• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend at Thanksgiving Week, 2019

I mapped that out because I thought Ruidoso might be a bit far.. it is. But Ruidosa is much better. [emoji16]

I've thought about doing that loop on my XT250 but want sure about gas range. Either there are more gas stations along the way now or I miscalculated before. My range is ~125 miles plus a 1 gallon Rotopax for ~50 miles, all depending on wind speed/direction and my speed. I'm guessing you had more than 2 gallons on your WR.

Oops, yeah, that city, not the one in New Mexico. You could definitely do this ride, just plan on stopping in Presidio, Marfa, and Alpine to gas up. There isn't anything in Ruidosa. Nothing.

I have an extended tank (4.7 gallons) and didn't stop in Presidio and my fuel light came on. Even worse is that we stopped there, but I didn't get any fuel. I made it to Marfa, but my fuel light was on and I was concerned. And put gas in your rotopax. I've been on a ride where a guy had a rotopax, but didn't fill it because he didn't think it would be needed. Yep, we almost ran dry then.

Pinto Canyon Road is a nice little dirt road (the southern end).

Oops, yeah, that city, not the one in New Mexico. You could definitely do this ride, just plan on stopping in Presidio, Marfa, and Alpine to gas up. There isn't anything in Ruidosa. Nothing.

I have an extended tank (4.7 gallons) and didn't stop in Presidio and my fuel light came on. Even worse is that we stopped there, but I didn't get any fuel. I made it to Marfa, but my fuel light was on and I was concerned. And put gas in your rotopax. I've been on a ride where a guy had a rotopax, but didn't fill it because he didn't think it would be needed. Yep, we almost ran dry then.

Pinto Canyon Road is a nice little dirt road (the southern end).
I don't get why you'd bring it empty. When I bring my Rotopax, it's never empty. In 4 years I've used it only twice, and one of those was to help some fellow riders in their SUV pulling a trailer full of bikes between Alpine and Terlingua. Usually it comes home full and the gas goes in the lawnmower.

Cool. This is on my list now.

I'm 95% sure I'll make the ride but not the whole week. My son might make it also (another WR250R, but stock range). Two riding days on Mon-Tue, 11/25 - 11/26.

I don't get why you'd bring it empty. When I bring my Rotopax, it's never empty. In 4 years I've used it only twice, and one of those was to help some fellow riders in their SUV pulling a trailer full of bikes between Alpine and Terlingua. Usually it comes home full and the gas goes in the lawnmower.

Cool. This is on my list now.

I'm 95% sure I'll make the ride but not the whole week. My son might make it also (another WR250R, but stock range). Two riding days on Mon-Tue, 11/25 - 11/26.

It wasn't me with the rotopax, but yes. I think he thought it wasn't needed that day and lets not mess around with that extra 8 lbs. But just do that once and your buddies will remember that FOREVER. :lol2: They'll age and not even remember their own name, but will recall the rotopax incident and recount that to anyone within earshot whenever they see you.

Looking forward to seeing you out there!

It wasn't me with the rotopax, but yes. I think he thought it wasn't needed that day and lets not mess around with that extra 8 lbs. But just do that once and your buddies will remember that FOREVER. [emoji38]2: They'll age and not even remember their own name, but will recall the rotopax incident and recount that to anyone within earshot whenever they see you.

Haha great point to remember!

Nah, I knew it wasn't you. I should have written that I don't know why anyone would bring it empty. I get the value of being light but I'm not advanced enough to worry about 8 lbs. making a difference. My bike is relatively light and I mount it low, next to the rear wheel.

It wasn't me with the rotopax, but yes. I think he thought it wasn't needed that day and lets not mess around with that extra 8 lbs. But just do that once and your buddies will remember that FOREVER. :lol2: They'll age and not even remember their own name, but will recall the rotopax incident and recount that to anyone within earshot whenever they see you.

Yeah - trust me they’ll never let you live it down. :rolleyes:

New to the group. Sounds like fun. Wife has already said I can go. Would probably riding out the 27 or 28. Any camping sites left that a guy could share? I may be able to up Kevins $20. [emoji2369]And just for the record, I have a clutch. [emoji23] Will probably ride the 1200 Tiger so I will be mainly asphalt and gravel roads. The likes of Pinto Canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New to the group. Sounds like fun. Wife has already said I can go. Would probably riding out the 27 or 28. Any camping sites left that a guy could share? I may be able to up Kevins $20. [emoji2369]And just for the record, I have a clutch. [emoji23] Will probably ride the 1200 Tiger so I will be mainly asphalt and gravel roads. The likes of Pinto Canyon.

Welcome. I’m sure we’ll be able to squeeze you in. Most camping places seem to allow more than one tent in each spot, I’m not sure about this place.

I apparently have approval for this trip. Now, do I find a room somewhere (have only stayed at Chisos Mining Co x3) or see about an RV spot? Guess I'll get on the phone and make some calls.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

That didn't take long. RV reservation made! 30 amp site, wife will come along but she doesn't ride. 23rd-27th. I'll have the DR650.

Last edited:

Heyyyy duuuuuddde, no other bidders allowed [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I will ride with you, I think my twin has been vaccinated against all things British [emoji41]

Thinking about this as I was thinking about Xmas and NY. I have never been to BB, is camping cool enough this time of year? Note, I grew up in AK, the SWMBO in MI. I would trailer down then ride.

Thinking about this as I was thinking about Xmas and NY. I have never been to BB, is camping cool enough this time of year? Note, I grew up in AK, the SWMBO in MI. I would trailer down then ride.
I've been once in early November and the weather was fantastic. 70's during the day.

Sent from my gummint spying device using Tapatalk

While weather is unpredictable, the usual weather should be great this time of year. But no guarantees.

Dang, are we talking about thanksgiving 2019 already? Boy. I wish I could escape the family scene and join in. Even if I don't have a cute ride like an Africa Twin. Ya'll know a new one is coming out, making all existing ones worth $5K less 6 months from now. It will be a good time for me to buy a 2018 model :-)

Will some of the group ride over to the Candaleria area for a day ride ?
Is that dirt, paved or both? I've been to Presidio, Candelaria is another 49 miles along the river (according to Google Maps) and about 90 minutes along 170. It looks paved but maybe the speed limit is slow. What's at Candelaria?

Back