• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond Epic: Aug 28 - Sep 1 2014, The Ozarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
It's time for another Beyond EPIC rally

Labor Day weekend, Thursday, Aug 28 - Monday, Sep 1, 2014 in Clarksville, AR.

The Beyond EPIC rally is open to all.

There is no registration cost. Just show up and ride.

The Ozarks: The riding in the Ozarks of northwest Arkansas is superb. The area is home to about a dozen designated scenic highways and byways, making it a prime destination for riders from all over. It's certainly the best pavement riding between the Smokies and the Rockies. A trip here just to ride pavement is a great trip indeed.

The pavement boys aren't the only ones having fun though; the dual sport riding in the area is very good too. The Ozark National Forest has over 1000 miles of unpaved forest service roads just waiting for you to explore.

The Plan: The rally is based in Clarksville, AR. Clarksville is located on the southern edge of the Ozark Mountains and has plenty of hotels, restaurants, and other services.

Check in on Thursday. Ride all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Party at the Crossroads Sports Bar on Sunday night. Head home on Monday.

Ride HQ: Day's Inn
2600 W Main Street
(exit 55 from Interstate 40)
Clarksville, AR
479-754-8555

Sleeping: The Day's Inn is ride headquarters. It's a big property and should accommodate all of the group. There are lots of other hotel choices in Clarksville in case the Day's Inn is full. Our group rate at the Day's Inn is $50 per night for a single and $56 for a double if paying with debit/credit. Pay with cash and you will get an additional discount.

What should you ride? Your street legal motorcycle. The paved roads in the area are to die for. The dual sport riding is also excellent. So, whether you ride pavement, dirt, or both, this rally is for you. Your motorcycle will need to be street-legal to ride the paved roads (no surprise there). It will also need to be street-legal to ride most of the forest service roads. There are some designated areas in the national forest where you can ride your non-street legal dirt bike but you will have to trailer your bike to and from those designated areas and you are limited to riding those areas. If you want the freedom to ride any road or trail in the area, then your bike needs to be plated and legal.

An FYI for riders of the big adventure bikes (GS, Tiger, Strom, etc): The forest service dirt roads tend to be either class 1 or class 3. There is not much class 2only riding. What this means is that most of the dirt roads in the area are very easy (i.e. might be a little boring) or have more difficult sections(i.e. tough for the big adventure bikes). If you are planning on riding pavement only, your big adventure bike will be fine. If you want to get dirty just be aware that the more difficult sections of most non-class 1 forest service dirt roads can be a handfull on a big bike- not unrideable - just a bit tougher than, say, the roads in the Texas hill country or Big Bend National Park. For this reason I recommend 650 or smaller dual sport bikes for the dirt routes.

My Ozark Adventure ride guide is available if you need/want one. This guide book is similar to my other guide books and includes both pavement only and dual sport routes. Maps of the forest service roads are included with the guide, as are downloadable gpx files for all the routes. You can order a guide now and I will mail it to you before the rally.

Last edited:
Re: Beyond Epic: Aug 28 - Sep 1, The Ozarks

:ponder:

It has been a while since my last trip to that area and the riding IS fun!!

I'll have to play it by ear though as I have something else going on at that time that will be EATING all my time. But a "sanity" break might be in order :trust:

Yes, that is correct. No T-shirts or other goodies at this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son and I have been in the planning mode to ride that area. Maybe we should just join in. ?

I have put this on my calender to look at later. Sounds good though. Have to go see my buddy for some moonshine in that area anyway.

Shirt or no shirt, I am in. :clap:
I am starting the recruitment face....

Invite the ladies to the 'no shirt' ride.

Never attended one, but I will definitely join this one! Thanks for letting me know, CDC!!

Sounds very tempting. I'm off work on Fri/Sat/Sun only (can't use any more vacation time). I'll know better as we get closer to the event. I'd be streeting it if so, no dual sport.

I was planning on riding there in May....I might just wait for this!

NSA, this post is just for you!

In! I luv Arkysaw...

FP-210.jpg

Definitely interested. Starting a new job (again) at the beginning of May so not sure of the time off situation.

:drool: It could happen...

Sounds like a good time. Count me in. If there is anyone around the Abilene area that would want to meet up for the trip there just let me know and we can plan it out.

Im in on this one....

Always a pleasure to ride in Arkansas. I am in.

RB

explore_roads.jpg

Here's a pic from the Beyond Epic ride from 2011:

Regrettably, I did not get the names of these 3 gentleman.....their identities are likely lost to the ages now.... if anyone sees them, please let me know.

SAM_3760Large.jpg
"]
SAM_3760Large.jpg
[/URL]

Well, the guy on the left seems to be named Epic according to the nametag on his shirt. The on in the middle is Mo Toady (but the pic is blurry) and the guy on the right is Camel Bak. Easy once you read the name tags.

I'm planning on making it. Most likely bring a small bike and a big bike. I'm looking forward to it since I'm going to miss Mex!

....Easy once you read the name tags.

Yes. Name tags are good. They can be very helpful.

I know a guy who always reads name tags (I can't reveal his full identity, but his initials are RG).

He posted on that Great Oracle called Facebook, that at his work people put name tags on sandwiches in the refrigerator! He reads them all!

He recently ate at tuna sandwich named Peter!:eat:

He's trying to meet all the different sandwiches in the fridge at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back