• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend II

Great report Tony......love the Big Bend area.
By the way, concerning tank range, my stock DR has been getting anywhere from 50 to 60 mpg, usually around 56. Pretty decent range with the stock 3.4 gal. tank, but I recently put the IMS 4.9 tank on there and that really helps. I also understand that IMS did finally develop a 5 gal. tank for the Husky; should be available very soon, according to some guys over at ADVrider.com.

Don

I wish I had known you guys needed gas. I keep a good bit up at the ranch and could have topped off all your tanks. I'll be sure to ask how your gas situation is next time.

Randy

I still have my report to post...as soon as I get motivated enough...I'm still in deep depression over the scroungy weather we had :( ...I think I may need therapy.:eek2:

Chris guarding the Woodford ...

142554377-M.jpg

[ ... stay tuned ... ]

Now there's a job I wouldn't be very good at! The Woodford Reserve is some really good stuff, if you like bourbon, but just wondering, have you guys tried the Knob Creek? Hunert proof, and it goes down soooooooooo smooooooth.

I wish I had known you guys needed gas. I keep a good bit up at the ranch and could have topped off all your tanks. I'll be sure to ask how your gas situation is next time.

Randy

We all made it back to Study Butte...although, I had to stop about 10 miles north and add the 2 liters I was carrying...thanks for the invite to your ranch...it's a beautiful place...

Skinny

I can't wait to go back to big bend when it is dry :giveup: . There are many roads and trails we didn't get to see, bummer :miffed:. I hope to get back there at least once more this year. Maybe Alaska next year :rider:

Friday Night ... Back at the Starlight Theater!

With a slight sidetrack ... We went by to see if Uncle was in town ... Nope ... we left a card and a sticker ...

142555900-M.jpg

Some would say going to the same place can get boring, but going to the Starlight is like experiencing performance art. The cast of characters changes all the time (except at the bar) and every experience there is a new experience. I will say, the food it always top drawer and consistent. I have been eating at the Starlight for many years and ... the food, the service, the patrons, all of “it” has always been great.

As the commercial ends, the music fades and the screen dims to black, we return to our regularly scheduled show ...

Steve
142556109-M.jpg

Skinny
142556516-M.jpg

Chris
142556301-M.jpg

Me, myself, and I ... which are only 3 out of my twelve personalities
142556660-M.jpg

Our waitress for the evening ... no, I did not ask her name :ponder: ... I will ask next time
142556850-M.jpg

And I know I will lose a number of attaboys, but I did not think to get a photo of our food when it arrived. We were lost in conversation and the Shiner and wine probably affected my phocus.

Frankly, I don’t know why I was laughing at that point, as I had just discovered that the sand I fell in earlier (when my bike got tired and wanted to take a nap) had got into the focus system of my camera lens ... one camera that would have to be sent off for (hopefully) repairs [editors note: may she rest in peace as she wings to Illinois for repairs]. Bummer, that will turn out to be an expensive nap ... at least it wasn’t my Canon D20.

As the previous evening ended late and with a bit of fanfare, we determined to keep this evening in check.

As posted in another thread long ago, I am the youngest person of the group. I recently determined that, between us, we have accumulated

Lets see ... between us ... 237 years of experience on earth and 160+ years of experience on bikes.

So we feel qualified to solve the worlds problems and yet are smart enough to never take notes.

[ ... more soon ... sooner than last time ... personal introductions upcoming ... ]

So are you liking that DR650 pretty well? That was my friends bike that you bought. I was just wondering if it was working out for you.

So are you liking that DR650 pretty well? That was my friends bike that you bought. I was just wondering if it was working out for you.

Doing great!

I just got the photos uploaded for Big Bend III, which includes a photo of the bike with the new tank and seat.

It has been everything I wanted. I feel much more confident on it than I did on my XR. It will not go as quickly through the rough stuff, but I knew that going in. This bike is a long distance runner rather than a sprinter.

You and Joe need to come out sometime and we will show y'all some of the backcountry we have found.

Be watching for Big Bend III, coming soon to a computer screen near you!

Good deal on your DR 650 and the invite to check out some country roads up in your area. We would like to do that.

I'll be watching for your next ride report, you do great write ups!

Well, it has been too long. Life grabbed me by the horns and tossed me into the pool named work for a while. If I could only learn how to make these forays into the wilderness of my soul pay, I would.

In any case, as promised ...

Personal Introductions ...

Steve aka XR650Rocketman

Steve and I first met only a couple of years ago, but we have become fast and furious friends! Actually he would be the fast and me the furious ... in any case, I digress.

Steve has been riding almost forever and has the skills to prove it. Nobody that I ride with is smoother. Steve rides as smooth as a hot knife through butter.

142556109-M.jpg

Now that can be a good, or a bad, thing, depending upon your viewpoint. I have found myself way over my head a time or two while mesmerized following his rear ... knobby, you bunch of perverts!

Shared joys and pain have cemented our relationship in ways that belie the years.

142552795-M.jpg

Never at a loss for a smile!

¡Salud, mi amigo!

Steve aka Skinny

I first met Skinny at Terlingua Ranch a little over a year ago and we became friends instantly upon one comment he made. No, I ain’t tellin’!

152896433-M.jpg

Circumstances in Mexico placed us together on the bus to Crankytown (to blatantly steal a term from Johnny Dakar) but we persevered and we became even closer friends as a result. Four days catching rides out of Mexico and wandering the bars with Skinny cemented our friendship. With shared job interests and hobbies, we have many undiscovered conversations lurking in our future.

It doesn’t hurt a **** bit that my work world is getting ready to situate me about 60 miles east of his home as well, for the next couple of years.

We will be sharing many roads.

152893716-M-1.jpg

Here’s to you, Skinny!

Chris aka mcrider

Chris rounds out the fantastic four ... that is us for those of you that have lost the score, or are starting in the middle of the game.

142556301-M.jpg

Chris and I go back a couple of years to an unfortunate first ride in December 2005. Fast as lightening, Chris went down hard, breaking his collar bone that day.

Chris is a legend in the motorcycling community. As a long time member of TRH, Chris is heavily involved in making sure the Terlingua Dual Sport Ride lives up to the reputation for the ride that Burl Hughes built up during his years at the helm. He has also attended many ISDE events around the globe supporting the US riders in their quest for medals.

A gold medal rider himself, Chris can easily put his 625 KTM into places and situations that will make mere mortals quake.

142562728-M.jpg

Salute Chris!

Saturday - April 07, 2007

Saturday morning we arose to a dank and dreary day. OK, it was cold. At least it was cold to me. My internal heater has been turned off for the season and my blood had already began the thinning process, in preparation for summer.

Well, this was Texas and everyone knows that weather is unpredictable in Texas. After a quick trip to the Fina / Store / Restaurant for some vittles, we headed north on South County Road.

It was misty and wet and we were on a mission to find a way to connect two dots on the map, in preparation for the upcoming Terlingua Dual Sport Ride this fall.

No photos were taken, but suffice it to say that we did not find our route and we did manage to get muddy and cold. Gathering just past Terlingua Creek on North County Road, we agreed that it would be quicker, although colder, to head onward to 118 and speed south to Study Butte, rather than backtracking on roads we had just traversed. The mud was not bad, but it had it’s moments.

Moments like the last 50 feet before hitting asphalt. The drainage off the asphalt had turned the area into a soup bowl and it was slick. The DR ended up sideways and only the fact that I found asphalt, before getting completely sideways, kept me from going down.

The road back to Study Butte was windy and cold and we called a meeting to order at the corner table in the Fina / Store / Restaurant to warm up over coffee and discuss the rest of the day. The day was young and we has energy to burn.

Coffee turned into lunch and a plan was hatched. We were going to piddle in the park.

Bikes parked and gear swapped for shorts, we piled into El Camion Grande for a cagers view of Big Bend National Park. I had some ideas, but I wasn’t telling.

Soon, as soon as 45 MPH speed limits would allow anyway, we turned south and made towards the basin area. The weather had been cool and misty, but I knew that would soon change.

Rising far above the floor of the valley, the basin area is cool, even in the hottest months of summer.

We were rewarded with ... ice and snow ... go figure ... 10 miles for the southern border of Texas and we were running around like a bunch of goofs in the snow.

142558870-M.jpg

142559187-M.jpg

142559440-M.jpg

142560002-M.jpg

142560442-M.jpg

The basin was fogged in, so with a quick lap around the lodge parking lot, we were off to points south.

One last shot ...
142560633-M.jpg

Next up ... the Hot Springs

142560756-M.jpg

142560916-M.jpg

142561112-M.jpg

Well, the pool was crowded and a family was dressing ... the father DID NOT have whitey tighties on ... so no photos were attempted.

At least the cactus was telling us that spring was here.
142561270-M.jpg

Looking south ... Texas on the Left and Mexico on the Right
142561383-M.jpg

More cactus ...
142561446-M.jpg

142561698-M.jpg

142561817-M.jpg

A deer wondering why I stopped ... to take his photo ... duh!
142561930-M.jpg

Then it was off to check out the latest additions to Passing Wind
142562052-M.jpg

The Starlight served up dinner again!
142562269-M.jpg

Brittany was moving too fast for me to catch!
142562794-M.jpg

Oops, no shots of dinner. I hope dessert counts
142562868-M.jpg

Skinny and Steve toasting the night
142562917-M.jpg

Chris looks quite content
142563013-M.jpg

We had been listening to tunes the entire night and I got up and captured a few photos of the goings on.

142562473-M.jpg

142563101-M.jpg

142562415-M.jpg

142563326-M.jpg

142563671-M.jpg

Regulars at the bar ...
142563531-M.jpg

Clearly having a good time
142563781-M.jpg

One last shot ...
142564888-M.jpg

Chad came up and asked me for copies of what I had taken. Who knows, perhaps some of my photos will be used to update the Starlight website.

Sunday - Easter Morning - April 08, 2007

The day dawned a minute earlier than the previous day. What were you expecting me to say?

Steve, Chris and Skinny were going to ride, but with an 8 ½ drive in my near time future, I opted out.

Breakfast was good and I waved bye to everyone and headed north on 118.

Along the road north, the signs of spring mixed with the signs of winter.

142565155-M.jpg

142567795-M.jpg

142567982-M.jpg

142568567-M.jpg

The sun came out for a brief moment, just south of Alpine.
142611865-M.jpg

142613316-M.jpg

142613494-M.jpg

One last shot of the cold ... Brrrrr
142612049-M.jpg

The local Catholic Church appeared full
142613877-M.jpg

7+ hours later, I rolled into my driveway in Dallas.

Well that wraps up Big Bend II

Big Bend III coming soon to a screen near you.

Good write up Tony, I almost forgot you had not finished BBII. I like this picture & the others inside the Starlight.

142562269-M.jpg

Thanks for the kudos.

Here is the same photo that you linked above BEFORE I photoshopped it.

142562342-M.jpg

I'm really hoping that Chad uses the repaired one on in his website.

That guardrail was a ****** to take out.

Dang Tony....What a way to make a guy feel homesick......Can anyone imagine the culture shock difference between Brewster County and here in London, England?

It's time for a West Texas ride......

Oh yeah.....We old guys look pretty good through your camera lens, don't we?

Where's your picture and write up?

Steve

Back