• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend: Can't get enough! (lots of pics/videos)

Thanks, Jason, for taking the time to read it. It seems a little long as I look back on it. Too much fun to just post a couple of pictures.

Great post from Start to Finish, on my last trip to BB I learned that LaKiva sell shiner for $1 ea.

What a great trip!

Was I dreaming or were there some pics of the Terlingua Ranch HQ and restaurant? My wife grew up on Terlingua Ranch and her parents ran the place for many years. As a matter of fact, one of my daughters was christened on the patio outside the restaurant at the Terlingua Ranch HQ.

We were back there this summer...beautiful country. Nice write up. I bet there's lots of people pulling out the maps and scheduling vacation after reading this thread...:clap: :clap: :clap:

You weren't dreaming, we were there. One of our lunches was at the Bad Rabbit Cafe, the restaurant . Just across the street from the HQ and next to the patio.

Great report :clap:
You going to join the Desert Rats down there over Xmas? :trust:
and....I'd like to find that route of your's on top the hill....... I'll show you the Reed's Plateau route.

Great report :clap:
You going to join the Desert Rats down there over Xmas? :trust:
and....I'd like to find that route of your's on top the hill....... I'll show you the Reed's Plateau route.

I can't get any vacation during the xmas season. 23 years with the department and there are still too many with seniority in my position. :giveup: The way things are going I might be able to draw that time of year a couple of times before I retire. AFter that it won't matter. :zen:

More photos

The last of the photos have been loaded. Here are the best of what was left out, IMHO. In no particular order.

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00516.jpg

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00599.jpg

DSC00585.jpg

DSC00568.jpg

th_MOV00494.jpg

th_MOV00512.jpg

Last edited:
you can post more, we won't complain

Great report!!! Read every word and thoroughly enjoyed it. :clap: :clap:

Number three on the old view counter. I can't compete with Beemerchef and Alaska though. Thanks everyone. :clap: This really was a great trip.

Ah, the memories. Perry and I are prepping the bikes for our summer trip and reading these old reports is perfect motivational material.

Re: Day 4; New territory.

When Doug and I was there at that spot. We were drinking a bottle of water and eating a snack when we heard a bike start up. Down off the hill came the guy you are talking about on an XR400. He pulled up and asked if we would like to sit in the shade and have a cold beer. You get one guess what my answer was. We followed him up the hill there was his nice cover with chairs, ice chest full of beer and a table with a cage on it with four rattle snakes. He was a nice guy, but different. He would slap the cage often with a fly swatter and say sing to the snakes and they would all start rattling. I said he was different, but the beer was good and cold. He worked for a local ranch and live there. Nice guy living a simple life.

Good report, sorry for your accidents.

On a hill overlooking the end of the road sat a travel trailer with permanent power drop, a pickup truck, and a picnic table with a steel cover for shade. At the table sat a man and his dog who watched us the entire time we were there. :wary: I wonder who he pissed of to get that lonely assignment.

How many "deals" were arranged at this old pay phone. Would be nice to find an old recording device and listen in on history.
54DavePhone.jpg

Bruce, Reading you RR and setting here considering the next bike purchase. The roads in Big Bend, are they too umimproved to ride a DS like a BMW 650 or 800? The KLRs have more power but are heavier than your 400 Suzuki. Which is the better choice in the unimproved roads in BB? I am trying to figure out how much DS to opt for and of course how much pave road capability to give up.

Thanks for the bump.
I had not seen this report before. Thanks for the effort of placing the pics and describing the ride. Hope to make it for Feb.

Bruce, Reading you RR and setting here considering the next bike purchase. The roads in Big Bend, are they too umimproved to ride a DS like a BMW 650 or 800? The KLRs have more power but are heavier than your 400 Suzuki. Which is the better choice in the unimproved roads in BB? I am trying to figure out how much DS to opt for and of course how much pave road capability to give up.

Nice to see the old report come back to life. :-) All of the bikes you've mentioned would do fine on the roads in the the park. The heavy adventure bikes like the 1200GS, the Stroms, and the older Tigers can have problems coping with the sandy sections. Especially if you are there when the roads haven't been maintained in a while. HERE is a trip I took out there on a '96 Tiger which convinced me look for a lighter dual sport. You really need to consider how much highway you plan to ride in your dual sport adventures. If you are hauling to where you are riding and just need a street legal bike to get between trail sections then I'd recommend that you go light. If you plan on riding the bike across country on the road to where you plan to ride some dirt roads then the heavier bikes are the way to go.

Larger bikes should not have any problems.. for any bike... just stay on the throttle, sit back and use your butt for balance and your feet to steer.

There is only one spot in the entire area that I would consider it deep sand, and its not really sand, its more like deep silt with rocks under it... that is in Terlingua Ranch.. and a 2005 Tiger handled it just fine.

Nice to see the old report come back to life. :-) All of the bikes you've mentioned would do fine on the roads in the the park. The heavy adventure bikes like the 1200GS, the Stroms, and the older Tigers can have problems coping with the sandy sections. Especially if you are there when the roads haven't been maintained in a while. HERE is a trip I took out there on a '96 Tiger which convinced me look for a lighter dual sport. You really need to consider how much highway you plan to ride in your dual sport adventures. If you are hauling to where you are riding and just need a street legal bike to get between trail sections then I'd recommend that you go light. If you plan on riding the bike across country on the road to where you plan to ride some dirt roads then the heavier bikes are the way to go.

Back