• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend at Thanksgiving Week, 2019

Reaction score
First Name
David
After the last few years of doing Big Bend at Christmas and experiencing "mediocre" weather, a local suggested we should look at Thanksgiving week, so that's exactly what we're doing.

We have a small group already committed and we're inviting YOU to come out too.

Generally we've stayed Big Bend Resorts & Adventures and we meet up every morning at the Chili Pepper Cafe for breakfast (both the food and the wifi are great) and planning that days activities. But there are many other places to stay and eat in BB. I know some of us will be camping (at the same place) as well.

I'll be likely coming out Friday (11/22) or Saturday (11/23) and returning Sat (11/30).

Post up here if your planning on coming...

I am interested, Dahveed. Are you riding your GS or trailering your WR? I haven't been out to BB in 3-4 years and need that "BB fix". I will only be able to stay for 2-3 days, though.

I am interested, Dahveed. Are you riding your GS or trailering your WR? I haven't been out to BB in 3-4 years and need that "BB fix". I will only be able to stay for 2-3 days, though.

I might be taking both on a trailer. For sure the WR is going. But there is plenty of great riding for little or big bikes out there. Plus hiking, rafting, etc...

Hope you can make it. I missed you at Rod's Kerrville thing.

I just booked Rancho Topanga camping spot for Sun-Fri. I'm still unsure if I'll make it, but thought I'd pass along Pat's (half of Rancho Topanga ownership [emoji16]) comments that they are always packed that week. Anyone interested in going should think about making hotel/camping reservations early.

Yes, I think that is a busy time of year for them. I just booked at the BB Resort. I had actually called the front desk earlier and left a message. Nobody ever called back, so I called their booking service instead.

Interesting... I am getting a little saturated with the Christmas Crowd out there. Used to be fun but the influx of tourons has kinda sucked the fun out of the party. This thread, an eye open I will keep.

I would like to join you guys. Sounds like fun. Just got a new Africa Twin yesterday. I'll also bring my XR 650. Did trail to nowhere and Black forks, I think creek, last year. sounds fun.

I would like to join you guys. Sounds like fun. Just got a new Africa Twin yesterday. I'll also bring my XR 650. Did trail to nowhere and Black forks, I think creek, last year. sounds fun.

Congratulations on your new bike! Hope you can make it out then.

Interesting... I am getting a little saturated with the Christmas Crowd out there. Used to be fun but the influx of tourons has kinda sucked the fun out of the party. This thread, an eye open I will keep.

It will be interesting to see the changes out there from Christmas to Thanksgiving. I just got around to reinstalling the rotor guard you found at the Hilton and sent me. Thanks again.

Reactions: Tom
Just heard from a friend that the resort we're staying at (there are others) is down to 9 rooms left and 26 RV spots (out of 130). I know everyone is focused on summer riding now, but Thanksgiving is a popular time at BB. If your thinking of going, you'd be smart to reserve a room/camp spot now. They can always be canceled (72 hours I think) if you decide you can't go.

Large popcorn please. I'd love to have a little dual sport idea to see some off road riding and the sights, but the paved roads are posted 60-70% of comfortable speed and can be a bit boring at posted speeds, which can be enforced. I grew up in Nevada so love the desert scenery, and the warp speeds it encourages. But alas in BB, chill out and go really slow... Actually, it is not a bad idea given the javalina population is like squirrels elsewhere.

Big Dave, if you are inviting me....I guess I will come.

Anybody want to share a camping spot?

Last edited:

Africa Twins suck....especially those automatic ones [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

This is big bend over thanksgiving [emoji1787]

d2ae4993858080492a90818ae8b6c837.jpg

Large popcorn please. I'd love to have a little dual sport idea to see some off road riding and the sights, but the paved roads are posted 60-70% of comfortable speed and can be a bit boring at posted speeds, which can be enforced. I grew up in Nevada so love the desert scenery, and the warp speeds it encourages. But alas in BB, chill out and go really slow... Actually, it is not a bad idea given the javalina population is like squirrels elsewhere.

I have been told repeatedly (by locals) that there are only 3 sheriffs in Brewster county. They tend to be too busy to do much traffic enforcement. But thanksgiving is a busy week there, so maybe they’ll have a bigger presence during that time. The National park is a different story. They have they’re own police force, so tickets can be an issue.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in going, and should be able to commit within the next few weeks. I'd plan on attending Wednesday to Sunday.

Back