye out for this bike wandering aimlessly through town looking for the group...:rider:

DSC4895-X2.jpg

Richard,

Recieved my trail guide. Great Job! I can imagine how much work it took. Worth twice the price!

Thanks so much!
Don

Riders,

The owner of the Day's Inn called me tonight with a special request. His staff has mistakenly overbooked the non-smoking rooms by 1 and he is looking for a volunteer to move from a non-smoking room to a smoking room. He says he will clean the carpet, drapes, and bedspread prior to your arrival. If you have a reservation for a non-smoking room and are willing to volunteer to move to a smoking room please give the motel a call at 479-754-8555.

I love to be a good sport but.....not a chance on this one.

Add two more to the ride! My dad and I will be going both on WR250r's.

Richard if I sent money via paypal, do I also need to send in the paper registration?

You guys riding or trailering? I'm riding my x up there from Arlington.

So you are going to ride a wr250x 350 miles up there? In one day?? In 100 degree weather??? If so you are a brave man :giveup:

Yes, I am going to do that. I'm hoping the farther north I go it will get cooler. Planning on leaving Thursday to get to ride all day on Friday, too.

You guys riding or trailering? I'm riding my x up there from Arlington.

We are trailering up along with another board member JGlow. We have room for 1 more if your interested. We are leaving from Mckinney area around 3pm on Thursday afternoon so we can ride on Friday.

I am leaving (trailering) Houston early Thursday taking the 'fastest route'; any one else doing the same and interested in driving together?

We are trailering up along with another board member JGlow. We have room for 1 more if your interested. We are leaving from Mckinney area around 3pm on Thursday afternoon so we can ride on Friday.

I really appreciate the offer and hope to see you there. I may kick myself later for saying this but I'm gonna ride the little beast. Planning on riding it to Colorado this fall and looking at this as a test to see what we are made of.

Richard the USPS 2-day letter will be there Thursday with registration/ride guide. Looking forward to it! Can you send me email when you get it with the link to the ride guide/gpx files? Thanks in advance....

:tab I can't leave until either Thursday evening or Friday morning. Not wild about the idea of riding the KLR so far on the knobbies. Anyone near Huntsville or passing through that would like to share a trailer? I can provide truck/trailer or share yours, whichever is easier.

:tab Need a roomie too as I goofed off an never booked a room because I wasn't sure I'd be able to go :doh: Non smoker.

Planning on riding off road and wondering about type of terrain. Am I fine with the distanzas or do I need the mt21s on. Wasn't sure if it's hardcore single track or easy to moderate trails. Can anyone comment?

Planning on riding off road and wondering about type of terrain. Am I fine with the distanzas or do I need the mt21s on. Wasn't sure if it's hardcore single track or easy to moderate trails. Can anyone comment?

The Ozarks have both.

You can ride single track in designated areas only. The forest service publishes a free guide to the off-road riding areas. You can download the guide from the forest service web site or you can get a free printed copy at one of the ranger stations. You can only ride off-road in the designated areas.

The forest service also maintains well over 1000 miles of dirt forest service roads. These roads range in difficulty from easy to very hard.

I believe most riders will be riding the dirt forest service roads but some riders have mentioned they are planning on riding the trails.

If you plan on riding the harder dirt roads or in the designated off-road areas I recommend knobbies front and rear. If you are going to stick to the easier dirt roads then your Distanzias will be okay though I suggest putting a knobby on your front tire.

Of course... if it rains... :wary:

And it is raining. From the forecast, I found they are expecting more Monday. But we need an update from Hood Ornament. I think there's going to be some great creek crossings. Hint: Bring Camera. Sam

Back