• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond Epic 5 - Ozark Rally, Aug 31 - Sep 3, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Beyond EPIC 5 – Ozark Motorcycle Rally

Twisty adventure in the Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas
August 31 – September 3, 2012 (Labor Day Weekend)

Registration is open: Download the registration form. Registration ends Wednesday, Aug 15th.

Beyond epic? A few years back I was perusing a motorcycle magazine when I came across a ride report about central Texas. The guy who wrote the story had flown into Austin to meet up with his son who lived there. The man rented a Harley and he and his son, who owned a cruiser, rode 20 miles west of Austin to Mansfield Dam. Upon reaching Mansfield Dam and snapping a few pictures, the writer declared their ride to be “already epic”. Wow! Already epic after just 20 miles of urban, paved, road riding? I didn’t realize how little it takes for a ride to reach epic proportions.

If 20 miles of urban highway riding is epic, then a four day rally in the Ozark Mountain of northwest Arkansas surely qualifies as Beyond EPIC! After all, it is hundreds of miles to get there from Texas and we will ride hundreds of miles during the rally. Hmmm, maybe even “Beyond EPIC” is an inadequate description. Well, no matter, that’s what we are calling it.

So, load up the bike and let’s hit the road for the 5th annual Beyond Epic rally in Clarksville, AR. I can’t promise a magazine will write an article about our rally but we’re going to have an adventure they would surely call Beyond EPIC.

The Plan: Check in on Friday evening, 5pm – 7 pm Aug 31, 2012 in the parking lot of the Day’s Inn, Clarksville, AR. Ride all day Saturday and Sunday. Head home on Monday.

If 2 full days of riding aren't enough for you, don't despair - it's not enough for a lot of us. Some riders (me included) arrive a day or two early in order to get in some extra riding. Feel free to join us.

Ride HQ: Day’s Inn
Interstate 40, exit 55
Clarksville, AR
479-754-8555

Riders Meeting:
Saturday and Sunday mornings, 8 a.m., Day’s Inn parking lot

Sleeping: The Day’s Inn is where we will meet each morning for the riders meeting. There are lots of other hotel choices in Clarksville in case the Day’s Inn is full.

What should you ride? Your street legal motorcycle. The paved roads in the area are to die for. The dual sport riding is also excellent. So, whether your ride paved, dirt, or both, this rally is for you.

Note - Most of the dirt roads in the national park require your vehicle to be street legal. However there is some stuff you can legally ride on your non-street legal dirt bike (or atv). If you don't have a street legal bike and want to attend the rally then there is some stuff for you to ride.

Where should you ride? Your decision. There are more twisty paved roads in northwest Arkansas than you can ride in a month. The paved road riding here is so good riders come from all over just to ride the area. Grab a map and have a look for yourself – twisty roads are everywhere. Or you can buy a copy of my Ozark Adventure ride guide. It includes multiple pavement only routes designed to direct you to some of the best riding in the area. And just in case you didn’t already know, dual sport bikes excel on these kinds of roads.

This area is also home of Ozark National Forest with at least a thousand miles of dirt roads just waiting to be explored. Many, many dual sport riders love the riding here, including me. The Ozark Adventure ride guide includes 7 proven dual sport routes, maps of the forest service roads, and GPX files of the routes available for download.

Note - the dirt roads in the Ozark National Forest tend to be better suited to dual sport bikes (650cc and smaller) than the big adventure bikes (like the GS800, 1200, Tiger, Strom, etc) due to the scarcity of class 2 roads. The dirt roads in the forest tend to be class 1 and class 3. If you have a big adventure bike you are very welcome to attend the rally, just be aware of the limited amount of good class 2 riding. On the other hand, your big adventure bike is custom made for the abundant paved riding in the Ozarks.

Is there an organized ride I can join each day? This is officially a motorcycle rally, not a ride. We all come to ride but the event does not include a daily organized ride/route that everyone follows. Instead, riders self-organize into small groups and then head out each day to ride whatever that group wants to ride. Finding a group to ride with is easy - just ask around. Also, at each morning's riders meeting we will help those who need a group to ride with to find a group to ride with.

Registration is open: Download the registration form

Registration ends Wednesday, Aug 15th. See you there.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm in. Now what bike to take? Dirt this time, I think.

I'm in!!
Trailering the DRZ400 and the 2012 Wee 650.... Should have room on the trailer for one more bike!
:rider:

I'm in. Gonna take the WR250R and KTM250XC up there on Thursday. Ride the R2 on the logging trails Friday and Saturday then take the KTM250XC to either Moccasin Gap or BrockCreek OHV on Sunday. Head back on Monday. 2 days of DS and 1 day of pure offroad is a great way to experience the Ozarks.

Planning on attending again - road bike (Blue Triumph Trophy). Riding from Houston.

Unless the Speed Triple ain't sold, in which case I'll bring that, in my truck.

Neil

I'm in and I know what bike to take . . .

Beyond EPIC 5 – Ozark Motorcycle Rally

Twisty adventure in the Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas
August 31 – September 3, 2012 (Labor Day Weekend)

Registration is open: Download the registration form. Registration ends Wednesday, Aug 15th.

Beyond epic? A few years back I was perusing a motorcycle magazine when I came across a ride report about central Texas. The guy who wrote the story had flown into Austin to meet up with his son who lived there. The man rented a Harley and he and his son, who owned a cruiser, rode 20 miles west of Austin to Mansfield Dam. Upon reaching Mansfield Dam and snapping a few pictures, the writer declared their ride to be “already epic”. Wow! Already epic after just 20 miles of urban, paved, road riding? I didn’t realize how little it takes for a ride to reach epic proportions.

If 20 miles of urban highway riding is epic, then a four day rally in the Ozark Mountain of northwest Arkansas surely qualifies as Beyond EPIC! After all, it is hundreds of miles to get there from Texas and we will ride hundreds of miles during the rally. Hmmm, maybe even “Beyond EPIC” is an inadequate description. Well, no matter, that’s what we are calling it.

So, load up the bike and let’s hit the road for the 5th annual Beyond Epic rally in Clarksville, AR. I can’t promise a magazine will write an article about our rally but we’re going to have an adventure they would surely call Beyond EPIC.

The Plan: Check in on Friday evening, 5pm – 7 pm Aug 31, 2012 in the parking lot of the Day’s Inn, Clarksville, AR. Ride all day Saturday and Sunday. Head home on Monday.

If 2 full days of riding aren't enough for you, don't despair - it's not enough for a lot of us. Some riders (me included) arrive a day or two early in order to get in some extra riding. Feel free to join us.

Ride HQ: Day’s Inn
Interstate 40, exit 55
Clarksville, AR
479-754-8555

Riders Meeting:
Saturday and Sunday mornings, 8 a.m., Day’s Inn parking lot

Sleeping: The Day’s Inn is where we will meet each morning for the riders meeting. There are lots of other hotel choices in Clarksville in case the Day’s Inn is full.

What should you ride? Your street legal motorcycle. The paved roads in the area are to die for. The dual sport riding is also excellent. So, whether your ride paved, dirt, or both, this rally is for you.

Note - Most of the dirt roads in the national park require your vehicle to be street legal. However there is some stuff you can legally ride on your non-street legal dirt bike (or atv). If you don't have a street legal bike and want to attend the rally then there is some stuff for you to ride.

Where should you ride? Your decision. There are more twisty paved roads in northwest Arkansas than you can ride in a month. The paved road riding here is so good riders come from all over just to ride the area. Grab a map and have a look for yourself – twisty roads are everywhere. Or you can buy a copy of my Ozark Adventure ride guide. It includes multiple pavement only routes designed to direct you to some of the best riding in the area. And just in case you didn’t already know, dual sport bikes excel on these kinds of roads.

This area is also home of Ozark National Forest with at least a thousand miles of dirt roads just waiting to be explored. Many, many dual sport riders love the riding here, including me. The Ozark Adventure ride guide includes 7 proven dual sport routes, maps of the forest service roads, and GPX files of the routes available for download.

Note - the dirt roads in the Ozark National Forest tend to be better suited to dual sport bikes (650cc and smaller) than the big adventure bikes (like the GS800, 1200, Tiger, Strom, etc) due to the scarcity of class 2 roads. The dirt roads in the forest tend to be class 1 and class 3. If you have a big adventure bike you are very welcome to attend the rally, just be aware of the limited amount of good class 2 riding. On the other hand, your big adventure bike is custom made for the abundant paved riding in the Ozarks.

Is there an organized ride I can join each day? This is officially a motorcycle rally, not a ride. We all come to ride but the event does not include a daily organized ride/route that everyone follows. Instead, riders self-organize into small groups and then head out each day to ride whatever that group wants to ride. Finding a group to ride with is easy - just ask around. Also, at each morning's riders meeting we will help those who need a group to ride with to find a group to ride with.

Registration is open: Download the registration form

Registration ends Wednesday, Aug 15th. See you there.

I'll be there!

I guess I was supposed to put the reply in here but then again I am also supposed to be asleep!

The KLR is looking forward to another mountain goat trail!

Hmmm, just after the Ouray trip. Health issues, pushing the luck with the wife. But, like they say, life is short! Just how hard do I push?

I'll be there! Is Tourmeister taking us for a tour again this year?

I would like to join in on the fun! I like to ride in and around Shady Lake area Ouachita National forest. I like to camp at Shady Lake to far Clarksville. I need to find camping area close,so I can meet up at the motel. I plan to go. If I find a trailer I will take DR if not I will ride f800 gs. I will print out the registration, fill out and mail in check with the registration.

In theory, it shouldn't matter. As long as you are legal in the state the bike is registered in, reciprocity should be in effect.

Anyone riding out to this from the DFW area? I'm looking for people to possibly meet up with, riding buddies can't make this one because they are already booked for the weekend, but I wanna go!:rider:

Road rider here, unless I get an Ural sourced before the ride and decide to take on the CDR during the holidays!

I don't know if I will have two bikes or just one. If two, then one day will be all pavement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back