• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend December

yep. chisos. its great when its hot. during winter , probably the lower campgrounds would be warmer. I'm anxious to get a ride in during either Jan or Feb. Grab a few folks that want to do it and go camp. I love hotels, but have probably saved about a $150K over my lifetime by camping, which means I still have gas money :-)

yep. chisos. its great when its hot. during winter , probably the lower campgrounds would be warmer. I'm anxious to get a ride in during either Jan or Feb. Grab a few folks that want to do it and go camp. I love hotels, but have probably saved about a $150K over my lifetime by camping, which means I still have gas money :-)
Yeah, I would prefer a hotel and hot shower, but the budget doesnt allow on this trip

I might be in on this as well...if you want to add to the group. Have been looking for an opportunity. Definitely in for some dirt for sure. I'll have to check on camping

You guys are killin' me. Been to BB once on the bagger, based at the Gage hotel, and had a magical time. I can do that again, but the offroad is out. I'm 62 and in great health, but sins of the past (MX) and the damage it did, and I can't ride like that anymore. KTM is for sale. So post lots of pics, and maybe one day I'll wave at ya from the pavement, or barstool race ya at the White Buffalo.

Might be like going golfing with friends. I don't golf. But I drive a mean golf cart, and the beer cooler was never empty. :lol2:

Just returned from BBNP several days ago. Weather was perfect and actually hot one day. First time I've ridden on the interior River Road and Old Ore with mud puddles. Low dust! Sand and gravel were nicely compacted from recent rains and low traffic. However, Black Gap Road was severely eroded and in worse shape than I've ever seen. While this makes it interesting and fun for experienced riders, novices need to be very careful.

Sadly, the Castlon store and the adjacent building that was the restroom burned this spring. It's all chain link fences off. There is a new building, sort of a semi-temporary structure, where the new store is. This was just opened in November. Same nice lady works there. She and her husband live in one of the historical buildings-residences on site. She said fast moving brush fire got it. The dried grass thatch roof on the pipe ramada helped fuel the fire. I often thought about that over the years. Anyway, there is a covered area at the store with picnic tables to take a break.

Had an EXCELLENT blue cheese bacon burger at the Sierra Grill.

It was a great break from the grind. We felt like we had the park to ourselves. Very few there last week. Sure that will change closer to Christmas.
Regards!

Guys , looks like theres at least 3 of us ready to go on a 4-5 day run to BB for mostly street but some gravel on big bikes in early to mid Feb. JSeeley, are you interested? we will camp due to our own budget challenges.

Just returned from BBNP several days ago. Weather was perfect and actually hot one day. First time I've ridden on the interior River Road and Old Ore with mud puddles. Low dust! Sand and gravel were nicely compacted from recent rains and low traffic. However, Black Gap Road was severely eroded and in worse shape than I've ever seen. While this makes it interesting and fun for experienced riders, novices need to be very careful.

Sadly, the Castlon store and the adjacent building that was the restroom burned this spring. It's all chain link fences off. There is a new building, sort of a semi-temporary structure, where the new store is. This was just opened in November. Same nice lady works there. She and her husband live in one of the historical buildings-residences on site. She said fast moving brush fire got it. The dried grass thatch roof on the pipe ramada helped fuel the fire. I often thought about that over the years. Anyway, there is a covered area at the store with picnic tables to take a break.

Had an EXCELLENT blue cheese bacon burger at the Sierra Grill.

It was a great break from the grind. We felt like we had the park to ourselves. Very few there last week. Sure that will change closer to Christmas.
Regards!
Thanks for the report.
I’m going to the “Round the Bend” in February. I’d like to ride down Old Ore Road, River Road, and Old Maverick Road.
I ride at an average speed. How long do you think it would take to do that loop?

Thanks for the report.
I’m going to the “Round the Bend” in February. I’d like to ride down Old Ore Road, River Road, and Old Maverick Road.
I ride at an average speed. How long do you think it would take to do that loop?

You can ride all the interior roads in one day but it can be tiring for many riders. If you've never been to the park, I recommend riding the paved interior loop with the overlooks, visiting Chisos Basin and Old Ore Road on one day, and the second day ride Old Maverick/interior River Road/Black Gap. Of course, Highway 170 to Presidio and visiting Fort Leaton is fun also.

Old Ore and the interior River Roads can be difficult in places for novice off-road riders because of sand and gravel and in a few places, rock ledges with loose gravel around them. I like going slow and stopping frequently for snacks and water. There is a lot to see in the park.

Take everything you need for basic repair and to survive while help comes if you really break down badly or are hurt. Several years back I watched one rider air-evacuated out of Old Ore and another was air evacuated from Black Gap. I think that fellow broke his leg when a pannier hit it. He was on a GS 1200. Be careful. People have died at BB from falls and exposure. I've assisted riders broken down with flats on the far east side of interior River Road with no tools, tire tubes, water, etc. They did not know how to remove the wheels from their motorcycle.

Many riders that air down their tires wind up with pinch flats from hitting rocks. I run regular pressure and slow down. I have a stressful job and to me, BB is about slowing down. I love stopping at Castolon and having a cup of coffee in the morning and just looking at Santa Elena pass and talking with people.

If you just want to ride Old Ore, you can do it comfortably in the morning. It takes awhile just to get to Dagger Flats, the start of the road, which is North of Panther Junction. I think Panther Junction visitor center and park HQ is approximately 25 miles from the park entrance near Study Butte. Old Ore comes out near the tunnel at Rio Grande village. It's not far from to the entrance to the East River Road which would start you on the River Road that eventually comes out on the hardball near Castolon. That road would take you at least three hours to complete if you stopped regularly to hydrate and relax a bit. We always stop and rest a good bit, check out ruins etc.

I believe the speed limit on the two-track and dirt roads is 25 mph. I have seen park officers doing speed enforcement on two track roads with LIDAR(laser). This was actually at the north end of Old Ore Road. He lased me while I was picking my way along at about 10 to 15 mph. This was also during one of the "Around the Bend" meets and they know there are a number of dual sport and adventure riders in the park. Along Old Ore, I've seen geology students in Sul Ross University vehicles, butterfly collectors, horseback riders, mountain bikers, hikers and one poor soul attempting to tow a beautiful HUGE Air Stream trailer down Old Ore from Dagger Flats. That was ugly.

Hope this helps! Now I can hardly wait for the end of February!

I have seen park officers doing speed enforcement on two track roads with LIDAR(laser)
Really - WOW. I've never seen 'em off the pavement.

IMO, attempting River Road and Old Ore in one day is a bad idea, unless you've done 'em before and know what's ahead. Especially in Dec with limited daylight (or June in blazing heat). Take two days, stop to smell the cactus flowers (not actually out now) and enjoy the views. Perhaps plan a dip in the hot springs...

I've come across rangers on several primitive roads in the park. During peak times and events like ATB, they step up there presence on these roads. Last time there with my wife jeeping, came across two and the second one showed an aerial picture of a white Jeep they were looking for that was illegally camping in the arroyos. I ratted the guy out and told the ranger we just passed him going north on old ore. So, not only do you have to look for dust, you must look up if you want to break the rules.

Guys , looks like theres at least 3 of us ready to go on a 4-5 day run to BB for mostly street but some gravel on big bikes in early to mid Feb. JSeeley, are you interested? we will camp due to our own budget challenges.

I got some vacation time accrued around that time frame, so what's the dates?

You can ride all the interior roads in one day but it can be tiring for many riders. If you've never been to the park, I recommend riding the paved interior loop with the overlooks, visiting Chisos Basin and Old Ore Road on one day, and the second day ride Old Maverick/interior River Road/Black Gap. Of course, Highway 170 to Presidio and visiting Fort Leaton is fun also.

Old Ore and the interior River Roads can be difficult in places for novice off-road riders because of sand and gravel and in a few places, rock ledges with loose gravel around them. I like going slow and stopping frequently for snacks and water. There is a lot to see in the park.

Take everything you need for basic repair and to survive while help comes if you really break down badly or are hurt. Several years back I watched one rider air-evacuated out of Old Ore and another was air evacuated from Black Gap. I think that fellow broke his leg when a pannier hit it. He was on a GS 1200. Be careful. People have died at BB from falls and exposure. I've assisted riders broken down with flats on the far east side of interior River Road with no tools, tire tubes, water, etc. They did not know how to remove the wheels from their motorcycle.

Many riders that air down their tires wind up with pinch flats from hitting rocks. I run regular pressure and slow down. I have a stressful job and to me, BB is about slowing down. I love stopping at Castolon and having a cup of coffee in the morning and just looking at Santa Elena pass and talking with people.

If you just want to ride Old Ore, you can do it comfortably in the morning. It takes awhile just to get to Dagger Flats, the start of the road, which is North of Panther Junction. I think Panther Junction visitor center and park HQ is approximately 25 miles from the park entrance near Study Butte. Old Ore comes out near the tunnel at Rio Grande village. It's not far from to the entrance to the East River Road which would start you on the River Road that eventually comes out on the hardball near Castolon. That road would take you at least three hours to complete if you stopped regularly to hydrate and relax a bit. We always stop and rest a good bit, check out ruins etc.

I believe the speed limit on the two-track and dirt roads is 25 mph. I have seen park officers doing speed enforcement on two track roads with LIDAR(laser). This was actually at the north end of Old Ore Road. He lased me while I was picking my way along at about 10 to 15 mph. This was also during one of the "Around the Bend" meets and they know there are a number of dual sport and adventure riders in the park. Along Old Ore, I've seen geology students in Sul Ross University vehicles, butterfly collectors, horseback riders, mountain bikers, hikers and one poor soul attempting to tow a beautiful HUGE Air Stream trailer down Old Ore from Dagger Flats. That was ugly.

Hope this helps! Now I can hardly wait for the end of February!

IMO, attempting River Road and Old Ore in one day is a bad idea, unless you've done 'em before and know what's ahead. Especially in Dec with limited daylight (or June in blazing heat). Take two days, stop to smell the cactus flowers (not actually out now) and enjoy the views. Perhaps plan a dip in the hot springs...
Thanks for the feedback. Is the map below, showing day 1 and day 2 routes, practical?
?hash=ba1066c6da295b96f1dc40858dccc8cc.jpg

Attachments

• A9C2F337-0E5B-4787-83E5-4BE834186330.jpeg
    A9C2F337-0E5B-4787-83E5-4BE834186330.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 182
Thanks for the feedback. Is the map below, showing day 1 and day 2 routes, practical?

Yep, looks FUN. If day 2 ends sooner than you expect, you can loop back south and to Glen Springs -> Black Gap -> River Road back to pavement then home. Personally, I'd to that instead of your trip up to the basin.

You guys are killin' me. Been to BB once on the bagger, based at the Gage hotel, and had a magical time. I can do that again, but the offroad is out. I'm 62 and in great health, but sins of the past (MX) and the damage it did, and I can't ride like that anymore. KTM is for sale. So post lots of pics, and maybe one day I'll wave at ya from the pavement, or barstool race ya at the White Buffalo.

Might be like going golfing with friends. I don't golf. But I drive a mean golf cart, and the beer cooler was never empty. :lol2:
You can drive the follow vehicle to pick up broken bodies and feed beer :-)

Hope you all had a great Christmas and New Years and maybe got a ride or two in.
So I added one day to my trip, so I will now arrive later afternoon on Friday the 24th of Jan and will be leaving early morning on the 28th. I plan on spending as much time on the various dirt roads as possible, since I have lots of paved rides up here near Denton, but not much good scenic dirt.

I am pretty new to this forum. What is the easiest way to connect, trade cell numbers and coordinate for anyone who wants to go on those days?

Looking forward to getting down there!

Yet another change. I have a work trip that just showed up on this weekend, so I am going to have to move my trip out another week. Trying to get out there the 31st till the 4th.

I’m interested. Never been and newbie rider.

I’m interested. Never been and newbie rider.
Looks like you have a big bike too! That will take several of us to pick up if you tip over :-)

I am looking at my work calendar now and nothing is going to work for me until about the 14th of Feb. Luckily my wife doesnt care much about Valentines Day!

I have to agree, for me Old Ore and E&W River Road were very difficult and exhausting. I wouldn't recommend doing them both in one day, especially on a big bike,

For some reason my profile got corrupted, so I am back with a new profile (was JSeely).

Got everything confirmed for the trip 14 to 18 Feb and, by sheer luck, BB National Park opened up another bunch of campsites to their reservation system, so was able to grab a site in Chisos Basin for the entire time.

If anyone thinks they will go around that time, whether to ride on pavement or dirt, let me know and we'll coordinate.

Yeah, I would prefer a hotel and hot shower, but the budget doesnt allow on this trip
There are showers yes! These are located at the Rio Grande Village Store. There is a charge for showers; a change machine is available, and showers are available 24/7. The cost is about a dollar for 5 minutes of running hot water. Showers are nice and clean. There is also a laundromat in the same compound.

I might be in on this as well...if you want to add to the group. Have been looking for an opportunity. Definitely in for some dirt for sure. I'll have to check on camping
There are 3 camping areas around BBNP which are considered “developed” (water and flushable toilets or compost toilets). These are Chisos Basin, Rio Grande Village, and Cottonwood campgrounds. The first usually fills in fast as the park allows reservations up to 6mos in advance. Also Chisos Basin is popular because of the area which offers great weather for camping year-round.
Rio Grande Village has both first come-first served sites and reservable sites, this one is also considerably larger so you will likely find available sites to camp at anytime.
And last, Cottonwood, all sites there are first come-first served sites, and since the Castolon store nearby recently went up in flames, not many people choose to stay in that campground.
In addition there are many primitive sites throughout BBNP, those do require reservation which can be done at the park. No running water or facilities except bear boxes, but nothing beats the price, no fee for the primitive camping itself, instead you only pay a Backcountry permit fee of $12 bucks good for 7 days. Combine that with a hot shower at the Rio Grande Village store and you will indeed be a happy camper :D

There are showers yes! These are located at the Rio Grande Village Store. There is a charge for showers; a change machine is available, and showers are available 24/7. The cost is about a dollar for 5 minutes of running hot water. Showers are nice and clean. There is also a laundromat in the same compound.
Good to know! I am sure I will be willing to pay some change for a hot shower. Didn't realize that was available. Thanks for the heads up Aryb

When it rains the river road becomes almost impassable due to the clay gumbo mud. Slick as grease and packs on like crazy. The old ore road is doable. The dust is mostly ground up limestone. We encountered lots of deep water in the ruts but good hard bottom. One of my favorite riding areas. We have been on every road on a variety of bikes. Weestrom, XT250, WR250 (best choice), Trail 90, TW 200 and my beast of burden my Ural GU. 10 gal of fuel, all of the camp and cooking gear for a party of 3 and odds and ends. I did manage to tip it over on it's left side coming out of a very rutted gully on the old ore road. Thank goodness for stout nephews. He managed to get it off of me. No harm done. But I was younger then, only 79.

Back