• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bib mousse and tire recommendations

RollingJ

You can be a 0 or a
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Sims
I have a spare wheelset and I want to run bibs for my upcoming Big Bend trip this spring.

There are tons of options. What works best for you?

2006 KTM 450 XC 18/21

I have been wondering the same thing. I keep reading different stuff on the internet from "best choice ever" to "don't even think about it".

Life can get so complicated sometimes...

Michelin starcross 5 medium rear, soft front with michelin mousse is my go to set up for most Texas terrain. Good all around set up from deep sand to hidden falls.

I've found the michelin mousse to last longer than nitro.

I ran mousses all last year racing torcs. Went through two fronts(one michelin and one nitro) and three rear(two michelin and one nitro).

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

How do you know when a mousse needs replacement and typically how many tires can a mousse be used for?

I have a spare wheelset and I want to run bibs for my upcoming Big Bend trip this spring.

There are tons of options. What works best for you?

2006 KTM 450 XC 18/21
What is your intended pavement use? Typical distance and mph? Thinking spirited riding on FM170 up to Presidio? This can be the achilles heel for bibs, heat is their biggest degradation factor.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

How do you know when a mousse needs replacement and typically how many tires can a mousse be used for?
They get softer over time and will start to feel like a flat tube.

6 months is about the max recommended life. It depends on usage. Heat is the main enemy of them. With each heat cycle the foam beaks down more.

I usually get two rears per mousse. I'm not hard on front tires so I usually end up with a new mousse with every tire.

Since you have a spare wheelset, you have the ability to store them in the guest closet in climate control which will prolonge the life aswell. You want to keep them off the ground to avoid flat spots.

I would not expect to get a long life on the highway. Dakar and isde guys get a day out of a mousse.

What is your intended pavement use? Typical distance and mph? Thinking spirited riding on FM170 up to Presidio? This can be the achilles heel for bibs, heat is their biggest degradation factor.

I will run the bibs on the fast and dirty dessert days (and in the forest back home) and the tubes on pavement or dual sport.

If you want to have zero doubt that your ride will not end with a flat tire. Do it.

It costs me $200 to go racing after entries, fuel, food etc. Not going to let a flat end my weekend

Since I have you on the phone, Aspear...

What tire sizes for the bibs fit best?

Also, do I need to get a rabaconda style changer? I have changed a bunch of tires but never a mousse.

Since I have you on the phone, Aspear...

What tire sizes for the bibs fit best?

Also, do I need to get a rabaconda style changer? I have changed a bunch of tires but never a mousse.
If you plan to run them more than once I would spend the money for the rabaconda or an alternative version.

Bibs come in multiple sizes so be sure you order correctly for your tire of choice.

I currently have run 110/100 rear with a m14, 90/100 front with m16

e69e51d4a6cdbebaeedf8d9323d92df5.jpg

I have a Rabaconda, it is well worth the money even for standard tires, tube or tubeless. Used to hate the rear on the 1090, now its easier than the 21" front.

I will run the bibs on the fast and dirty dessert days (and in the forest back home) and the tubes on pavement or dual sport.
You should get good life then. Aspear has the firsthand experience here. I bought the new improved Neutech Progressive bibs. Supposed to be longer life and better feel. Havent installed them yet. Too cold and I am attempting without any stand or machine. If you try Neutech their size charts are very intense. So many variations by exact tire mfg, model and size.

Back