• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond Epic 5 - Ozark Rally, Aug 31 - Sep 3, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
322
Reaction score
1
Location
Arlington
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Langley
I plan to go rain or shine, I think weather will move through, Sat. and Sun might be nice, maybe little muddy. Arkansas is not rain forest, stay positive, let's ride.
I want out of the DFW area for few days. See you on trail with rain slicker.
B,:sun:
 

cdc

Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
3,211
Reaction score
108
Location
Katy, TX
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Diaz
I am hoping it will head NE and by Friday, there will be no rain...
:pray:
 
Joined
Jun 1, 2011
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Location
Bastrop
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Hugo
Keep us posted! I'm still undecided but I would really like to go!
 
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Messages
540
Reaction score
1
Location
Houston, Northeast
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Christie
ATTNTION ROAD RIDERS:

The Weather Experts are saying the center will be about over Little Rock at 8 AM on Friday. The storm is slowing a little. So, perhaps Arkansas is not a good place to go.

Anyone up for a road-ride group to the Hill Country? Which is better - NW, W, or SW of San Antonio? HOtel / Motel / Mom-and-pop to stay?

Or is it really too late to arrange, and I should just give up and - gasp - "work at home!" I hate to lose a kitchen pass..........

Neil
 
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
664
Reaction score
5
Location
NW Houston
First Name
Nadeem
Last Name
Azhar
A little rain won't hurt me, will wait and see what happens tomorrow. The plan is to ride the Wing from Houston.
 

WoodButcher

Admin
Joined
May 20, 2004
Messages
12,503
Reaction score
284
Location
Austin, TX
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
Myers
weather.com shows Clarksville as 50% rain on Thursday, 60% on Friday and 30% on Saturday right now.
 

cdc

Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
3,211
Reaction score
108
Location
Katy, TX
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Diaz
I'm optimistic...
We may ride south the first day, while the rain moves north (?)


From mobile
 
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
4,309
Reaction score
805
Location
Buda, TX
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Are we jumping the gun. The forecast is only 30% rain on Sat and sunny on Sun.

The challenge, as I see it, is 3-fold. First, we will be riding through through the hurricane to get to Clarksville. That by itself is of significant concern to me. Second we will have rain for half the rally (Fri and Sat), which can put a serious damper on things (most riders prefer not to ride through extended periods of rain). Third, if AR gets significant rain or if the wind is still 30-40 mph when the storm arrives then it is quite possible that many of the routes in the national forest will be impassable due to high water, mud, and downed trees.
 
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
3,787
Reaction score
0
Location
Dallas, TX
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Feagins
If you stay to the south side of the 'eye' or what ever is left of it, everyone should be fine. It may be rainy but its forecast to be a depression come 8 am Friday and out of the area Saturday. All you will have left are strangler cells and new ones that pop up. Wind should be manageable, mud however is a totally different animal. If I was able to go, from how things look, I would go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
169
Reaction score
19
Location
Parker (Plano)
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Donnell
Guess we could load up the play boats and go hit the Cossatot instead.

cossatot.jpg
 
Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
3,417
Reaction score
539
Location
East Texas
A bad/mixed weather ride in AR is much, much better than a three day holiday doing honey-dos at home. Period! Just the bench racing and trip to Oark will make it worthwhile. I;m sensing a bunch of water cooler city/office boys with "adv bikes" beginning to show their true colors. :-P
 
Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
3,417
Reaction score
539
Location
East Texas
A bad/mixed weather ride in AR is much, much better than a three day holiday doing honey-dos at home. Period! Just the bench racing and trip to Oark will make it worthwhile. I;m sensing a bunch of water cooler city/office boys with "adv bikes" beginning to show their true colors. :-P

But, my drive up will not be until Fri, so the weather that day could still cause me to tuck tail also. :giveup:
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
322
Reaction score
1
Location
Arlington
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Langley
A bad/mixed weather ride in AR is much, much better than a three day holiday doing honey-dos at home. Period! Just the bench racing and trip to Oark will make it worthwhile. I;m sensing a bunch of water cooler city/office boys with "adv bikes" beginning to show their true colors. :-P

I'm with you, Let's go, I'm going rain or shine.:mrgreen::-P
 
Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
3,417
Reaction score
539
Location
East Texas
This is the one that sorta has me cross eyed.

Isaac_rainfall.jpg

The duration of rain in the area is my concern. I am hoping the reports late thur will be more definitive. Thats my final decision time. It will have to be very negative to cause my cancel. Most of the forest roads are pretty rock based and shed water pretty well. Sure there could be some mud but thats why I use full knobbys. Just will have to speak with some locals for an accurate appraisal of the conditions.
 
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
4,309
Reaction score
805
Location
Buda, TX
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Rally Cancelled

Riders,

It is with regret that I am officially announcing that the rally is cancelled.

I've been tracking the hurricane for the past 2 days hoping it would change directions but no such luck - it has now made land and is headed up through Louisiana and Arkansas. As I wrote above it is for both safety and enjoyment reasons that I am cancelling the rally. Ultimately I think it is better to err on the side of caution than to continue with the rally.

I will mail rally t-shirts to any registered rider who wants theirs- just let me know and I will gladly get your shirt in the mail to you.
 
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Messages
714
Reaction score
27
Location
Round Rock
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Lyle
Well Richard, thanks for your hard work, and its very dissappointing for alot of people Im sure. I was really looking forward to being in the mountains with my son. It will happen sooner or later. I would like our shirts mailed to us, and I think we should pray for anyone in the path of Isaac.
 
Joined
Apr 25, 2007
Messages
1,471
Reaction score
2
Location
Sulphur Springs
Hey Richard, I was not going to be able to make the Rally this year anyway but want to give my condolences for having to cancel.
I know that you've put lots of money and work into getting this rally organized and to have to cancel is a real kick in the butt.

It will be better next time!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top