• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend January 18-24

I gave up trying to true up a rim and dropped it off at a local shop.
Kept chasing about .040 run out.
I'd get it squared away in one spot and it's move somewhere else.
Hope to pick it up tomorrow.

The shop just called.

Apparently, I can true a rim.
He said there is one small hop in the rim, but its as good as it's going to get.

Shop didn't charge me anything.
They left it on the stand and showed me what they saw.

Got it home and had the tire mounted and ready to go in 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Mitch where in Granbury are you? I may have asked you before but forgot. I am in Granbury at least once a month. Will be there Sunday evening. My parents live off Reed Rd and Sky Harbor.

Sky Harbor is north of town, I believe.
I'm south of town, outside the city limits off of 144.

I think I know where that is at. I come up 51 from 67 when I drive there from Boerne. I will let you know when in town if you want to meet or I will see you Sunday night in Big Bend.

Always keen on a ride ...

I'm getting a bit anxious about the trip.
Really looking forward to it ...

Shop didn't charge me anything.
They left it on the stand and showed me what they saw.

Got it home and had the tire mounted and ready to go in 15 minutes.

So with another set of wheels with a clean bill of health, I decided to mount the Dunlops on the spare set.

The Michelin's on the bike are serviceable, but probably 1/2 done.
Figured I wear them out first and then swap on the Dunlops when needed.
The unknown was will a 130 fit and will dropping from a 48T to a 45T work without any chain length issues.

So today's tasks was to test fit the set and make any changes necessary.
Very little space left in the swingarm, but, it fit just fine.

Cleaned and lubed the chain ...

You guys will have a great time. Wish I could join but its just not possible.

Mitch, I'll catch up with you after your return and we can discuss another local ride. Maybe we can get some of the Glen Rose, Granbury guys to join in something.

Not knowing what your plans are; just be aware the national park is impacted by the government shutdown and it may continue for a while. The park is not 'closed' but some services and facilities are not available.

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/government-shutdown.htm

Thanks, I've been communicating with some people there and we'll just have to run to the front porch on Friday when I get there to get the real scoop. Even if the park is closed, there are options for other riding. I've heard they had a gate shut on Mavericks road after Christmas. Why, nobody is sure.

Are there still folks committed to this trip? If so I may be interested. I live in San Marcos and drive a land cruiser and have the option of bike carrier/hotel or I have an off road camping trailer I can pull that holds up to three bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there still folks committed to this trip? If so I may be interested. I live in San Marcos and drive a land cruiser and have the option of bike carrier/hotel or I have an off road camping trailer I can pull that holds up to three bikes.

Yep, 5 of us will be there at the moment. My bike is done and I’m getting it tomorrow.

Cool. I’ve been wanting to go to Big Bend for a long time. I grew up in El Paso and sadly have never been. Anybody from Austin/San Antonio area going and wanting to ride as a group or caravan? Are most camping or staying in a hotel?

ca5a40590e97f0339e877bf095650ab7.jpg

47ba7272fdf06d5975064cdd375f753c.jpg

I can go either way.

I’m hoteling at Big Bend Resort. But they also have an RV and tent section. What are your travel dates?

Thanks Jarrett. As many possibilities as possible is my m.o.

What about the camper? Did you build that? How well does it pull with that Toyota? Can you pull it with the bike back there like that?

Back