• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend at Christmas

Thanks for posting that. Lots of people make that road out to be the boogie man. It didn't look that bad at all.

Glad to know that a Tenere with the same amount of clearance as my 390 Adventure can make it through.

Thanks for posting that. Lots of people make that road out to be the boogie man. It didn't look that bad at all.

Glad to know that a Tenere with the same amount of clearance as my 390 Adventure can make it through.
Yeah, the 390 Adventure should do fine on Old Ore. Black Gap could be challenging at the drop/step-up (depending on direction).

We drove into the BBNP after breakfast yesterday. The roads had 6-8” of snow on them at the deepest. The basin road was closed. Once past Panther Junction the snow was less and almost was nothing by the time we passed the Glen Springs road. We continued to Old Ore and headed North to Earnst Tinaja. It was muddy with puddles. About a 1/2 mile before the Earnst turnoff we came across a group of vehicles that included a Prius. I was driving and didn’t get a photo.

It was muddy on the Earnst Tinaja road, but we made it. Nice hike and not crowded.

We might try the basin today. Or not. We’ll discuss it at breakfast this morning.

It’s important to note that we had 2 capable trucks and equipment to extract in case one of us got stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I’ve done it several times on my big GS. It’s not all that bad but there are a couple challenging spots though. My avitar is about mid ways. That vid was up on the north end flats which is a high speed dusty ride with slow downs across the arroyos.

It is just one of those roads that keeps your attention. That was Tim on the Tenere, he is also an excellent rider.

White stuff happens

1D63A8C0-8C73-4082-8FE7-A16458CBC450.jpeg

Reagularly

E0E002BD-7CC2-4EAE-86D0-9A1476375FC7.jpeg

66596CAB-9853-4DB7-8C5F-B79DACB5D50A.jpeg

Its a mater of picking a good line to avoid the bigger rocks. The old Tenere took few good licks to the bash plate. The vidio flattens out the landscape so you really dont see how big the step ups are or how deep sone of the ruts are. To me the most challenging with the big hippo was the soft sand. One of the guys in another group went down multiple times and another went down twice on old Ore so it is definatley not your average back road.
Thanks for posting the vidio Kevin. It was the highlight of my trip.

Just pulled mine out of the freezer. It’s not the DOM Rock but the intension remains the same.

Here’s to 2021, hope it’s better than the year before it.

F0BD18F9-F602-409D-972B-87115676E671.jpeg

I found river road west to be more challenging on a large bike. Crossing the center of the road was really loose so I’d take harder lines to avoid that. If you’re good a picking lines, hard roads can look easy. If not, the path you take can be pretty difficult.

Fond memories of old ore. I was cruising back from Rio grande village after separating from a docile group of riders. Really just enjoying the scenery and solitude. Out of nowhere comes three klr's ripping past from behind as close as possible. The one in front was an 07 black and silver just like the one I was riding. Kind of startled me way out there in the nothingness. Well friends...it was on. This was clearly for the honor of king and country. We were maybe a third of the way along the road. Didn't take too long to put the back couple of guys behind me but the guy in front was up on the pegs dancing that motorcycle like he meant it. Took me a while to get up on him. We would have dumped any green milk crates off the backs of those things way quick. We were having an outright blast. I was chewing the back fender off that thing for a good ways cause we were down in the rubble and passing can put dagger plants in places that'd be most unpleasant. He finally whipped that motorcycle off to the side so I could squirt by. Wasn't long till I found the intersection on the north end and wheeled off to wait on him. Didn't have to wait very long either. He came sliding up, jumped off that bike headed straight for me at a spirited stride. I thought I was fixing to take a solid cussing or worse. He gets within a few feet, rips off his helmet and throws his arm around my sholder. He was hootin about that being the most fun he'd had on his entire trip. Shook hands and told me that he and his two companions were traveling across the USA in a motorhome going from state to state riding dirt. The youngest of the three was 70 years old. They were all old friends from Tennessee. We all visited there for a good while before exchanging phone numbers and wishing each other well. That folks is what a very good day looks like in my simple life. Happy new year!

Can it do it, sure. Would some folks want to, that is still up for debate. 🤣

If you really wanted me to, I could get a goldwing down old ore. Heck, I just took a KLR that’s 21 years old down everywhere these modern bikes went, 2-up. I can also attest that old ore was probably the nicest I’ve seen it, and I can also tell you that the road going to top of the world was MUCH rougher than anything on old ore.

Again, can you take (insert motorcycle down Old Ore), heck yeah. Would you want to? That depends on the bike and what the rider is willing to do to it. Me, my Tenere got left at home because I would much rather have my larger tires, more suspension travel, and higher ground clearance.

That being said, I look forward to your ride report of riding your 390 out here.

Attachments

• 956F3124-5ACD-4091-A242-0E9D680ED6F6.jpeg
    956F3124-5ACD-4091-A242-0E9D680ED6F6.jpeg
    819.2 KB · Views: 158
Did you put stiffer springs on the KLR to handle 2 up? Seems 2 up with a little gear would be taxing the stock suspension! Excellent riding 2 up!!!!

Did you put stiffer springs on the KLR to handle 2 up? Seems 2 up with a little gear would be taxing the stock suspension! Excellent riding 2 up!!!!
Thank you for the compliment. I can tell you that is isn’t easy. When riding 2-up in the dirt, you can’t really stand up so line choice and straight up bike handling are super important.

The old gal has a Progressive rear shock, and straight rate fork springs, but that is it.

I am a big proponent of it is the Indian and not the arrow. I’ve seen a ton of great riders on big and heavy bikes ride stuff that I wouldn’t dare. And I’ve seen a bunch of not very talented guys on the latest and greatest bikes tear themselves and their bikes up out here.

But like I said before, I can personally take pretty much any bike you give me down these roads. Would I want to is a whole different story.

Cagiva...that second pic looks familiar. Is there a palapa directly behind you when taking that pic?

Yea , it’s Rancho Neglecto . I miss it but the last few time I went to the BB the turons had overrun the place , it ain’t my Big Bend anymore . I have to drive a little further to find my solitude these days . And I found a really good one too .

961E740B-3068-44D0-9427-8D2A8A4E9D73.jpeg

I took my 950 on every legal place in Big Bend you can ride and my second trip there 20 years ago was Ore road on my Cagiva , also rode Maverick that trip then Pinto canyon and up to New Mexico for lunch . That was two days of riding . One year we had 6 inches of snow at uncles , couldn’t even get in past the gate that day . Those pictures are somewhere else , that night was one of the most peaceful nights of rest I ever had in my trailer , something about the sound of the snow on my tin tent put me out like a light . That was back when I could still hear and it would take several bottles of Charro just for a couple weeks .

Can it do it, sure. Would some folks want to, that is still up for debate. 🤣

If you really wanted me to, I could get a goldwing down old ore.

As @DFW_Warrior said:
"But like I said before, I can personally take pretty much any bike you give me down these roads. Would I want to is a whole different story."

I like the right tool for the job theory!

Yeah, but... seems like the whole Adventure segment is kind of based around the concept of using the wrong tool for the job.

Thanks to the Long Way Round series, Bill Dragoo has a financially successful class to teach people how to take "big bikes into bad places" and call it adventure.

It seems like his class should be 30 seconds consisting of a speech that goes, "if you want to ride a bad place, the smart thing to do would be to get a 250cc dual sport bike. Class dismissed."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the compliment. I can tell you that is isn’t easy. When riding 2-up in the dirt, you can’t really stand up so line choice and straight up bike handling are super important.

The old gal has a Progressive rear shock, and straight rate fork springs, but that is it.

I am a big proponent of it is the Indian and not the arrow. I’ve seen a ton of great riders on big and heavy bikes ride stuff that I wouldn’t dare. And I’ve seen a bunch of not very talented guys on the latest and greatest bikes tear themselves and their bikes up out here.

But like I said before, I can personally take pretty much any bike you give me down these roads. Would I want to is a whole different story.
Agree. Definitely the Indian and not the arrow.

I could ride most bikes through but don't know if I could get a Goldwing through. Have a GL1800 and having ridden it off road a bit, I know how easy it is to bottom out. Maybe a GL1000....it's still a Goldwing. :)

Yea , it’s Rancho Neglecto . I miss it but the last few time I went to the BB the turons had overrun the place , it ain’t my Big Bend anymore . I have to drive a little further to find my solitude these days . And I found a really good one too .

View attachment 282997
Absolutely no kidding on the Big Bend area, and especially this year. I've stared out from that palapa in your other pic over the last few years with uncle and other regulars, having some beverages and good conversation. I've camped many times at that open spot near the road, but it's not as pleasant as it used to be with that "entertainment complex" that's popped up next door. Time marches on, but Terlingua, SB, and Lajitas have lost some of their charm and solitude for sure.

The backroad riding still gets you "that feeling" in the state park, TR, BGWMA, and even the NP, but the overall development of the area has exploded. Cagiva, where's the location in your pic? It looks familiar. And just curious...are those Wolfman Rolie's on your side covers?

Yeah, but... seems like the whole Adventure segment is kind of based around the concept of using the wrong tool for the job.

Thanks to the Long Way Round series, Bill Dragoo has a financially successful class to teach people how to take "big bikes into bad places" and call it adventure.

It seems like his class should be 30 seconds consisting of a speech that goes, "if you want to ride there, the smart thing to do would be to get a 250cc dual sport bike. Class dismissed."
If you are going to trailer or load in the back of the truck then yes. If you are going to ride the highway, dirt roads and camp then the big adventure bikes are absolutely the rite tool for the job and is exactly what they are made for and a lot better than a 250 or even 450 on the highway for 500 miles just to ride the dirt. My opinion.

If you are going to trailer or load in the back of the truck then yes. If you are going to ride the highway, dirt roads and camp then the big adventure bikes are absolutely the rite tool for the job and is exactly what they are made for and a lot better than a 250 or even 450 on the highway for 500 miles just to ride the dirt. My opinion.
Agree. The entire ADV segment is a compromise segment between street performance and dirt performance. They literally rate and sell tires for this segment based on the % you plan to ride one or the other.

The right tool is the one that allows you to ride the Adventure you choose.

If I was riding to Alaska from Texas, I'd rather be on a S10 than a 450 dirt bike. If I was riding 10 miles of pavement and 100 miles of dirt, I'd rather be on the 450.

Most Adventures are somewhere in between and we pick bikes that we can afford and that work for the best mix of our intended use.

Side note...I was always impressed with the 2007 GSA that was my first ADV bike. I took it on singletrack and trails that were definitely a bit more than it was designed to do and it did well. Not as well as a dirt bike or my dirt focused 790, but still pretty amazing. Point being, most all the Adventure bikes out there will do way more than one would guess from the spec sheet if there's a rider willing to take it there.

Unfortunately I have to agree. I say "unfortunately" because perfection is usually a highly focused pursuit. This is where that "unicorn" bike always comes into discussion when in reality everything's a compromise. Even the vaunted KTM690R has a few warts, but it and its Husky sibling(s) do a pretty decent job. I got rid of my pavement-only bikes in the mid-80's and have continually been in the DS ownership category since then with KLR's, XR's, and a current '06 KLX. The heavily modded KLX has actually achieved everything I want in an actual dirt-bike-like function while being fully street legal...after much suspension and engine work.

But you're right...it pretty much sucks for any pavement length. While I'm through traveling cross-country off a motorcycle, I wanted something more capable on the pavement for certain rides. Getting a Kawasaki Z650 this summer filled that void, and I will load it into the back of my medium sized toy hauler to do that kind of trip where the pavement calls. Plus, it's been more of a hoot for day rides from my home. I still love remote and primitive camping, but now I just do it out of the RV and save the motorcycle tires for more focused riding. Two types of bikes seems the only way to really capitalize on their strong points...as someone mentioned...the right tool for the job. And this in no way slams any of those who choose to hit up all kinds of riding off of one bike. People find challenges and satisfaction in different ways. Choices are good.

It seems like his class should be 30 seconds consisting of a speech that goes, "if you want to ride there, the smart thing to do would be to get a 250cc dual sport bike. Class dismissed."
While that's true and part of the fun. Unless your riding the 390 down there from Dallas, might as well trailer a more appropriate bike. Now if you ride the down, different story.

Back