• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend December

JSeely

Reaction score
I had to miss the Hill Country 500 and....being quite frustrated about that, started planning another dual sport trip in 2019. I am thinking the week of 16 December for a Big Bend trip. Anyone interested? I am good alone, with one other or 100 others. Just want to go challenge myself and get out in the wind.

I just returned from BB.

But I might consider another trip ...

Looks like campsites are filling fast. I booked Loop 2 in Rio Grande Village from 14 Dec till 19 Dec. Hoping work and/or life doesn't get in the way of good plans!

I may be up for that weekend. I was initially going the week before to Roll the Bones but unfortunately it was canceled.

Any suggestions or tips for dual sport riding down there? Best roads, areas to watch out for?

Pay attention to speed limits in the park ... there is no tolerence.
Trails are 25mph and paved is 45.

Don't venture off the trails.
Stay on the roads.

Marathon was sandy and silty.
Takes significant speed to maintain control.

Old Ore is a great road.
After the recent rains, it has deep ruts in places.
Lots of stratches with loose rocks, decents and climbs with loose rocks.
Rocks range from dinner plate size flat pieces, golf/softball/basketball sized rollers ...

Fill up with gas at every opportunity.
It's nothing to go 100 miles between gas stations.

I wanted to try Black Gap road, but haven't made it, yet.

Actually, don't ride on trails. Trails are non-motorized use only.
Unpaved roads have a 25MPH limit,
Paved roads, 45MPH,
Best to use the same terminology as the Enforcement Rangers.
I personally have never confirmed any report of citations off pavement in the National Park. Many confirmations of citations on the paved roads in NP and on unpaved roads in the State Park.

Great information. Thanks Mitch & JT. This is one place I am glad to have 125 mile capacity for the KLR gas tank.

Here is the downloadable official NP map Big Bend National Park map. They have always given out a paper copy of this map at entrances to the park. The map distinguishes between roads and trails and has all the detail most folks will need. I keep it on my phone as backup to the paper copy. Garmin City Navigator has these roads, too.

The river road is 50+ miles long and the return trip via Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive or Old Maverick Road would be a good day's ride. The River Road is not the most scenic part of the park, but several roads tee off and go to the Rio Grande for some scenic canyon views. A trip to BB without hiking to the Windows is an opportunity missed. You'll get to ride the road to the Chisos Basin on your way to the trailhead. It's the best paved road in the park IMHO.
mitchntx said, "Old Ore is a great road," and I agree. You could make it a mainly dirt loop ride by including Glenn Springs or Black Gap Road. Black Gap is the hardest road that I've been on in the park.

Hiking out to Ernst Tenaha off Old Oar is worth the time. Catching the light just right can make for an amazing view. Riding the NP can occupy a few days but there are several splendid hiking trails when your tail gets sore. Good to remember both the ocean and the desert can bite anyone in the butt. Go prepared. The ranger station over near Lahitez has a wide selection of books and literature on the region. Have a great trip.

Great feedback guys. I have backpacked down there about the same time of year and it is amazing.
And be prepared is definitely a big part of either the backpack or bike plans for me. I'll also adjust plans depending on if I am alone or with others.

Best laid plans of mice and men often go awry...
Just found out my son is graduating with his Masters. Great news! Ceremony is...14th in Albuquerque. Hmm. So now my trip is down to the 16th till the 19th. Still psyched!

Dang
Big Bend in January. Have to cancel my December plans. Too much work and life got in the way. Being an adult sucks sometimes :-?

If anyone is actually able to go, and wants to make a run to BB soon I'm in. I prefer a half baked plan as a ride/camp run. Would love to do a little 4 or more day ride, likely Jan. after the world chills a bit. Maybe one day down, one back and a couple riding around, or recuperating if the 500 mile day down kills ya. It shouldn't as its easy going hill country cruising and you can stay off I-10 for the most part and not get neck kinks :-)

For me it's maybe do some light unpaved stuff down there given my steed is an R1200GSA, and I'm easy on my bikes, and don't like to drop em on routes that are better suited to smaller DS bikes. I don't know the dirt roads out there but did Maverick a couple years ago on my Stelvio. It was basically a gravel driveway with perhaps a little work needed in spots for about 20 miles if remember correctly. I've heard it can change with rain.

Looks like I have an opening to do BB Jan 24 through 27. I would drive down early (from Dallas) on the 24th, play for two days, then drive back on the 27th. I will be camping, but havent made my reservations yet.

Made good use of my time while on a conference call. Booked in Rio Grande Village CG (loop 2) for the three nights/four days. I am not a highly skilled off roader, so I am open to anyone who wants to come enjoy the dirt roads and explore, no need to be an advanced rider. Can't wait to get out there!

If anyone is actually able to go, and wants to make a run to BB soon I'm in. I prefer a half baked plan as a ride/camp run. Would love to do a little 4 or more day ride, likely Jan. after the world chills a bit. Maybe one day down, one back and a couple riding around, or recuperating if the 500 mile day down kills ya. It shouldn't as its easy going hill country cruising and you can stay off I-10 for the most part and not get neck kinks :-)

For me it's maybe do some light unpaved stuff down there given my steed is an R1200GSA, and I'm easy on my bikes, and don't like to drop em on routes that are better suited to smaller DS bikes. I don't know the dirt roads out there but did Maverick a couple years ago on my Stelvio. It was basically a gravel driveway with perhaps a little work needed in spots for about 20 miles if remember correctly. I've heard it can change with rain. View attachment 249883

View attachment 249886
was that campsite at Chisos Basin?

Back