• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend on a short fuse.

Tom

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Lowry
Had some time after Christmas and the weather look good so thought I need a Big Bend fix. Plans started out, I was to ride the GS to Big Bend and meet the wife in the hill country 3 days later. She was going to haul the Wing up and then we would spend a few days in the Hill Country on the wing.

Well she got to stressing about trailering the bike by herself so being the softy I am, told her, “That’s OK honey, I will suffer and just ride the Wing the whole trip”.

Hop on the bike the 26th and with a cool morning start, a few hours later, I am taking a break by the Sabinal River and enjoying a cool one from the icebox.
156_5686.jpg

Looking up the river.
156_5688.jpg

Later I get to Leakey and take a room at the D Rose motorcycle only motel. Not much to eat in town, so I pull some leftover ribs out of the cooler and heat them up.
156_5690.jpg

A few peppers, cheese and another cool one and I’m good to go.
156_5691.jpg

Before turning in, I watch a little caveman TV.
156_5693.jpg

Next morning, I build a pot of coffee and wait for the sun to rise before riding. It’s a little cool this morning.
156_5694.jpg

A few hours later, I am at the park and repeat a photo op.
156_5695.jpg

It’s a nice temp, no wind, no cars and 45 mph speed limit, think I’ll let the top down.
156_5697.jpg

Passing the Chisos Mountains.
157_5704.jpg

Can you see the Border Patrol in this shot?
157_5706.jpg

I get to Study Butte about 3:30 and knowing that there are some ADVriders here (reason for wanting to bring the GS) I ride through the campground and find these characters.
157_5708.jpg

Ara (in the red jacket) has taken some time and is tooling around the country with his sidekick Spirit (in the side hack). He has a BLOG on his ride which is worth a look.

I get a room in the Big Bend Motor Lodge and unpack the bike. Starting to get hungry, I head to Terlingua and enjoy a nice steak at the Starlight.
157_5712-1.jpg

Shot of the ghost town.
157_5713.jpg

These things make a tasty beverage.
boozer.gif

157_5714.jpg

After enjoying my dinner and a couple seasonal brews, I head back towards Study Butte.

The sun going down on the distant mountains.
157_5717.jpg

You see most anything out here.
157_5711.jpg

At times, there is plenty of wind out here.
157_5720.jpg

Nice 180 and Super Cub on a little desert strip.
157_5709.jpg

Next morning, I load up and ride back through the park headed towards Marathon. Temp leaving is 47, by the time I get to Panther Junction, it’s 67 and then I drop down into the desert where it’s 43.

These extreme temperature gradients make for some interesting fog cloud effects in the mountains.
157_5722.jpg

157_5721.jpg

A few miles out of Marathon on 90 headed to Sanderson, I hit a fog bank and have to ride it in 45 degree air for about 50 miles. Heading North on US285 then East on Ranch Road 2400 I head towards Sheffield where I finally break out of the fog only to be greeted by a 35 MPH cross wind.

Scenic overlook on RR2400 East of Sheffield.
157_5723.jpg

I hit I10 and make it to Hunt and head to the River Inn where the better half pulls in about 30 minutes later.

Ahhh, nice place to kick back and relax for a few days.
157_5725.jpg

A little more caveman TV in one of their outdoor fireplaces.
157_5730.jpg

Next day, it is raining so we jump in the cage and ride over to Fredericksburg, Luckenbach and Comfort and browse some shops.

Wonder if they actually had to light the place off to win?
157_5727.jpg

On Saturday, we hop on the bike and ride over to Medena then to Tarpley for lunch at the Steep Horse Cafe. This was a good choice, friendly bunch and the food was great, recommend it highly.
thumb.gif
After some corner carving on the sisters, we head back to the Inn and call it a good time. Tomorrow, it’s a little bit of nice roads followed by interstate and boring, straight, flat roads making it back home to the coast.

Till next time,

DS

Re: Big Bens on a short fuse.

I enjoyed your report. Great photos. What camera do you use?

Desert Skies said:
Wonder if they actually had to light the place off to win?
Brutal man, brutal. :rofl:

Nicely done on the words and images. :thumb:

:clap: :clap:
Two thumbs up! Great report and photos. I can't wait to get to Big Bend in a few months.

rickmillertx said:
I enjoyed your report. Great photos. What camera do you use?

Thanks, I used a Canon SD300. The pictures are actually reduced images.

scratch said:
Brutal man, brutal. :rofl:

Nicely done on the words and images. :thumb:

Cept fer tha tipo in da titel.:lol2:

Great write up, sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

DaveC said:
Do I see a devil of a pepper in this photo?

:lol2:

That one was the best one.:eat: Red Japs are much better than green ones.

Nicely Done. Now all of y'all heading down to Big Bend, are really motivating me to head out. I am going to have to plan a weekend in March!

Thanks for sharing.
Duke

Great write up and pics. Make me wishing I had just sucked it up and rode down there this weekend.

Back