• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend December

When it rains the river road becomes almost impassable due to the clay gumbo mud. Slick as grease and packs on like crazy. The old ore road is doable. The dust is mostly ground up limestone. We encountered lots of deep water in the ruts but good hard bottom. One of my favorite riding areas. We have been on every road on a variety of bikes. Weestrom, XT250, WR250 (best choice), Trail 90, TW 200 and my beast of burden my Ural GU. 10 gal of fuel, all of the camp and cooking gear for a party of 3 and odds and ends. I did manage to tip it over on it's left side coming out of a very rutted gully on the old ore road. Thank goodness for stout nephews. He managed to get it off of me. No harm done. But I was younger then, only 79.
Love the pic Jerry! Looks like the mini bike I rode on years...and years ago. I do wish I had the budget to have a smaller bike, about the WR250 size, since I think that would be more agile and fun around that area. Hopefully my KLR, all 450lbs of it, won't end up on top of me, since I have no stout nephews along.

I figured the river road would be a mess if there has been rain recently. You confirmed that. I drove my truck there a couple years ago while it was dry and it did look like lots of nasty gumbo would appear if it got wet. I am hoping it will stay dry from how till the 14th so the roads will all be passable so I can explore all of them.

Hey guys! I'll be in Big Bend that week, staying in Terlingua. Let me know if anyone is street riding... I'll be on my Concourse.

Hey guys! I'll be in Big Bend that week, staying in Terlingua. Let me know if anyone is street riding... I'll be on my Concourse.
Carl - I will be doing a lot of dirt, but also plan to ride the roads. Let's plan on a ride while I am there.

Got another guy coming down with me that will be riding roads only on his Versys 650. So we will have a combo of roads and dirt rides, depending on the rider/bike and moods. We will be there Feb 14 (late afternoon) till morning on the 18th. Hope to see some of you guys (or ladies) down there!

Back