• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend at Christmas

Probably 500 lbs max. Versahaul makes one that is rated for 600 lbs. I think anyway.

But aren't you heading out there with your kids? You'll need a trailer for your and their bikes. :deal:
They don’t ride unfortunately. Never got into it. They’re just coming for the camping and hiking. Will probably end up leaving the bike for this one. Next time!

They don’t ride unfortunately. Never got into it. They’re just coming for the camping and hiking. Will probably end up leaving the bike for this one. Next time!
I did the same this summer. Took my son to Colorado and thought about bringing a bike, but choose not too and it was the right decision. Focus on your kids and do things they all want to do (hiking, fishing, rafting, 4wd exploring). We'll see you there though. We'll meet for breakfast every morning at the Chili Pepper Cafe. Are you in the WhatsApp group? Do you want to be?

On this mention of deep, silty, sand...I go to BB frequently and ride from Presidio to the NP, and I don't really recall notable stretches of that kind of sand. Loose gravel, some minor sand...yes...but a 50-yard stretch of what I'd classify as Arabic level sand is about the most I can recall. Maybe I'm spoiled by real sand runs like you find in many southern Utah river beds, or the old Memphis Enduro...LOL! Of course, I'm not riding a 990 KTM through it, however. The Fresno Canyon/Creek trail in BBRSP probably has about the most loose sand and gravel mix for a fair distance, but it's also one of those places with wide open terrain where I can even get my KLX300 on top at a little speed.

Looks like I will come down for a few days. Anybody got a campsite with room for me to hang a hammock ?

On this mention of deep, silty, sand...I go to BB frequently and ride from Presidio to the NP, and I don't really recall notable stretches of that kind of sand. Loose gravel, some minor sand...yes...but a 50-yard stretch of what I'd classify as Arabic level sand is about the most I can recall. Maybe I'm spoiled by real sand runs like you find in many southern Utah river beds, or the old Memphis Enduro...LOL! Of course, I'm not riding a 990 KTM through it, however. The Fresno Canyon/Creek trail in BBRSP probably has about the most loose sand and gravel mix for a fair distance, but it's also one of those places with wide open terrain where I can even get my KLX300 on top at a little speed.
I'm kind of with you on this. I do remember some 100-150yd stretches of pretty epic pea gravel over on the East side of the ranch, but inside the park is usually pretty tame when it comes to that kind of stuff.

I know I started on the river road west and I didn't get far. The bike buried up in the silt, gravel, etc. My level of riding is lower than most. It was hot and I just turned around and went back.

I know I started on the river road west and I didn't get far. The bike buried up in the silt, gravel, etc. My level of riding is lower than most. It was hot and I just turned around and went back.
Paying attention to ones limits out there will always be to your benefit. :thumb:

Paying attention to ones limits out there will always be to your benefit. :thumb:
So much this! Dirt riding is so much dependent on the rider, much more so than pavement riding. I always have to ask someone when they ask me how hard something is off pavement, to remember that rider's experience level. That just isn't the case with pavement riding.

I would always rather have a rider tell me that we are getting in a little over their head and we need to turn back, instead of having to figure out a rescue plan to evac them out a few miles further down the trail.

I did the same this summer. Took my son to Colorado and thought about bringing a bike, but choose not too and it was the right decision. Focus on your kids and do things they all want to do (hiking, fishing, rafting, 4wd exploring). We'll see you there though. We'll meet for breakfast every morning at the Chili Pepper Cafe. Are you in the WhatsApp group? Do you want to be?
Great!! Looking forward to hopefully seeing you all there. Yes I’m on the WhatsApp already👍

Sand and myself don't get along. Rode along with Dahveed to top of the world and Old Ore, Pinto Canyon. I put myself on the lower end of skill level. Try to ride accordingly.

Somewhere I have a nice photo of me crashing as I powered my Yamaha IT 390? out of a river bottom at a Memphis enduro! Had some great times on the enduro circuit 40 years ago.

About 15 years ago I was clipping along on the west part of the BBNP River Road, first time I had ever ridden it and I was on my 950 Adventure. Went through some moderately sandy stuff, never slowed down really. Came up up two riders on DRZ 400s with their helmets, off, arms over the front of the bars, heads hanging and red-faces. I stopped to make sure they were ok and then told them that I heard their were some really bad sandy sections. They then proceeded to tell me that the section I just rode through was the worst. I have been through there many times since, even when that road was at it siltiest worst and that sand is moderate even at its sandiest.

Last edited:
There’s no doubt I’m probably overplaying it but that’s maybe that’s just because I went down when I hit it😂 In my mind it’s the only thing I think about when I think about that trail... Your absolutely right though it was probably not even 50 yds Enough to take me down though🙄

About 15 years ago I was clipping along on the west part of the BBNP River Road, first time I had ever ridden it and I was on my 950 Adventure. Went through some moderately sandy stuff, never slowed down really. Came up up two riders on DRZ 400s with their helmets, off, arms over the front of the bars, heads hanging and red-faces. I stopped to make sure they were ok and then told them that I heard their were some really bad sandy sections. They then proceeded to tell me that the section I just rode through was the worst. I have been through there many times since, even when that road was at it siltiest worst and that sand is moderate even at its sandiest.

Me on my DRZ. Lol

I used to do those roads all the time on my GS. I was younger and stupid then. Now I'm just stupid...

Sounds like you're talking about that section in the far west end not far from the pavement where you run for a little bit in the dry creek bed in a canyon. Rains over time build some sand that comes and goes...but there are always rocks there. It's one of the most scenic parts of the River Road IMO. I'm guessing it's a lot harder on a big bike. The one time I found it a bit challenging on River Road was after a big rain event. It was a mudfest.

Memphis Enduro...neat to see others who've enjoyed and suffered there...LOL! Talk about sand, it wasn't always the exact same route. On a tougher year they'd run you through quite a few miles of sand whoops. Now there was some sand. :mrgreen:

I'm not a fan of sand or loose deep pea gravel either. Perhaps the problem is I don't ride it enough to ever get ok in it. I see it now and I tense up. I used to be a little better at it. I rode the BBRSP years ago and got ok in it in those washes some of the "roads" there follow.

I wrecked in a gravely river bed January 2019 heading to bee cave canyon. I think I broke my toe then.

So much this! Dirt riding is so much dependent on the rider, much more so than pavement riding. I always have to ask someone when they ask me how hard something is off pavement, to remember that rider's experience level. That just isn't the case with pavement riding.

I would always rather have a rider tell me that we are getting in a little over their head and we need to turn back, instead of having to figure out a rescue plan to evac them out a few miles further down the trail.
Yes. Especially since the ambulance doesn't go off the pavement.

But the people I know who have wrecked out there weren't in over their heads. They're competent riders who made a mistake. I can think of 2 who were just fiddle-farting around on a gravel road and went down/off and broke a bone (one in Big Bend, another in CO).

You did fine riding with us on Old Ore and Top of the World.

Somebody told me the park service last year firmed up the sand sections of River Road West.

Back