• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond Epic 5 - Ozark Rally, Aug 31 - Sep 3, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for Labor Day weekend motorcycle trip on my ST1300. It has yet to go more than 50 miles from home. Anyone plan on a pavement only street ride on this trip?

I plan on spending oneday for sure doing nothing but a paved ride on my Roadstar. Im also going to break up one day into a dirt and paved ride and save saturday for dirt only through the forest on my Zuk...

I awoke to bad news concerning tropical storm Issac...suddenly its turning west and heading towards Arkansas....monitor it and keep us informed Richard as to the status of the Beyond Epic 5 Ride....

Personally im committed to going riding for a few days and if Beyond Epic has to be cancelled I will be looking for an alternative ride between friday and monday...even if I have to create one...maybe out west...Lincoln National forest around Ruidoso and Cloud croft?

Lets hope that Isaac turns back east and spares our ride time...even though I know the farmers inland need all the rain they can get...mississippi river too.

Looking for Labor Day weekend motorcycle trip on my ST1300. It has yet to go more than 50 miles from home. Anyone plan on a pavement only street ride on this trip?

I intend to ride my Trophy 1200 up from Houston on Thursday, ride around Fri-Sat-Sun, ride back Monday.

I have a room at the Days Inn - with two beds, and am open to splitting the cost.

ONE UNKNOWN: Weather. I really don't intend to go if Isaac is causing "rain events" of significance. Yea, I can ride in the rain - when I need to. But I'd prefer not to.

email me direct to communicate if you want: nchristie@alum.rpi.edu

Neil

What is the rider count?

I am considering scootering up with Rusty on Thursday.

RB

Latest computer models showing Isaac moving westward away from Florida and possibly heading up to Arkansas.

We shall see by the end of the week.

RB

Attachments

• isaac-track-ar..jpg
    isaac-track-ar..jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 264
BY the end of the week will be too late we will need a call one way or another by no later than wednesday in order to cancel and make new plans....IM hoping Beyond Epic 5 goes on as planned but must make alternative plans....

...we will need a call one way or another by no later than wednesday...

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I will make a weather call on Wednesday - the weather service is usually pretty good with their 3-4 day forecast.

Spadra Park

Description: Class A Park with flush toilets, showers, a trailer dump station, visitor protection, and 23 sites with water and electricity at each, and 5 tent sites. A picnicshelter is available for rent March 1 – October 31. It is scenically located on bluffs overlooking the Arkansas River. Many opportunities exists here for waterfowl viewing and fishing. For more information, contact the park Office (*manned from March 1 – October 31) 479-754-6438 or the Project Office.

Facilities: 29 total campsites, 24 campsites with electricity, 1 picnic shelter, 2 boat launching ramps.

Fees: Day use fee applies. Campsite fees range from $10 to $18. Picnic shelters at $50 daily, for rent March 1 – October 31.

Open: Year round I read that it was first come/ first served.

My Plan

I'm headed to AR a few days early and am planning on riding Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

My plan is to ride dirt on both Friday and Saturday. Sunday will be pavement-only. Anyone that wants to ride with me is welcome.

The dirt routes planned for Friday and Saturday consist of class 1 and moderate class 2. There may be some short sections of class 2+ or class 3, depending on the level of maintenance the forest service has done on our planned routes, but my intent is to keep the riding easy to moderate, not hard. I'm selecting routes that I've ridden in the past and found to be moderate.

There are several water crossings on both routes - water crossings are tough to avoid when riding the Ozarks - but as long as it hasn't rained a lot recently these crossings will be not excessively deep or difficult.

The dirt routes will be suitable for any rider of average skill riding a KLR or smaller bike. Big adventure bike riders are welcome to join in too, just be aware that some areas could be a little challenging on a big bike (but, hey, that's why we call it an adventure).

On Sunday I'm planning on riding some twisty pavement. I will likely combine the Little Dragon and the Moonshine Run in order to include as many twisties as possible.

For those who want to join me, meet in the Day's Inn parking lot each morning at 8:40 a.m. with a full tank of gas and ready to ride. Stands up at 9 a.m. Routes will be 3/4 to a full day in length, so plan on being back in Clarksville somewhere between 3 pm and 6 pm. If all goes according to plan we will be back in Clarksville 4-5 pm. If we have issues or delays we will get back later or, if needed, modify the route so we don't get back so late we don't have time for supper, adult beverages, and post ride stories.

I will try to plan a lunch stop each day (lunch is one of my three favorite meals) but make no guarantee, so bring water and snacks. For the dirt routes, you will need to be able to go 100 miles between fuel stops.

Dirt or pavement, bring your tools and gear so you can handle routine roadside repairs (in other words, a flat tire, loose bolt, broken tibia, etc...)

Last edited:
yep, you just might need a rain slicker, just think, no dust, don't forget paddle, might needed it for the water crossings?:shrug:

It looks like Issac is gonna be parked right over Clarksville on Friday morning so we are cancelling our room reservations and headed up to Durango to hook up with a few other TWT dualsporters and to attend some of the biker rallies.

Im so bummed about Missing the BEyond Epic Rally....

Let us know richard if there will be a rescheduled event...we would love to see Arkansas eventually...

Let us know richard if there will be a rescheduled event...we would love to see Arkansas eventually...

It's not looking good, fellows. I am still going to wait until Wed morning to make the call but at this point it appears the rally will be rained out for this year.

If we do get rained out, I will mail the rally t-shirts to everyone who registered and wants their t-shirt (I have already received the t-shirts for the rally from my t-shirt guy).

It looks like Issac is gonna be parked right over Clarksville on Friday morning so we are cancelling our room reservations and headed up to Durango to hook up with a few other TWT dualsporters and to attend some of the biker rallies.

Im so bummed about Missing the BEyond Epic Rally....

Whats going on in Durango?? Im not liking the rain chances.

If this is indeed rained out, anyone up for going to Cloudcroft? I'm just thinking here, but a dirt/dual sport and camping trip out west might be a good contingency plan.

I've got the time off and I've got to get out of town! ;-)

Still holding out hope for Arkansas...:zen:

A few TWT riders are meeting up in the Durango, Silverton, Ouray area for some alternative dualsporting since it looks as if the Beyond Epic ride is being rained out.

There are several large biker rallies going on and of course there are miles of offroad and dualsport routes....im going for both...and leaving San Antonio on Wednesday morn early...staying through sunday evening....

I game for riding with any TWT riders...street or trail...or both as IM trailering two bikes...

Call or text me to hook up or plan....I dont have any more room for a bike in my trailer but surely could carry some bags, luggage type stuff...

We will be stopping in El Paso wednesday evening, bustin north for Durango thursday morn, staying in Durango (the hotels are really full but I somehow got a room)...will be touring the four corners area all weekend....

Trace
210-392-7980

If this is indeed rained out, anyone up for going to Cloudcroft? I'm just thinking here, but a dirt/dual sport and camping trip out west might be a good contingency plan.

I've got the time off and I've got to get out of town! ;-)

Still holding out hope for Arkansas...:zen:

My son and I might be game for Ruiodoso/ Cloudcroft area but dont know anything about the offroading there. With barely legal bikes, Im not real keen on much onroad stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back